Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

that is really the problem! There are so many good choices! And if there a festival, you almost don't even need a sit down meal!

Yes, I agree. I haven't made it to Food & Wine yet, but plans are in the works for 2020.

Been a bit scarce on the DIS these days with a heavy workload and some other stuff going on, but I am still reading and enjoying your great photos and TR. :)

No problemo! Thanks for hanging in there with me on this very d r a w n -o u t report.

I enjoyed VN, but not enough to go back to before trying other places. And yes, I think I'd have been disappointed in the side room too.

Yeah, that was my feeling exactly. It was fine, but with everything else...I probably won't get back there.

You made serious tracks that day!! I'm impressed! And then capping it off with a late night swim- perfect!

Serious tracks! Especially when trying to catch both fireworks shows. Just about killed me!

Glad you caught Illuminations one last time. Not my favorite, but I know you guys enjoyed it. :)

Yeah, I've seen it a number of times. Will be interested to see the replacement. Not sure if the new one will be up and running for our planned trip in late-2019.

Glad to see this is still going. You definitely get the perseverance award for a three year old trip that we are all still interested in hearing about.

Thanks Mary Kay! I can't believe anyone is still interested, but I want to finish it, for sure. Hopefully no one is looking for "news" here. :laughing:

We also had a so so meal at Via Napoli a few years ago and haven’t been back. We love Tangerine Cafe and Les Halles and tend to eat in one of those two places.

I've never tried Tangierine Cafe, but I think we've gotten an item or two from Les Halles Boulangerie. But anway, yes, a lot of options around there.

Loved the Frozen fireworks pics. Somehow we never saw those, but I think I have seen the Star Wars fireworks at least 8 times. Also good to see some more Boardwalk pics as we are headed back there next month after a 13 month absence.

Awesome! From your ticker it looks like you will be at the Boardwalk very soon! I'm jealous.

Can’t wait to read about HHI

I've got some more work to do there, but will get it done!

yeah, i am dogsitting so I have a little extra time to "hangout" usually so busy with no WiFi in any staff housing where I work....long story, but good to see some of the oldtimers still around. And by oldtimers....well you know what I mean.

drive by hello. hope all is well!!!!
:car: <doppler-effect car sound> Jordan, great to see you my friend! Sounds like you're alive and well. We're good! I'll bet your cousin's kids are getting big...are you folks still vacationing together?

Great to see you post Jordan!

You never know when he'll pop in...that's why I've kept this trip report going for 3+ years. :rolleyes1

yeah, i am dogsitting so I have a little extra time to "hangout" usually so busy with no WiFi in any staff housing where I work....long story, but good to see some of the oldtimers still around. And by oldtimers....well you know what I mean.

I'll have a couple extra bichons coming over tonight to stay for a few days. It's not exactly convenient, but it's for the people who always watch our dog, so we couldn't say no. They will demand my attention so I'm sure that I will not be on the DIS tonight!

Yes, we oldtimers know who we are. ;)

Yes still vacationing with Wendy and family. We've gone to WDW in 2013 and 2017. I'm taking Wendy on a 4 day WDW trip and then a 4 day Disney Cruise for her 50th in February. Contemplating a PTR........but just so busy these days.....

YOUR kids are adultish...Wendy's kids are now 16, 13 and 10. The oldest is driving.....yikes!

No problemo! Thanks for hanging in there with me on this very d r a w n -o u t report.

As long as you stick it out with me. And you KNOW how ridiculously long and d r a w n o u t mine can be too. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was my feeling exactly. It was fine, but with everything else...I probably won't get back there.

I'll go back again someday, I'm sure, but not for a while.

Serious tracks! Especially when trying to catch both fireworks shows. Just about killed me!

I'm not even sure I could do it. Not without some training first.

Yeah, I've seen it a number of times. Will be interested to see the replacement. Not sure if the new one will be up and running for our planned trip in late-2019.

As long as the replacement is as good or better- oddly, we're having this same discussion about Disney changes on my thread too.

It's okay, @jordanyosh we ARE old. :rolleyes2

You never know when he'll pop in...that's why I've kept this trip report going for 3+ years. :rolleyes1
Your story and you're sticking to it?

Yes still vacationing with Wendy and family. We've gone to WDW in 2013 and 2017. I'm taking Wendy on a 4 day WDW trip and then a 4 day Disney Cruise for her 50th in February. Contemplating a PTR........but just so busy these days.....

YOUR kids are adultish...Wendy's kids are now 16, 13 and 10. The oldest is driving.....yikes!
Man I hope we weren't there on one of our trips when you were and we didn't know it. Keep us posted whenever you go again. ....you never know! :-)

I'm taking Wendy on a 4 day WDW trip and then a 4 day Disney Cruise for her 50th in February. Contemplating a PTR........but just so busy these days.....

I guess it's getting a little late for a PTR, but let me know if you write a TR.

As long as you stick it out with me. And you KNOW how ridiculously long and d r a w n o u t mine can be too. :rolleyes:

I'm behind on yours, but I'll get caught up one of these days. I'm about to post a new chapter here, so getting closer to finishing this puppy!

Your story and you're sticking to it?

Yep!

On to Hilton Head

We’d reached our day to check out of the Boardwalk, and travel to Hilton Head. Monday, June 29, 2015. (Yes, I know that that was over 3 years ago; quit reminding me! I will get this trip report done!) We were up, packed, mugs refilled and headed out a little after 9:30. As I walked through the lobby I said goodbye to Andy at the front desk. He said, “It seems like only yesterday that you were checking in -- see you next time! You know where to find me!” We got on the road and hit a Starbucks after we got onto I-95. There was a diner in Bluffton, SC that I wanted to try just based on the name alone: the “Squat n Gobble”, but it would have been 3 o'clock by the time we got there, which was way too late for lunch. I was so tempted by that name but instead we stopped for lunch at a Chick Fil-A on the same exit as the hotel we stayed at on the way down, a week prior. It was crazy-busy. Eventually we neared Hilton Head Island and the highway became very congested with beach traffic, which was not a welcomed sight after the long drive. “So close, but yet so far”, ya know? Pressing on, we got to the resort a little after 3:30. So now we know that it’s a 6 hour drive from DisneyWorld to Hilton Head, with a couple of stops and traffic.

We checked-in and unpacked the van. Our suite was on the 2nd floor in building 12, room 1226.

IMG_9563_zpstlamst8o.jpg

The building was to the left of Live Oak Lodge (the building where you check-in), just before the boardwalk that leads to the rest of the resort.

Stairway where our room was located

IMG_9561_zpsxggwdfnz.jpg

Looking toward Live Oak Lodge

IMG_9562_zps80tkapfc.jpg

This 1-bedroom suite seemed a little bigger than the one that Judy and I stayed in the year before, which was on the 3rd floor of the Live Oak Lodge. Our view of the marsh was blocked by trees but we were a little closer to the pool and Mercantile than the suite we stayed in before.

View of the boardwalk

DSCF0269_zps3lswibo1.jpg

The Marsh

DSCF0270_zpsfgpzovfd.jpg

One good thing was that we had a sleeper chair for James, so we didn’t need a cot or air mattress. I couldn't remember if our last suite had the sleeper chair, but looking back at pictures it looks like it did, we just didn’t need it since it was only Judy and I on that trip.

Sleeper chair

IMG_9554_zps6dns3nsx.jpg

IMG_9556_zpsl7wb85rl.jpg

Judy and I wanted to show the kids the beach before it got too late, so we drove to the Beach House. We must have arrived right at 5 because they closed the bar just as we walked in. It probably looked like one of those scenes out of a Western, where the bad guys ride into town and all of the shopowners quickly close up their stores and mothers scoop up their children from the street and run inside. Anyway, with no place to refill our mugs, I took them back down to the car. We went into the ocean for a little while and the surf seemed choppier than last year when it was so calm. James wouldn't go in past his ankles. I think he was worried about sharks with the several attacks that had occurred along the Atlantic coast that year.

DSCF0264_zpswnse78od.jpg

The girls ventured out a little further.

DSCF0265_zpsaudnju3g.jpg

DSCF0266_zpsangfej4g.jpg

DSCF0267_zpsgve79ypm.jpg

Beach hair -- don’t care.

DSCF0268_zpsw7h7oe14.jpg

I went with James up to the Beach House pool and we swam for a while and then played ping pong. The girls came up a little while later and reported that their towels got completely covered by blowing sand, so yeah, the weather was a little rough. We drove back to the suite and had frozen pizza and the last couple of leftover Via Napoli slices.

After eating, Judy and I went to Publix and got a few groceries, including some fried chicken to eat on the beach for tomorrow’s lunch. (If you remember my last Hilton Head report, I’d learned from our kayak-tour guide that the Publix fried chicken was particularly good.) I also went to a Walgreens to get an SD card for my camera. I found a 32mb card on sale for $18, normally $42, but needed a Walgreens card. I got in line intending to ask the cashier if she could help me card-wise but the couple ahead of me had one and when I asked them if I could use it to get the discount for my purchase, they happily let me. Thank you, random Walgreens shoppers!

When we got back, the kids weren’t in the suite, which was good because I was afraid they'd be watching tv rather than enjoying the resort. We grabbed our mugs and found them at the pool. Judy sat with Lauren in the chairs, I swam with James and went down the slide a couple of times, and Marlene texted with her friends. James and I walked out onto the pier for a while, then came back and played cornhole until the shuffleboard court freed-up. The pool closed while we were playing, at 10 o'clock. We played shuffleboard until we lost one of the discs. We don't know if it ricocheted off into the pine straw or what. We searched for it for probably 10 to 15 minutes using my cell phone flashlight but never found it. That’s the way a lot of summertime games end, isn’t it? You play until the darkness claims a ball, frisbee, or shuffleboard disc...or, more likely, until someone clonks their head on an unseen tree limb. Anyway, the lost disc told us that the game was over, so we walked back to the suite and went to bed.

Up next: Our first full day on Hilton Head

Last edited:
Very nice first beach day, so relaxing. You really need this after the parks. And now I'm hungry for fried chicken.

A lovely start to the Hilton Head portion of the trip! The room looks really nice!

Sounds like a nice relaxing start with a swim and some nighttime games. Love it!!

drive by hello. hope all is well!!!!

HI! :wave:

Yes, we oldtimers know who we are. ;)

It's okay, @jordanyosh we ARE old. :rolleyes2

Yes we are. :crutches:

We must have arrived right at 5 because they closed the bar just as we walked in.

They saw you coming... :rolleyes::laughing:

3 lovely ladies...

After eating, Judy and I went to Publix and got a few groceries, including some fried chicken to eat on the beach for tomorrow’s lunch. (If you remember my last Hilton Head report, I’d learned from our kayak-tour guide that the Publix fried chicken was particularly good.

Yes Publix Fried chicken! party:

We played shuffleboard until we lost one of the discs. We don't know if it ricocheted off into the pine straw or what. We searched for it for probably 10 to 15 minutes using my cell phone flashlight but never found it. That’s the way a lot of summertime games end, isn’t it? You play until the darkness claims a ball, frisbee, or shuffleboard disc...or, more likely, until someone clonks their head on an unseen tree limb. Anyway, the lost disc told us that the game was over, so we walked back to the suite and went to bed.

rut roh. We did manage to make to Hilton Head to use up some points. I know nice problem to have but with work they way it has been it happened. Glad you are enjoying the resort. I did. :thumbsup2

A lovely start to the Hilton Head portion of the trip! The room looks really nice!

It was nice to have a portion of the drive home behind us. Yes, I like the rooms at Hilton Head resort.

Sounds like a nice relaxing start with a swim and some nighttime games. Love it!!

Settling into relaxing-vacation-mode after all of the activity of the parks.

Yes we are. :crutches:

:laughing:

They saw you coming... :rolleyes::laughing:

They sure did. Dang, I wanted to fill my mug though.

3 lovely ladies...

Yep!
Yes Publix Fried chicken! party:

Not too shabby. Sure hits the spot as cold leftovers on the beach, as we'll see the next day. (But I already knew that, of course.)

rut roh. We did manage to make to Hilton Head to use up some points. I know nice problem to have but with work they way it has been it happened. Glad you are enjoying the resort. I did. :thumbsup2

Yes, nice problem to have, although I understand that it might not have been your first plan for using the points. The occasion that I'm reporting on was Judy and my second visit to HHI resort. We really like it there and were planning on going this summer, but then I got season passes for her and I for our big trip over next New Year's and then I had a thought: "why not get even more trips out of the passes?!" So now we're going in October for Food & Wine, then over New Year's with all of the kids, and then just Judy and I again in Sep. 2020 to hit Food & Wine again. 3 trips!

glenbo123, we've also stayed in 1226, as well as in the 1 BRs in the main lodge. It may have seemed larger to you, but it isn't. I remember that the view was nice, and there was more sunlight than in some of the Main Lodge villas we've had.

I love the look of Hilton Head! Reminds me of the relaxing feel of Vero Beach.

Your travel plans for three trips to WDW sound great! Makes a lot of sense if you get an AP to use it like that. Where are you going to stay?

Yes, nice problem to have, although I understand that it might not have been your first plan for using the points. The occasion that I'm reporting on was Judy and my second visit to HHI resort. We really like it there and were planning on going this summer, but then I got season passes for her and I for our big trip over next New Year's and then I had a thought: "why not get even more trips out of the passes?!" So now we're going in October for Food & Wine, then over New Year's with all of the kids, and then just Judy and I again in Sep. 2020 to hit Food & Wine again. 3 trips!

Great use for an AP. My annual Conference in October is At WDW this year so hopefully we will have a nice long October trip. There is a slight chance we may have to shorten it, but I hope I can keep the whole thing.:goodvibes

Great update Glenn! HHIR is a great place to relax and there's plenty to do! Looks like you were off to a super start!

Must have been the company.... :love:

glenbo123, we've also stayed in 1226, as well as in the 1 BRs in the main lodge. It may have seemed larger to you, but it isn't. I remember that the view was nice, and there was more sunlight than in some of the Main Lodge villas we've had.

Hi Simba's Mom! Is this your first post on this particular TR? I know you've posted on others in the past, but after um a few years of this trip report lingering on, it's getting a little hard to keep track. Well, :welcome: if this is your first post, or even if it isn't!

Yes, it was a nice view from that room, and it was a good location. Closer to the pool and the mercantile than Live Oak Lodge, for sure.

I love the look of Hilton Head! Reminds me of the relaxing feel of Vero Beach.

It's really nice Magdalene. Having stayed at both resorts, I'd have to say that I think Hilton Head is even more relaxing than Vero. At least as long as you don't try to drive anywhere! The traffic can get quite congested on the island and can be frustrating sitting in slow traffic. As long as you stay at the resort and the beach, very relaxing.

Your travel plans for three trips to WDW sound great! Makes a lot of sense if you get an AP to use it like that. Where are you going to stay?

Jambo House this October. Then Kidani for the bulk of the December trip, but hoping to change resorts around Jan 1 or 2 to Boardwalk, Beach Club, or Riviera. I'll hit the 7-month mark in a week or so, so we'll see if anything is available. Availability is looking really sparse at the moment, but maybe it'll open up as others move? We'll see. I'm hoping to get a Jambo House Value Studio for September 2020, but I hear those are hard to get even for home resort owners like myself. Again, we'll see how that turns out.

Great use for an AP. My annual Conference in October is At WDW this year so hopefully we will have a nice long October trip. There is a slight chance we may have to shorten it, but I hope I can keep the whole thing.:goodvibes

My fingers are crossed for you Pat! We'll hit MCO on 10/19 for a week's stay. Let me know if we overlap.

Great update Glenn! HHIR is a great place to relax and there's plenty to do! Looks like you were off to a super start!

I really love Hilton Head. Yes, we started this leg of the trip quite nicely.

Must have been the company.... :love:

Oh boy, fishing for compliments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter