Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

Part 17 – The Hottest Place on Earth

If you could pick any park to start off your trip what would you pick? For some reason I always end up at AK and that was no different this trip.

I had a ten-day ticket this trip, so I didn’t feel the need to rope drop – plus Pandora was not open yet so there was nothing new I was desperate to try out!

But I eventually made my way over for a morning in the hottest place on earth. I should note that I had memory maker for the first time this trip and I loved it – travelling solo it is so hard to get nice photos and it was definitely worth the investment even if it is a little pricey.

So when I entered the park I headed over to the Tree of Life to get some photos taken.

I didn't stop to get in line but a slightly less common meet & greet was happening - Tarzan (and my DH says I can't meet him again if that's all he wears! :rotfl: )

I then headed back to Africa to grab a late breakfast at Kusafari – I believe it was a carrot cake cupcake.

I wasn’t planning on doing a lot that day – just the three FPs I booked because I had lunch plans somewhere else.

I know I rode Everest and Dinosaur but honestly can’t remember what the third one was! Although my old PTR says it was either Kilimanjaro or Kali so I’ll lean towards the former!

I also stopped for a photo with my favorite duck.

After a few hours I was leaving the park and on a bus to AKL for my first splurge Disney experience of the trip.

I was doing the dining with an animal expert at Sanaa. I checked in and they said there was only one other person booked that day, but they didn’t turn up, so I ended up having a private experience!

In terms of food I had the bread service to start and chicken curry with tomato salad for my entrée.

But that’s not the important part – the experience was. I had a male animal expert (and I wish I could remember his name – I want to say Joe, but I could be completely making that up) and he was so friendly and hospitable. I’m sure it must have been hard only having one guest and I think he said he was filling in for the person who was scheduled for that day.

But he was great (even if it did feel like being on a weird date when your sat at a two top alone together!). He answered all the questions I had and then because it was just me, he took me out into one of the animal enclosures outside after the meal and I got to pet a tortoise (no pics allowed).

After an hour or so our time was up. They packed up basically the full bread service and all the dips for me to take with me which was really nice of them.

I caught a bus to MK and then got on a boat to WL (this was the most direct route back to the hotel).

I relaxed for a bit in the afternoon and then got changed before heading out that evening for my next experience.

Next – Best Character Experience Ever!

Did you just pick Denver randomly? If you did that's hilarious because that's where I live now :laughing:.
Nope. I took a chance and clicked on your Avatar. Some people fill in where they live and some don't. You did. ;)
(Or, if you prefer, I've been stalking you this whole time and knew everything already.)
Also I did google - my town gets 78 inches per year snowfall on average and Winnipeg gets 44.8 so you were correct!
I'm not surprised.
Now go Google winter temperatures. ;)
It was definitely the highlight of a pretty good meal.
::yes::
My memory is rusty but doesn't Ruby like sangrias? I could be way off after three years though
Wow! Now I'm impressed that you remembered that!
But
I haven't written about it, but I went to Hoop Dee Doo in September for the first time and ordered the white sangria.
Apparently I'm as easily impressed as your typical toddler :laughing:
:laughing:

If you could pick any park to start off your trip what would you pick?
MK
Easy choice for me. It was the only Disney park in Florida when I first went.
I should note that I had memory maker for the first time this trip and I loved it – travelling solo it is so hard to get nice photos and it was definitely worth the investment even if it is a little pricey.
I never get it... I'll pick 3-4 photos and pay a la carte. But... since I got an AP this year, I've been using them a lot more. :)
Such a pretty dress! Very nice. :)
Tarzan (and my DH says I can't meet him again if that's all he wears! :rotfl: )
He was at the Halloween party and had a very excited, long line of girls to meet him.
I then headed back to Africa to grab a late breakfast at Kusafari – I believe it was a carrot cake cupcake.
No giant cinnamon roll??????
Cool photo op. Where is that?
I was doing the dining with an animal expert at Sanaa.
Oh, cool!
I checked in and they said there was only one other person booked that day, but they didn’t turn up, so I ended up having a private experience!
No. Way!
But he was great (even if it did feel like being on a weird date when your sat at a two top alone together!).
Did this one ask to marry you, too? ;) :)
and then because it was just me, he took me out into one of the animal enclosures outside after the meal and I got to pet a tortoise
Cool! What other animals were in the enclosure? Get close to any?
Ha I don't even remember changing that when I signed back in after being away. I clearly gave him too much credit!
Fine. In that case, I was totally stalking you.

;)

Nope. I took a chance and clicked on your Avatar. Some people fill in where they live and some don't. You did. ;)
(Or, if you prefer, I've been stalking you this whole time and knew everything already.)

I seriously don't even remember updating it but I'm glad it was useful for your stalking purposes 😉

I'm not surprised.
Now go Google winter temperatures. ;)

I'll give you that one - I think our average winter temp (maximum) is around 44 Fahrenheit and Winnipeg is 15.3. And your lows have an average of -2 whereas ours are 18. So you win. Enjoy you cold. 🥶

Wow! Now I'm impressed that you remembered that!
But
I haven't written about it, but I went to Hoop Dee Doo in September for the first time and ordered the white sangria.

I think it was in your Montreal (or was it Quebec) TR that you mentioned she ordered it a few times. I have a good memory for random crap like that.

And ooo thanks for spoiler - If there is a quiz in your next TR I'll graciously step back from any question about sangria...

MK
Easy choice for me. It was the only Disney park in Florida when I first went.

Aww. I am older than two out of the four parks at least!

I never get it... I'll pick 3-4 photos and pay a la carte. But... since I got an AP this year, I've been using them a lot more. :)

It's definitely a perk of the AP. I wouldn't do it for a short trip but for one where I had 10 days of park tickets it worked out at $17 a day and that's like 2 ride photos OOP so it's not terrible.

He was at the Halloween party and had a very excited, long line of girls to meet him.

I can imagine a lot of teens/young ladies with instagram who'd love a photo with him to post on the SM.

No giant cinnamon roll??????

Anyone I know who had it always said it was really dry.

Cool photo op. Where is that?

It's in dinoland on a little side path - to the right of dinosaur if your standing in front of it looking at it.

Did this one ask to marry you, too? ;) :)

Man that would have been the dream - married to a CM so I can live in Orlando and go to the parks whenever I want. But I guess my DH is ok too...

Cool! What other animals were in the enclosure? Get close to any?

It was just the tortoise - its the little enclosure right up against the window of Sanaa.

Fine. In that case, I was totally stalking you.

;)

I seriously don't even remember updating it but I'm glad it was useful for your stalking purposes 😉
Yeah... just ignore those cameras set up around your place.
I'll give you that one - I think our average winter temp (maximum) is around 44 Fahrenheit and Winnipeg is 15.3. And your lows have an average of -2 whereas ours are 18. So you win. Enjoy you cold. 🥶
Yay! I... win??
I think it was in your Montreal (or was it Quebec) TR that you mentioned she ordered it a few times. I have a good memory for random crap like that.
Whoa. Even I don't remember that!
And ooo thanks for spoiler - If there is a quiz in your next TR I'll graciously step back from any question about sangria...
I haven't done a quiz in quite a while. It's a huge amount of work. And shipping the prize usually cost me $50 or so (not including the cost of the prize!)

Aww. I am older than two out of the four parks at least!
<sigh> I'm older than... Disneyworld.
It's definitely a perk of the AP. I wouldn't do it for a short trip but for one where I had 10 days of park tickets it worked out at $17 a day and that's like 2 ride photos OOP so it's not terrible.
Looking at it that way... it's certainly affordable. :)
I can imagine a lot of teens/young ladies with instagram who'd love a photo with him to post on the SM.
Anyone I know who had it always said it was really dry.
Well now you know one who thought it was delicious.
It's in dinoland on a little side path - to the right of dinosaur if your standing in front of it looking at it.
Huh. Never seen it!
Man that would have been the dream - married to a CM so I can live in Orlando and go to the parks whenever I want. But I guess my DH is ok too...
:laughing: Your DH doesn't read this, does he. ;)

The candy on top of that cupcake looked to me like a pumpkin, so I'm guessing it was a pumpkin cupcake.

Yeah... just ignore those cameras set up around your place.

You mean I'm not imagining those little blinking red lights?

I haven't done a quiz in quite a while. It's a huge amount of work. And shipping the prize usually cost me $50 or so (not including the cost of the prize!)

See I've been gone too long. But that's definitely fair. I did youtube for a while for something non-disney related and I did giveaways and the shipping used to cost me a fortune!

<sigh> I'm older than... Disneyworld.

As long as you're still young at heart.

Well now you know one who thought it was delicious.

I can probably (well easily) convince my husband to try it this trip so I'll report back if we do. And if he hates it I'll tell him to take it up with you.

:laughing: Your DH doesn't read this, does he. ;)

Ha nope! I'm not allowed to read what he posts on Internet forums like reddit so he can't read what I write here!

The candy on top of that cupcake looked to me like a pumpkin, so I'm guessing it was a pumpkin cupcake.

You've got great eyesight. It probably was pumpkin given it was late October! That's the problem trying to write this three years later. I can remember a lot of things but without the detailed notes sometimes I'm having to guess from photos!

You mean I'm not imagining those little blinking red lights?
Nope! I mean, yes! Yes you are!
See I've been gone too long. But that's definitely fair. I did youtube for a while for something non-disney related and I did giveaways and the shipping used to cost me a fortune!
As long as you're still young at heart.
Eh? What's that? I'm an old fart?
I can probably (well easily) convince my husband to try it this trip so I'll report back if we do. And if he hates it I'll tell him to take it up with you.
I'm okay with that.

Wait... Is he really strong?

Part 18 – Best Character Experience Ever!

After a quick break back at WL it was time to head out for another added extra (yep all those $ do add up but it was my once in a lifetime birthday extravaganza!).

I hopped on a bus and was on my way to HS for the evening. I had time to fill in before the event, so I grabbed a seat at Fantasmic (it was the early showing). Fantasmic is not my favorite nighttime show but it’s always enjoyable. And this night was packed!

After the show I headed over to the RNRC area to check in for Club Villain. Now this was a pricey event, not only did you need park admission, but the event was $129 a person!

Everyone waited outside after checking in before the opened the doors for the event – I believe it was 2 hours from 8:30-10:30pm. I can’t remember if it was assigned seating or that’s just where I picked a spot, but I was seated right near the stage on the left-hand side.

I walked around the room and looked at the buffet stations and got some food and then went to get my first drink – cocktails were included in the price and I wanted to get some value from my ticket.

And then the show started – the event was hosted by Dr Facilier. The actor was fabulous and had a great singing voice. The event was set up so that when you checked in you got a card that had your assigned meet and greet times for the four villains and you had to make sure you were lined up during those periods or you missed your chance.

Continued

Continued

So, over the course of the evening and between drinks and plates of food I had my four meet and greets. You had two times and two villains in each block.

First up on my schedule was Cruella De Ville. She was great although it appears as though she might have had a little bit too much to drink!

Next up was Maleficent. She was definitely in character but nowhere near as entertaining as Cruella.

Then there was a break – more food – dessert time!

And then the villains came together for a song and dance routine.

And then it was time for my next two meet and greets and the first one was my absolute favorite of this trip – the Queen of Hearts. The actress playing her was phenomenal – she was funny and witty and just so entertaining. I also got the best meet and greet photos out of it.

This one makes me laugh every single time I see it.

And finally, it was time to meet the Evil Queen. After the Queen of Hearts, she was a bit of a letdown. I know it’s the character, but she was so blasé and disinterested that it couldn’t live up to the previous ones.

After that it was almost time for the event to event. I should have mentioned they had a dance floor and tunes going all night, but it was really only kids enjoying themselves out on it.

So eventually I left and walked out the park and caught a bus back to my resort.

Would I do the event again? I’m not sure. The food was good but not outstanding. It did include alcohol which is a plus but also not for everyone. The entertainment was solid. And most of the meet and greets were fantastic. But it was also $129 for just two hours and you needed a park ticket. That’s a lot of money and with a family of four that’s over $500 and I don’t know if I could ever justify that.

Next up – A little magic in the morning

Last edited:
Part 19 – A little magic in the morning

No rope drop again this morning. Having such a long visit meant I could relax and enjoy myself a little more.

I caught the boat from WL to MK – and I must say it is a really nice way to arrive at the park.

I spent a few hours at MK as I had plans outside the park for the afternoon.

I started off with Fantasyland and finally got the chance to try the cinnamon roll at Gaston’s Tavern. It was ok but honestly Cinnabon is better!

I had a FP for my least favorite ride – 7DMT. I honestly just think this ride is boring and I think the ride photos capture my feelings perfectly.

I hopped into line for princess meet and greet – and I wanted to do that in the morning because I was Disney bounding as one of the two. That day it was Tiana – who I prefer to meet at Liberty Square, and Rapunzel who admired my mickey ears and all the flowers.

I headed clockwise from Fantasyland and made my way into tomorrow land – I had a FP for Space Mountain – and I can never remember quite where the camera is in there!

After space I crossed back across the park stopping in main street and the hub for a whole bunch of photos and magic shots (which seriously always look so odd)

And then I continued on to my last FP in Frontierland – Splash Mountain. I was inspired by @pkondz to try theming my Splash photos this trip and went for the disinterested government agent (she’ll make more appearances through this trip!).

I stopped for lunch at Pecos Bills and I do love the topping bar there – makes meals feel so much more personalized.

And then I headed back towards the entrance to leave the park for the day. I had big plans for the afternoon

Next up – How to ensure a good night’s sleep at Disney

Last edited:
And then the show started – the event was hosted by Dr Facilier. The actor was fabulous and had a great singing voice. The event was set up so that when you checked in you got a card that had your assigned meet and greet times for the four villains and you had to make sure you were lined up during those periods or you missed your chance.

That brings back memories! We did Club Villain a couple years back, and I loved it. I was planning to do it again to show a friend but they didn't bring it back.

That brings back memories! We did Club Villain a couple years back, and I loved it. I was planning to do it again to show a friend but they didn't bring it back.

It's a shame it didn't come back. The meet & greets were great but maybe the $129+ price tag put people off and they didn't sell as much as they'd hoped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter