Better BBQ--Whispering Canyon or Flame Tree BBQ???

Angies1274

DIS Veteran
Hi--My DH LOVES BBQ so we are considering checking out either Whispering Canyon or Flame Tree BBQ on our next visit to WDW. Which is better or is there someplace even better that I don't know about??? THANKS.....

Flame Tree is great and we would go there. But there are not any "authentic" BBQ places in WDW.....if that is what you are after.

Definitely get the skillet at WCC. We are from Texas and were seriously missing BBQ. DH's coworkers told him the skillet at WCC was as close as you can get in Orlando. It's pretty good!

We also like Flame Tree for a quick fix.

last week the ribs at Flame Tree were close to being inedible, but the pulled pork sandwich was good.

There have been quite a few complaints recently here on the boards about WCC ( me included ). On our last visit to WCC, the food was about as bad as any food I've ever had in disney, and the service was horrible. We were there for nearly 3 hours ( with 3 children:mad: )
We go to Flame Tree on every visit and have enjoyed the ribs each time. I guess sometimes it's a crapshoot as to how good the food is at any given time.

DH's coworkers told him the skillet at WCC was as close as you can get in Orlando.

Fire those co-workers! Bubbaloo's and Cecil's are both better than WCC for Texas-style BBQ, and there may be others (but I only lived in Orlando for a year, so I didn't have time to try them all).

I ate at both last trip and the pulled pork sandwich from Flame tree was great and the skillet from WCC was just OK.

I don't care for WCC because the food is served in a metal skillet. I guess I am sensitive to the taste, but the metal definitely picked up into the food. I couldn't eat it. The service wasn't great, either.

We've always enjoyed Flame Tree, though!

I liked Flame tree when we were there a few weeks ago...it was good. The kids had hotdogs, the teens had the pulled pork sandwiches and I had the 1/2 chicken while hubby had the ribs. It was all good...and the cornbread is DELISH! My only complaint was that there were no additional condiments at the little bar off to the side, I needed sugar for my tea and some additional sauce would have been nice.

Flame Tree is great and we would go there. But there are not any "authentic" BBQ places in WDW.....if that is what you are after.

The bbq at Flame Tree and Big River Grille are slow smoked over low heat. I've been told the same is true of the ribs at Boma but I have not had them, yet. Flame tree ribs were naked, dry rub only with sauce on the side. The ribs at Big river grille had rub and sauce, both were VERY good.

Slow smoked over wood or wood & lump/coal is about as authentic as you can get. Of course the cook has a lot to do with it as well as the type of smoke wood for each meat.

Steve

I liked Flame tree when we were there a few weeks ago...it was good. The kids had hotdogs, the teens had the pulled pork sandwiches and I had the 1/2 chicken while hubby had the ribs. It was all good...and the cornbread is DELISH! My only complaint was that there were no additional condiments at the little bar off to the side, I needed sugar for my tea and some additional sauce would have been nice.

I don't know about sugar, but there are two different sauces available at a little condiment stand to the left of the food counter--spicy BBQ and sweet.

Love the 1/2 chicken meal at Flame Tree. It's also more convenient as you don't have to make a special trip to Wilderness Lodge. We thought WCC was just okay, though we enjoyed the bottomless milkshakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter