Big 2 year old - Proof of age?

robinb said:
I swear that everyone lives in Lake Woebegone where the women are strong, the men good looking and the children are above average.

Nope. In our house, the women are good looking, the men are strong and the kids.....well ya, they are above average....... (in height anyway).

LOL
FTR, my DS2 is very tall but a super late talker so clearly in the minority :)

When mine was 2 he was the same way. And beyond, too. Then he spoke with a lisp. Still does, sometimes. (as do his dad and uncle)

As long as he talked in his normal way, there were no problems getting into a Disney park when he was 2. Except for when he would say he was 5. Thankfully he never did that at Disneyland. :)

I would just bring the birth certificate. How hard is it to make a copy, fold it, put it in a gallon ziplock, and just keep that in the diaper bag?

I don't ever travel without a copy of my daughter's birth certificate and a copy of my marriage license (because the state of FL puts the mother's birth name, not married name, on the birth certificate).

We took DD to Disney for one day on the day before her third birthday. Obviously she looked three since she turned three the next day, but no one questioned us.

I've had the opposite experience. My oldest is 95% for both height and weight and when she was 3 and 4 years old, CM's would open the gate and expect us to walk right through. I had to basically force them to take the ticket and put it through. My other ones are small for age, but I've never been asked about any of them.

Anyone ever notice how every kid on the Dis is extremely tall and talks extremely well?

ha! so true!

my DD is tall and was an early talker.

but both of my boys are short and were/are late talkers. sadly, they are in the minority on DisBoards. ;)

My DS is nearly 3 and we took him in October, about 3 months before his 3rd birthday. Never once were we asked for proof of his age. He is about the same size as my 4.5 year old DD and he towers over other 2 year olds and talks as much as my DD does. We always told them at the buffets that he was two, they also asked as we had the DDP and only one child was on the plan. We never were charged for a buffet meal for him and were never asked for proof of age when entering any park. I've also never bothered taking a birth certificate with either.

"Anyone ever notice how every kid on the Dis is extremely tall and talks extremely well?"

Well, when a question is about kids who are large or advanced for their age is it surprising that people answer who have kids who are tall and advanced?

For the record my girls are both very small but were articulate speakers.

My son was HUGE but not talkative. As a teen he towers over me and is still a man of very few words. He is an honors student but just not chatty.

There are many people here, on the Dis, with petite kids, huge kids, advanced kids, and kids with developmental delays. In our extended family we have kids with disabilities, kids with health issues, and kids who seem to lead golden lives.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. All I would add is that for your future sanity you might want to get used to people thinking you're gaming the system now. I was one of those kids that looked old for their age. I can still remember getting grilled by servers in restaurants over my age, buffets of course being worst.

In the case of Disney, just answer honestly when asked and be ready to explain that your son is indeed 2 but very excited about his upcoming birthday if he answers incorrectly. In the case of restaurants, when you're seated be upfront about his age and inquire about the proper procedure from the server.

I've always thought it odd that the gate CMs would ask the 2 year olds how old they were. Maybe the ones who do just don't have a lot of experience with young children. A lot of the ones I've been around answer the wrong age, say nothing at all and look confused, or answer something random like "I like planes."

"Anyone ever notice how every kid on the Dis is extremely tall and talks extremely well?"

Well, when a question is about kids who are large or advanced for their age is it surprising that people answer who have kids who are tall and advanced?

For the record my girls are both very small but were articulate speakers.

My son was HUGE but not talkative. As a teen he towers over me and is still a man of very few words. He is an honors student but just not chatty.

There are many people here, on the Dis, with petite kids, huge kids, advanced kids, and kids with developmental delays. In our extended family we have kids with disabilities, kids with health issues, and kids who seem to lead golden lives.

It was a joke. Just like when people talk about their kids missing school, suddenly all the kids on the boards are amazingly gifted, straight A students who don't really need to go to school at all. It's just a pattern that seems to emerge on the boards. Whether everyone is telling the truth or not, who knows....it's just kind of funny.

FTR...I was always very tiny (never made the charts until I was 6) but I spoke very very early. My brother on the other hand was always very tall but spoke late. So I guess we are unusually as well...lol

We have the opposite problem. My nine year old is big for his age - he is over 5'1and weighs 110lbs. We have never been asked to prove he is still 9, and we do the dining plan all the time. I am always worried people will think we are scammers

We've gone several times with kids over and under 3. We rarely had anyone ask ages, with the exception of TS meals. But those often began with confirming the head count of adults, children - who is over 3 or under 10, etc.

When we've gone with extended family, we have had some excellent talkers, tall kids, small kids, some great at math and some burst into tears when an unfamiliar adult spoke to them, a few were even terrfied of costumed characters. I'm not sure if any were tall and well spoken at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter