Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

The Boardwalk Ballyhoo Tour

Today was Saturday, June 27th, and it was our day off. Well, maybe I should say, our non-park day, because every day is a day off when on vacation, right? Anyway, to recap where we are in this fairly drawn-out retelling, we’d arrived mid-day on Tuesday the 23rd and then spent the next three days exhausting ourselves at the parks. It was time for a little break from our vacation.

I had read in someone else’s trip report about a tour they do of the Boardwalk resort, which kind of explains the theming and architecture in general, and points out some things you may have missed. I think they do it one or two days a week and it conveniently worked out that one of the offerings was on our day off. (Of course, I made the vacation plan and since it was something I was interested in doing, I may have had a little influence on how “conveniently” it worked out.) So anyway, that is what I had planned for the morning. I’d told the kids about it at some point, either the night before or the morning of, I can’t remember, but anyway, they didn’t seem too interested.

In the morning, while the kids dozed and Judy got ready, I went down to the Boardwalk Bakery and got some coffee and a couple of pastries to split with the kids.

IMG_9185_zpszqlhteyz.jpg

The tour was at 10am, and since we’d had what you would call a “relaxing” start to the day, we needed to get a move on. Just as we were about to leave, Lauren decided that she’d like to go, but had no time to get ready so it looked like she would miss out. (Spoiler alert for a few paragraphs in the future...don’t worry, she’ll join us part-way through.) Judy and I headed down to the BelVue Lounge, where the tour would start. At the lounge, we met our tour guide, David.

IMG_9187_zpsyq3zhvb3.jpg

This was only his second week giving the tour. Of course, since this report is taking so long for me to write, by now he’s grizzled veteran.

It turned out that we were the only people who showed up for the tour that day. What luck! A private tour! I realize that there are maybe one or two other entertainment options which can be found in the Orlando area, but I was incredulous at our good fortune, that no one else was taking advantage of this opportunity to learn more about the Boardwalk resort. We called Lauren’s cellphone and told her to quickly get ready and try to join us midway (not intended as a Boardwalk/Carnival pun).

Here’s a photo of the BelVue Lounge, where the tour started.

IMG_9188_zpssrmqbkof.jpg

Judy listening; David ‘splainin’ something. I think he was mentioning that the items in here were things that you might find in a seashore resort parlor, like games and books and such.

IMG_9189_zpsi9lzg2fd.jpg

Bel Vue Lounge furniture.

IMG_9190_zpsrwa8j8f0.jpg

Not sure why I took a picture of this old sewing machine in the lounge, but no use wasting a perfectly good picture.

IMG_9191_zpsrf2t2hzk.jpg

The tour was called “The Ballyhoo Tour”. “Ballyhoo” was a noise intended to generate attention and excitement, like what a carnival barker would do. It's a term from the late 1800's when people went to shows and other attractions when they were at the shore. We learned from David that boardwalks themselves (the physical walkway of boards) came about from hotels trying to keep sand from being tracked in. Some also had grass in front, for the same purpose. Many hotels started out as mom and pop boarding houses and they added on as business success permitted. The architecture of the Boardwalk Resort tries to mimic that, with different sections intended to look like they were added at different times. The architect, Mr. Stern, designed this hotel as well as the Yacht and Beach Clubs.

These paintings, intending to look like Disney’s Boardwalk, hang outside of the Bel Vue Lounge.

IMG_9193_zpsgpi5twq5.jpg

IMG_9194_zpsk0j4irwe.jpg

I guess I didn’t take a picture of them, but also outside of the BelVue Lounge was a display of postcards, dating back to around 1910-1920. They were provided by one of the construction workers on the Boardwalk, who thought (rightly) that they would be useful for decoration. I’m not sure if he donated them, sold them, or traded them for a Mickey Bar, fastpasses, and a DVC tour, but they’re fun to peruse. I noticed that the ones you could read almost all mentioned “bathing”, as in spa-bathing. It seemed to be the “in-thing”. Regarding postcards, David said that people didn’t mind that the mailman or anyone else read their card. In fact, they wanted everyone to read their card – because it advertised their wealth. And along those lines, he said that women would walk the boardwalk in furs, showing off how wealthy they were. I’m so glad that we’ve evolved beyond that and are not into shameful displays of material wealth anymore. Silly prior generations.

We learned that this chandelier in the lobby entrance was called a “hippocampus electrolier”. The term coined was coined by Thomas Edison, but for some odd reason, it didn't stick. I don’t know why – it just rolls off the tongue.

IMG_9195_zpsmkwphcmd.jpg

Under the hippocampus electrolier is a round settee with a merry-go-round. The carousel was the actual sales model of the premier carver of carousel horses at the time.

IMG_9196_zpsxgvysfne.jpg

David pointed out some Disney castle paintings over the front desk. The interesting thing about them is that the frames are actually rounding boards from roof borders of a carousel.

IMG_9197_zps9jpgq9co.jpg

Lauren joined us at this point in the tour. David was telling us that the roller coaster model was of a looping coaster that was used for about 7 years. It was a circle rather than an oval so it had g-forces similar to a fighter plane. There were lots of injuries. Plus, it was only able to load 2 people at a time, so it wasn't profitable.

IMG_9198_zpslspubapc.jpg

There were a few interesting items to talk about at the fireplace. Paul and Todd, the hauntingly-freaky chairs on each side of the fireplace, were “nanny chairs” which were for nannies to sit on while the kids were on the carousel. (I guess there was no such thing as “rider-swap” back then.)

IMG_9200_zpsypfogtq2.jpg

The elephant over the fireplace is Lucy. Wikipedia page on Lucy_the_Elephant Lucy, an elephant-shaped building, was (and still is!) a roadside attraction near Atlantic City, New Jersey. David told us that the building was saved from demolition recently and that a DVC member was involved in the effort.

He also pointed out a Hidden Mickey in this model of Lucy. Click here if you want to know where it is. ---->
It’s in the lattice-work, at the very top. It’s easiest to see if you look at the back one, where it’s against the plain white wall.

IMG_9201_zps1lr1ytfc.jpg

On our way past the little merchandise shop in the Boardwalk, “Dundy’s Sundries”, David told us that it was named after Elmer “Skip” Dundy. He and his business partner, Frederic Thompson built Coney Island’s Luna Park in 1903. Thompson is listed as the proprietor on a door of one of the shops out on the boardwalk. I can’t remember if it was the Screen Door General Store or Thimbles and Threads.

We came to the elevators and David pointed the carpet out to us. I believe he said it was going to be replaced, so it may not be there anymore. He asked us if we saw the Hidden Mickeys...of course we did, we noticed them before we’d even taken the tour. He said, “Yeah, everybody sees those.” “But do you see Tinkerbell?” (Spoiler reveal below.) Huh?! We had not! And once he pointed her out, we could not un-see her. We couldn’t wait to show this to Marlene and James when we walked by here later in the day.

IMG_9202_zpsocvwq386.jpg

She’s in the lower-left corner of the picture, in purple against the yellow background. There’s also a trail of purple pixie dust coming from her wand. So obvious, yet we had not noticed her!

Out at the pool (didn’t take any pictures this time since I have some in other chapters), David pointed out that it’s called the “Luna Park Pool”, named after the amusement park at Coney Island. The slide is like a roller coaster, so it’s called “The Keister Coaster”. The pool bar, “Leaping Horse Libations” is a reference to the famous entertainment act at Coney Island, where a woman would ride a horse doing a high-dive into a pool of water. He told us that they landed wrong one time and the woman blew out her retinas and went blind. She kept doing the act for several more years though. Sometimes even intentionally. (Just kidding!)

In the center of the resort, between the hotel and the boardwalk itself, is a grassy area called the Village Green. As mentioned before, this is true to the boardwalk hotels of the era, and the goal was to keep sand from being tracked into the hotel.

IMG_9204_zpswqugpqwz.jpg

From there, we walked out to the Boardwalk. David told us that the boards on the boardwalk are African ekki. It’s very durable and weather-resistant, but it’s so dense that it required diamond-tipped saws to cut.

I took a picture of a pair of the benches, trying to be artsy, I guess.

IMG_9205_zpsoqbvz4v8.jpg

We went into the Seashore Sweets candy shop. As Disney fans yourselves, of course you know that all Disney projects start with a backstory. The backstory of Seashore Sweets is that the two female owners were beauty pageant girls who came to the shore for a pageant. They didn’t win, but stayed to open a candy store.

Their likeness graces the sign over the store entrance. They look like winners to me!

IMG_9251_zps4xmkhchl.jpg

David talked about how beauty pageants started at the seashore resort towns, like Atlantic City. There were pictures in the store of past Miss America winners.

IMG_9206_zpszgz3n20l.jpg

Looking at this next picture, we got onto the subject of Flappers of the ‘20’s. He said that the term “Flapper” referred to their short hair. I don’t think I ever really thought about what it could have referred to, but hey, good to know.

IMG_9207_zpspbatbyf8.jpg

Then came perhaps the best part of the tour, when David asked, “Would you like some free ice cream?”

We said “Yes!”

IMG_9208_zpsugopfwho.jpg

We peeked into the restaurant next door. It was Trattoria al Forno by this time, having recently changed over from Kouzzina. There are open doorways at Seashore Sweets between Flying Fish on the right and Trattoria al Forno on the left. And actually, they share a set of bathrooms, which are located in Seashore Sweets.

IMG_9209_zpsxirnroie.jpg

We went back out onto the Boardwalk, where David talked to us a little bit more before wrapping up the tour.

IMG_9210_zpsjefgy7ep.jpg

Doesn’t Lauren look angelic in this next photo? She looks like she has a halo around her head, like in some Renaissance painting. I could nominate her for sainthood, but we’d have to come up with a miracle. If only her bedroom had ever been clean when she was growing up...that would have been a good one to use! But alas.

IMG_9211_zpsdslpxxlr.jpg

We bid David goodbye and thanked him for the very informative tour. We thought he’d done a great job and we really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it for a nice diversion on a non-park day. I don’t think I’d do it if I weren’t staying at the resort, but if you’re staying there, it points out so many things that you would overlook, and helps bring to life the overall theming of the resort.

On the way back to our suite I took a picture of the resort’s exercise room, Muscles and Bustles.

IMG_9213_zpsq4k3c4il.jpg

I took the picture just to document it for my trip report readers. I had no intention of going in there -- I get enough of a workout in the parks!

Up next: What's Up Beaches & Cream

Last edited:
I know about the tour at Wilderness Lodge but had never heard about the one at the Boardwalk. It sounds really interesting.

I think they do it one or two days a week and it conveniently worked out that one of the offerings was on our day off. (Of course, I made the vacation plan and since it was something I was interested in doing, I may have had a little influence on how “conveniently” it worked out.)

How very convenient.

At the lounge, we met our tour guide, David.

Hi David.

Bel Vue Lounge furniture.

Very homey.

The tour was called “The Ballyhoo Tour”. “Ballyhoo” was a noise intended to generate attention and excitement, like what a carnival barker would do. It's a term from the late 1800's when people went to shows and other attractions when they were at the shore.

I kept hearing Ballywood in my head instead of Ballyhoo.

We learned from David that boardwalks themselves (the physical walkway of boards) came about from hotels trying to keep sand from being tracked in. Some also had grass in front, for the same purpose.

I did not know that, but it does make sense.

We learned that this chandelier in the lobby entrance was called a “hippocampus electrolier”. The term coined was coined by Thomas Edison, but for some odd reason, it didn't stick. I don’t know why – it just rolls off the tongue.

I have seen and admired this but didn't know it had such a weird name.

he carousel was the actual sales model of the premier carver of carousel horses at the time.

I've admired this too but didn't know it's history.

David pointed out some Disney castle paintings over the front desk. The interesting thing about them is that the frames are actually rounding boards from roof borders of a carouse

There were a few interesting items to talk about at the fireplace. Paul and Todd, the hauntingly-freaky chairs on each side of the fireplace, were “nanny chairs” which were for nannies to sit on while the kids were on the carousel.

Don't these chairs move around? Or maybe they don't anymore?

The elephant over the fireplace is Lucy. Wikipedia page on Lucy_the_Elephant Lucy, an elephant-shaped building, was (and still is!) a roadside attraction near Atlantic City, New Jersey.

I enjoyed learning about Lucy.

But do you see Tinkerbell?”

I did after you mentioned it.

he pool bar, “Leaping Horse Libations” is a reference to the famous entertainment act at Coney Island, where a woman would ride a horse doing a high-dive into a pool of water. He told us that they landed wrong one time and the woman blew out her retinas and went blind. She kept doing the act for several more years though. Sometimes even intentionally. (Just kidding!)

I remember watching a movie about this. "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken".

In the center of the resort, between the hotel and the boardwalk itself, is a grassy area called the Village Green. As mentioned before, this is true to the boardwalk hotels of the era, and the goal was to keep sand from being tracked into the hotel.

Such a pretty area.

From there, we walked out to the Boardwalk. David told us that the boards on the boardwalk are African ekki. It’s very durable and weather-resistant, but it’s so dense that it required diamond-tipped saws to cut.

Another new fact. I will look differently at the boards the next time we go there.

We went into the Seashore Sweets candy shop. As Disney fans yourselves, of course you know that all Disney projects start with a backstory. The backstory of Seashore Sweets is that the two female owners were beauty pageant girls who came to the shore for a pageant. They didn’t win, but stayed to open a candy store.

David talked about how beauty pageants started at the seashore resort towns, like Atlantic City. There were pictures in the store of past Miss America winners.

More interesting information. Now I have to go in here and look for the pictures.

We peeked into the restaurant next door. It was Trattoria al Forno by this time, having recently changed over from Kouzzina. There are open doorways at Seashore Sweets between Flying Fish on the right and Trattoria al Forno on the left. And actually, they share a set of bathrooms, which are located in Seashore Sweets.

This I did know since we ate at the new Princess and Prince breakfast last May. I even checked out the bathrooms. But I thought it was next to the new Magic Bar?

I really enjoyed this update. This makes me want to stay there someday even more.

Fun tour! I've been following your TR and can't remember if I responded or not yet, so wanted to say hello and that I'm enjoying your trip! I live in NYC and it was fun to read about your visit here. (And your daughter has good taste in choosing to visit the Botanical Garden!) Your family seems great!

Well, maybe I should say, our non-park day, because every day is a day off when on vacation, right?

Of course!

I had read in someone else’s trip report about a tour they do of the Boardwalk resort, which kind of explains the theming and architecture in general, and points out some things you may have missed.

I have not gotten to do a resort tour, but would love to someday- at any of them. I love to learn about the backstories that go into it all.

I think they do it one or two days a week and it conveniently worked out that one of the offerings was on our day off.

Of course it did! ;)

The tour was at 10am, and since we’d had what you would call a “relaxing” start to the day

Oh! Is that what they call it nowadays? Huh!

What luck! A private tour!

Score!!!

(not intended as a Boardwalk/Carnival pun).

But a good one nonetheless.

Here’s a photo of the BelVue Lounge, where the tour started.

Perhaps my favorite lounge in all of Disney now.

Maybe for the HM on it??

Sideways to the left of Singer?

I’m so glad that we’ve evolved beyond that and are not into shameful displays of material wealth anymore. Silly prior generations.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me.

Under the hippocampus electrolier is a round settee with a merry-go-round. The carousel was the actual sales model of the premier carver of carousel horses at the time.

Okay, that's a cool factoid!

There were lots of injuries.

EEK; no doubt!

There were a few interesting items to talk about at the fireplace. Paul and Todd, the hauntingly-freaky chairs on each side of the fireplace, were “nanny chairs” which were for nannies to sit on while the kids were on the carousel. (I guess there was no such thing as “rider-swap” back then.)

I always wondered about those. By why so creepy? Men's faces wearing dresses. Just...? I don't get it.

“But do you see Tinkerbell?” (Spoiler reveal below.) Huh?! We had not!

No! But I do now!! How cool is that?!

He told us that they landed wrong one time and the woman blew out her retinas and went blind. She kept doing the act for several more years though. Sometimes even intentionally. (Just kidding!)

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

“Would you like some free ice cream?”

Is this a serious question?

Sounds like a nice tour! I bet most people don't even know the tour exists!

You know, I try to keep track of who’s commented here and I don’t think I gave you a proper :welcome: when you first posted, so :welcome:!

It was a nice tour, and it probably wouldn’t have been on my radar either if I hadn’t read about it in someone else’s trip report. (Maybe one of MEK’s?) I’m pretty sure it was listed in the weekly Activities sheet that you get when you check-in, but is probably easily overlooked.

I know about the tour at Wilderness Lodge but had never heard about the one at the Boardwalk. It sounds really interesting.

Yes, I’m sure they all are – there is so much backstory at every resort, that you could easily do one at any of them.

How very convenient.

I’m hearing Dana Carvey’s church lady character from Saturday Night Live, when I read that.

Hi David.

I’m sure he says “hi” back.

Very homey.

Like everything else, I’m sure the eclectic mix of styles and fabrics was very intentional.

I kept hearing Ballywood in my head instead of Ballyhoo.

Hmm, yeah, that’s slightly different.

I did not know that, but it does make sense.

I guess I figured it was to make it easier for people walking, but no.

I have seen and admired this but didn't know it had such a weird name.

What do you mean? It’s a beautiful name! ;)

I've admired this too but didn't know it's history.

The Boardwalk resort is a perfect place for many of these historic pieces.

Don't these chairs move around? Or maybe they don't anymore?

I don’t know, I sure wasn’t going to touch them! They would haunt me forever.

I enjoyed learning about Lucy.

Great!

I did after you mentioned it.

It’s probably even easier to notice her in my photograph than when you’re walking over the carpet, but we sure didn’t see her until he pointed her out.

I remember watching a movie about this. "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken".

Ahhh, I think I’ve heard the title, but didn’t know what it was about.

Such a pretty area.

Yes it is.

Another new fact. I will look differently at the boards the next time we go there.

He probably told us how long they’ll last but I don’t remember. Suffice it to say, that it’s a fairly long time, which is good – nobody wants the shops closed down while renovate the boardwalk.

More interesting information. Now I have to go in here and look for the pictures.

Always something to see around DisneyWorld!

This I did know since we ate at the new Princess and Prince breakfast last May. I even checked out the bathrooms. But I thought it was next to the new Magic Bar?

Oh yeah, maybe...this report is getting so old, we were there before that Magic bar existed!

I really enjoyed this update. This makes me want to stay there someday even more.

Well all right! Thanks.

Fun tour! I've been following your TR and can't remember if I responded or not yet, so wanted to say hello and that I'm enjoying your trip!

Hi DLHNYC! :welcome: Thank you for following along. I’m glad you’re enjoying it with us!

I live in NYC and it was fun to read about your visit here. (And your daughter has good taste in choosing to visit the Botanical Garden!) Your family seems great!

Great! This trip report has dragged on so long that I have another high school graduation celebratory trip coming up in just a couple of months (James). We’re still working on picking out some activities. I know he won’t want to do the Botanical Garden...we have an even bigger garden near us (Longwood Gardens) that we’re members of, and we can never get him to go with us.

Thanks for the kind words.

Of course!

Yes, just some are more exhausting than others.

I have not gotten to do a resort tour, but would love to someday- at any of them. I love to learn about the backstories that go into it all.

I know that you would really appreciate them. You just need to schedule a month-long DisneyWorld vacation to fit all of this stuff in. (At a minimum.)

Of course it did! ;)

From one planner to another. ;)

Oh! Is that what they call it nowadays? Huh!

I don’t know about ‘they’, but it’s what I’m calling it!

Boom baby, that’s more like it! I just needed him to look a little more bodyguard-ish so that people would recognize my VIP-status and keep the proper distance. Know whut I mean?

But a good one nonetheless.

Aw thanks.

Perhaps my favorite lounge in all of Disney now.

Well all right!

Maybe for the HM on it??

Sideways to the left of Singer?

Hmm, I’m not seeing that, but who knows?!

Your sarcasm is not lost on me.

Good. With all of your experiences and travels, it’s probably even more noticeable to you.

Okay, that's a cool factoid!

Yeah! Got one!

EEK; no doubt!

But I’m sure it was worth it. :rolleyes:

I always wondered about those. By why so creepy? Men's faces wearing dresses. Just...? I don't get it.

It must be a nanny thing.

No! But I do now!! How cool is that?!

Way cool. After he told me that, I was sorry to hear that they would be replacing it.

Thank you for humoring my humor.

Is this a serious question?

Not for anybody I know!

Today was Saturday, June 27th

My anniversary!

I had read in someone else’s trip report about a tour they do of the Boardwalk resort, which kind of explains the theming and architecture in general, and points out some things you may have missed. I think they do it one or two days a week and it conveniently worked out that one of the offerings was on our day off. (Of course, I made the vacation plan and since it was something I was interested in doing, I may have had a little influence on how “conveniently” it worked out.) So anyway, that is what I had planned for the morning.

The advantages of being the family vacation planner. You get to force everybody else to do what you want to do.

What luck! A private tour! I realize that there are maybe one or two other entertainment options which can be found in the Orlando area

Gatorland, and...:confused3

We learned from David that boardwalks themselves (the physical walkway of boards) came about from hotels trying to keep sand from being tracked in. Some also had grass in front, for the same purpose. Many hotels started out as mom and pop boarding houses and they added on as business success permitted. The architecture of the Boardwalk Resort tries to mimic that, with different sections intended to look like they were added at different times. The architect, Mr. Stern, designed this hotel as well as the Yacht and Beach Clubs.

Cool. I love the background like this.

Regarding postcards, David said that people didn’t mind that the mailman or anyone else read their card. In fact, they wanted everyone to read their card – because it advertised their wealth. And along those lines, he said that women would walk the boardwalk in furs, showing off how wealthy they were. I’m so glad that we’ve evolved beyond that and are not into shameful displays of material wealth anymore. Silly prior generations.

Darn right. I'm very proud of our humility.

There were a few interesting items to talk about at the fireplace. Paul and Todd, the hauntingly-freaky chairs on each side of the fireplace, were “nanny chairs” which were for nannies to sit on while the kids were on the carousel.

I still say they were torture devices, there to scare the kids straight.

He also pointed out a Hidden Mickey in this model of Lucy.

Spotted it!

He said, “Yeah, everybody sees those.” “But do you see Tinkerbell?”

I had to work, but found her. Wouldn't have known to look if you hadn't said anything.

The pool bar, “Leaping Horse Libations” is a reference to the famous entertainment act at Coney Island, where a woman would ride a horse doing a high-dive into a pool of water. He told us that they landed wrong one time and the woman blew out her retinas and went blind. She kept doing the act for several more years though. Sometimes even intentionally. (Just kidding!)

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Yikes. I can't imagine what the boardwalk cost to build.

Looking at this next picture, we got onto the subject of Flappers of the ‘20’s. He said that the term “Flapper” referred to their short hair. I don’t think I ever really thought about what it could have referred to, but hey, good to know.

You know, I had wondered about that.

Then came perhaps the best part of the tour, when David asked, “Would you like some free ice cream?”

Has anyone ever said no to that?

Doesn’t Lauren look angelic in this next photo? She looks like she has a halo around her head, like in some Renaissance painting. I could nominate her for sainthood, but we’d have to come up with a miracle. If only her bedroom had ever been clean when she was growing up...that would have been a good one to use! But alas.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

We bid David goodbye and thanked him for the very informative tour. We thought he’d done a great job and we really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it for a nice diversion on a non-park day. I don’t think I’d do it if I weren’t staying at the resort, but if you’re staying there, it points out so many things that you would overlook, and helps bring to life the overall theming of the resort.

I can see where that would definitely enhance your stay! Cool.

You know, I try to keep track of who’s commented here and I don’t think I gave you a proper :welcome: when you first posted, so :welcome:!
Thanks! I can't even remember if you did or not! So, I will take it. ;)

It was a nice tour, and it probably wouldn’t have been on my radar either if I hadn’t read about it in someone else’s trip report.
That is what is so great about these TR's!

My anniversary!

Exactly, and we couldn't wait to celebrate it with a tour of the Boardwalk resort!

The advantages of being the family vacation planner. You get to force everybody else to do what you want to do.

The best part is when they don't know that you're forcing them. ::yes::

Gatorland, and...:confused3

Um, there's an orange grove over near Vero, Peterson's, they give free samples of o.j. That's entertainment.

Cool. I love the background like this.

Me too!

Darn right. I'm very proud of our humility.

We're the best at humility!

I still say they were torture devices, there to scare the kids straight.

They might have been onto something.

Spotted it!

You're good.

I had to work, but found her. Wouldn't have known to look if you hadn't said anything.

That's the thing with that one, you don't notice her if you're not looking for her.

Like I said to Leisa, thanks for humoring my humor.

Yikes. I can't imagine what the boardwalk cost to build.

I wonder if they considered trex?

You know, I had wondered about that.

Well now you know.

Has anyone ever said no to that?

Not when I'm buying, I know that!

I can see where that would definitely enhance your stay! Cool.

It was a fun and informative morning, glad we did it.

What’s Up, Beaches and Cream

The Ballyhoo was behind us, but it was not yet time for lounging around at this point in our day off -- we had a lunchtime adr to get to: Beaches & Cream, on the other side of Crescent Lake at the Beach Club. Fortunately, it wasn’t too hard to get people moving when the destination was ice cream. Yes, I know that some of us had just had free ice cream on our Ballyhoo Tour of the Boardwalk, (and nothing tastes better than “free”), but this was more ice cream, with toppings!

We walked around the left side of the lake, I guess that would be the west side. I took a few pictures of the water as we walked.

IMG_9215_zpszmhjqd4y.jpg

IMG_9217_zpsw5phhnzu.jpg

We passed Stormalong Bay and seeing it reinforced the fact that I’d love to stay here sometime.

IMG_9218_zps0bpctgfn.jpg

IMG_9219_zps4zprcmfy.jpg

IMG_9220_zpsi0ylf4lt.jpg

Similar to when we visited the Boardwalk for the first time and Marlene announced that she’d like to stay at the Boardwalk for her graduation trip (the trip we were now on), upon seeing Stormalong Bay, James announced that he’d like to stay at the Beach Club for his.

(Cut to present-day...at this point in the planning for his graduation trip, it doesn’t look like that will be what we do. His graduation trip should be this coming summer (yes, he will be graduating from high school!)...however, he wants to wait until Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens, so the trip probably won’t occur until December 2019. And December doesn’t seem like the best month to take advantage of Stormalong Bay, so the Beach Club may have to wait until another time for a Glennbo-family stay.)

The Yacht Club is very impressive.

IMG_9221_zpsjzvwnp1g.jpg

IMG_9223_zpspdrypa46.jpg

IMG_9224_zpsxgvzxsei.jpg

We arrived at Beaches and Cream and while we waited to be seated I took a picture of the inside to document it for you. Along with that, I got my daily dose of stinkeye, courtesy of a young girl eating ice cream with Darth Mickey.

IMG_9225_zps4ds4tcrv.jpg

They seated us at a booth, at the back-left corner of the room. Most of us weren’t that hungry for lunch, so we were just going to go for dessert items. (Aren’t vacations great?! When else can you have dessert as your entrée?) I wrote down that we got grilled banana bread with peanut butter, but I don’t have a picture of it...and worse than that, I don’t even remember it! James (and maybe I) ordered a coffee milkshake. Marlene wanted to try the fudge mudslide. Judy, the one of us who was hungry for legitimate lunchtime food, ordered a chicken sandwich. When she ordered, she told our server about her food allergies and they got her separate fries which were from Hurricane Hannah's where they have a dedicated allergy fryer. They fry the allergies right out of ‘em over there! Her fries actually arrived first.

IMG_9226_zpsejzelf0a.jpg

Here’s a shot of the inside from our table.

IMG_9227_zpsjrgnrc9x.jpg

My tablemates. Apparently, Judy just had to say something while I was taking this picture.

IMG_9228_zpsjjui8gxd.jpg

Oh yeah, I almost forgot (not really) – Lauren got a No Way Jose, to share!

IMG_9230_zpslfosv3td.jpg

She cannot wait.

IMG_9229_zps0xdklnoi.jpg

The Brownie Sundae up close.

IMG_9231_zpsbxpnqkit.jpg

James’ milkshake up close.

IMG_9233_zpsqjizgexz.jpg

James with his milkshake.

IMG_9234_zpsvvkwpfy5.jpg

The kids, about to dig in.

IMG_9236_zpsbd9nkhh8.jpg

Judy’s chicken sandwich.

IMG_9237_zpslmob1xzy.jpg

While we were dining, someone else in the restaurant had a Kitchen Sink delivered. I and a couple of other patrons went over and asked if we could take a picture of it. They were happy to oblige while they contemplated where they would begin to tackle it.

IMG_9238_zpstvygtyhn.jpg

The No Way Jose is no more.

IMG_9239_zpsaflviiyl.jpg

Another Stormalong Bay shot. We really thought it was cute that a duck was swimming in the pool.

IMG_9245_zpsjfpblw7v.jpg

We left heading east, to complete the circle around Crescent Lake.

The Beach Club.

IMG_9246_zpstswpllao.jpg

The afternoon storm clouds were rolling in, right on schedule.

IMG_9247_zpsx3vqze99.jpg

You get a nice view of the Yacht Club after you cross over the walkway and head towards the Boardwalk.

IMG_9249_zpsct9soa8r.jpg

And a nice view of Beach Club as well.

IMG_9250_zpshgs3lpuc.jpg

Beaches & Cream was another new restaurant for us and we really enjoyed it. Well of course we did, because, ice cream! Like the Ballyhoo Tour, I don’t think I’d go too far out of my way to get here, but for a non-park day in the Epcot resorts area, it fit into the plan well and was a fun treat. I remember reading on the Disboards before our trip how people were disappointed that this place has gotten so popular that you have to have an adr to get in here. But you might as well face it -- crowds are increasing at DisneyWorld, knowledge is king, and favor comes to those who plan. (Sometimes in the form of an ice cream sundae.)

Up next: Afternoon Pool Time

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm tempted to book a trip just to take you up on that.

I want photo evidence.

I took a few pictures of the water as we walked.

Beautiful!

so the trip probably won’t occur until December 2019.

FYI we're thinking about the same time for the same reason. Due to school we're looking at right before New Years and into that first week.

I took a picture of the inside to document it for you

So cute! I've never been.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot (not really) – Lauren got a No Way Jose, to share!

This is what I want to try someday.

I and a couple of other patrons went over and asked if we could take a picture of it

It looks good too!

(and nothing tastes better than “free”)

Free with chocolate?

James announced that he’d like to stay at the Beach Club for his.

Nice!

(Cut to present-day...at this point in the planning for his graduation trip, it doesn’t look like that will be what we do.

Oh.

Poop.

The Yacht Club is very impressive.

I think you have a typo up there... maybe you meant "expensive".

They fry the allergies right out of ‘em over there!

:laughing:

"Glennbo, stop taking pictures and tell them to stop eating my fries!!!"

She cannot wait.

IMG_9229_zps0xdklnoi.jpg
She's going to eat it with a straw?!?

:confused3

But you might as well face it -- crowds are increasing at DisneyWorld, knowledge is king, and favor comes to those who plan. (Sometimes in the form of an ice cream sundae.)

Spoken well, My Young Padawan. :thumbsup2

Fortunately, it wasn’t too hard to get people moving when the destination was ice cream. Yes, I know that some of us had just had free ice cream on our Ballyhoo Tour of the Boardwalk, (and nothing tastes better than “free”), but this was more ice cream, with toppings!

Can you ever have too much ice cream?

The answer is yes, you can. Don't ask me how I know.

We passed Stormalong Bay and seeing it reinforced the fact that I’d love to stay here sometime.

Makes sense to me.

(yes, he will be graduating from high school!)

That...does not seem possible.

however, he wants to wait until Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens, so the trip probably won’t occur until December 2019

Good luck with that! We decided to go this summer and bypass the Star Wars crowds for...maybe a few years.

Along with that, I got my daily dose of stinkeye, courtesy of a young girl eating ice cream with Darth Mickey.

Well, she probably wants to protect her ice cream.

They fry the allergies right out of ‘em over there!

I gotta try that sometime!

My tablemates. Apparently, Judy just had to say something while I was taking this picture.

Glenn, the food is getting cold. Take the daggone photo already!

The afternoon storm clouds were rolling in, right on schedule.

Must have been 4:00 p.m.

But you might as well face it -- crowds are increasing at DisneyWorld, knowledge is king, and favor comes to those who plan.

Truth. Better to plan than to miss out altogether.

Beautiful!

Thanks!

FYI we're thinking about the same time for the same reason. Due to school we're looking at right before New Years and into that first week.

I have the exact same timeframe in my master plan. That might be a bad sign -- if you and I are both thinking it...probably lots of people are. :crowded:

So cute! I've never been.

Just another one of those things to keep you coming back!

This is what I want to try someday.

It's recommended.

It looks good too!

It does! You need a crowd to eat it, which I think you could muster!

Free with chocolate?

Now you went and topped it. That would be better.

Yes, quite. Would work into my plan of trying that resort someday.

Oh.

Poop.

That's okay, we've got a plan. And I was with him on waiting for Galaxy's Edge to arrive. I'd hate to go and then a few months later see all of these new, really cool things opening. Some people go pretty frequently so no big deal...but we're on a different schedule (and budget!).

I think you have a typo up there... maybe you meant "expensive".

Yes, maybe I did!

"Glennbo, stop taking pictures and tell them to stop eating my fries!!!"

I think she was telling me how much she appreciates my vacation planning.

She's going to eat it with a straw?!?

:confused3

What can I say...she likes a challenge.

Spoken well, My Young Padawan. :thumbsup2

All of us on the Disboards know it. I'm trying to coach a friend who booked a last-minute trip without time to plan park days, fastpasses, restaurants. It's hard to know how much to interject.

Can you ever have too much ice cream?

The answer is yes, you can. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm picturing one of those animated scenes from Monty Python's Flying Circus where a foot comes down from heaven and smashes a guy. In this case, it's a huge ice cream sundae.

Makes sense to me.

Hard to argue with it, I know.

That...does not seem possible.

You wait. Don't blink.

Good luck with that! We decided to go this summer and bypass the Star Wars crowds for...maybe a few years.

Oh great! I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and can catch up on Galaxy's Edge next time.

Well, she probably wants to protect her ice cream.

I imagine that Darth is top-notch bodyguard. :darth:

I gotta try that sometime!

Fry a twinkie while you're at it.

Glenn, the food is getting cold. Take the daggone photo already!

Well of course it is -- it's ice cream.

Must have been 4:00 p.m.

It's funny you say that...it was earlier than that, probably more like 1 o'clock. I almost wrote that they were coming in early, but it didn't flow very well so went with the short-and-sweet "right on schedule". I should have known that wouldn't fly with my astute readers.

Truth. Better to plan than to miss out altogether.

If you fail to plan...you make an a$$ out of you and me. Or something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter