Better to bank points before waitlisting?

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
We have December use year and need to bank by July. We want to go on waitlist for August visit. Should we bank our current use year points FIRST before waitlisting? Because if I don't get the waitlist, I can't bank the points anymore if it's after my bank date, right? If I bank the points first, get the waitlist and decide to cancel, will the points go back to the next use year (since I banked)? Am I making sense or just confusing myself and everyone else?

Once banked, they cannot be unbanked. So you’d have to borrow from the next use year
Ok - Makes sense! Thanks!

If I cancel a reservation using current UY and is past my bank by date, then I'm out of luck? I can't bank anymore and have to use those points in current UY?

Ok - Makes sense! Thanks!

If I cancel a reservation using current UY and is past my bank by date, then I'm out of luck? I can't bank anymore and have to use those points in current UY?

Correct. And if you cancel less than 31 days out, points go into holding.

So, it’s best to keep the waitlist in place until 31 days out. If it’s an August date, and banking is end of July, you’d be able to bank still if it doesn’t fill.

But once you bank, the waitlist can only be filled if you authorize borrowing.

Didn't want you to skip over Sandi's last sentence. It's very important.

If you decide to bank, make sure you authorize borrowing when you set up the waitlist!

No harm to set up the waitlist to authorize borrowing now, and bank just before the deadline if the waitlist doesn't work before then. If the waitlist comes through before you bank, the CM will use current use year points before borrowing.

Correct. And if you cancel less than 31 days out, points go into holding.

So, it’s best to keep the waitlist in place until 31 days out. If it’s an August date, and banking is end of July, you’d be able to bank still if it doesn’t fill.

But once you bank, the waitlist can only be filled if you authorize borrowing.
Didn't want you to skip over Sandi's last sentence. It's very important.

If you decide to bank, make sure you authorize borrowing when you set up the waitlist!

No harm to set up the waitlist to authorize borrowing now, and bank just before the deadline if the waitlist doesn't work before then. If the waitlist comes through before you bank, the CM will use current use year points before borrowing.

Thank you, both, for the tips!!! It now makes sense. Much appreciated!

I'm reviving this year old thread because I'm in this exact situation right now.
  • 150 points with a December UY.
  • I currently have 75 points left for this year and a waitlist for an August trip that will cost 200 points.
    • If the waitlist comes through before July 31 (banking deadline), I'll use up my UY2020 points and borrow points from UY2021. (I've authorized borrowing for the waitlist.)
    • If the waitlist doesn't come through by July 31, I'll bank my 75 points.
      • If the waitlist never comes through, no worries. I'll use my banked 75 next year.
      • If the waitlist comes through after I bank my points, will the CM use the banked 75 points before borrowing from next year?

No, once you bank the 75 points, they will be in the next UY and will be unavailable for this August.

I'm reviving this year old thread because I'm in this exact situation right now.
  • 150 points with a December UY.
  • I currently have 75 points left for this year and a waitlist for an August trip that will cost 200 points.
    • If the waitlist comes through before July 31 (banking deadline), I'll use up my UY2020 points and borrow points from UY2021. (I've authorized borrowing for the waitlist.)
    • If the waitlist doesn't come through by July 31, I'll bank my 75 points.
      • If the waitlist never comes through, no worries. I'll use my banked 75 next year.
      • If the waitlist comes through after I bank my points, will the CM use the banked 75 points before borrowing from next year?

As mentioned that can't be done. Once banked they are only eligible for stays from Dec 1, 2021-Nov 30 2022. Also don't forget the 50% borrowing restriction so if you needed to borrow 200 points you will need to own 400 points and also not have borrowed for any other trip that might put you over 50% if you borrowed 200 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter