Besties Eat, Drink and runDisney - A November PTR - Updated 10/25

lovingeire

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my November trip report! Here you'll find all the details of our amazing, hopefully, Wine & Dine adventure in November! This will be my third year running Wine & Dine and my second year for the Two Course Challenge.

IMG_9538.JPG

**Disclaimer** I have NEVER written a trip report before, despite reading and commenting on many. You have been warned!!!!

Introductions of This Trip's Cast

Planning
Wine & Dine Training Updates
Random Posts

I'll try to update here when I add posts so you can easily link to info if you're looking for it. Try being the key word! (Because I have to figure out how to link each post. So if you are more DIS/tech savvy then I, please share your wealth of knowledge on how this is done!)

So hold on to your hats and glasses kids, 'cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Last edited:
Let me introduce myself...

IMG_9657.JPG

I'm Gretchen. I'm a mom to three wild and crazy boys and wife to one equally crazy husband. I'm Disney obsessed and raising little, and not so little, Disney addicts. My DH has a secret love affair with Disney. He complains about it because of the cost, but he loves being there. And eating there. Sadly none of my cute boys will be on this trip with me, as instead I will be traveling with my BFF!

sorcerermickey.jpg

Some of my Disney favorites include:
-The Little Mermaid/Ariel
-Merida
-Minnie
-Tigger
-Big Thunder Mountain
-Main Street Electrical Parade
-Wishes (although excited to see Happily Ever After!)
-Lapu Lapus
-Grapefruit Beer
-Churros

My partner in crime this trip is my BFF Jan. She is my most frequent runDisney companion. We met when on the PTA board at our kids school when our now teenagers were in third grade. But it was signing up for Princess weekend (our first races) in 2015 that really made us inseparable! Running has changed our friendship for the better! We live in different states, but meet to run. (Mostly at Disney, but we have done some other races together.) Having a fellow Disney addict for a best friend comes in quite handy! And you'll notice that we quite frequently will dress in matching outfits because we are truly kids at heart! (I just realized this picture is a bad example of that, but you'll have plenty of other opportunities to see us match away!)

IMG_0747.JPG

Some of Jan's favorites include:
-Mickey
-Cinderella
-Big Thunder Mountain
-Earl Gray Tea
-fruity cocktails like the Himalayan Ghost
-Expedition Everest
-Pandora charms

Wine & Dine will be our third race weekend this year. We ran Light Side at Disneyland in January, Dark Side at WDW in April and are heading back to the World for Wine & Dine in November. We earned our coveted Kessel Run medal in April, which was a bucket list item for us. Looking forward to one of our favorite race weekends!

Last edited:
WHERE ARE WE STAYING?

Every year I've done Wine & Dine I've wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts. Easy access to Food & Wine as well as the Wine & Dine after party caused them to be so appealing! Being able to walk back through the International Gateway is the best perk ever for this weekend. When I called to book for W&D weekend I had thought we'd stay at Beach Club, but there was no availability with the military discount, however we got a fabulous rate at.....

THE BOARDWALK INN!!!!!

board-walk-inn-gallery00.jpg

We'll be staying in a standard view room for six nights and can't wait to experience this resort for the first time! Plus, our normal haunt for race weekends is one of the Port Orleans resorts so staying deluxe is a huge treat! I put in a request for a high floor and a room with fireworks views. I'm not sure how helpful that is when having to go to bed early for races, but it's just a request anyways. One of the convenient things is that we'll be super close to one of our favorite restaurants, Trattoria al Forno!

Great start! Joining in! And you are reminding me that I never go back and post chapter links, so you're already WAY ahead of me!

I think it's great that you have a BFF that is a Disney crazed running buddy! Loved your matching ears :love:

Can't wait to read more :-)

Food, Glorious Food!

ADR day is one I count down to every trip! After booking it's normally my first milestone in the trip planning process! This time the wait was less agonizing because we were at Disney mid April so I only had a couple weeks between Disney and ADR day. I still felt indecisive about my ADR's for the longest time for this trip though. I wanted to try new places, but kept changing my mind. In the end I think we came up with a good mix of old and a few new experiences.

Thurs, 11/2: Dinner at Les Chefs de France *new*

Fri, 11/3: Dinner at Tiffins (our surprise favorite from our Dark Side trip in April that changed our plans up!)

Sat, 11/4: Dinner at Trattoria al Forno

Sun, 11/5: Brunch at the Top at California Grill
*new experience at one of my favorites*

Mon, 11/6: Dinner at Be Our Guest

Tues, 11/7: Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno *new experience at an old favorite*

Be prepared: we are the people who take pictures of our food. So, when this switches to a trip report you WILL be getting full food reviews. Just FYI.

There are two meals I am most excited for:

1. Bon Voyage breakfast. Why you ask? Because my inner 7 year old cannot wait to meet Ariel and Prince Eric. It will be my first time meeting them together and I am stupidly excited for it! As proof, a selfie with Prince Eric during Princess Half 2016:

IMG_6626.JPG

2. Brunch at the Top!!!!! Since we had decided to eat at Tiffins again I was thinking we wouldn't do another signature, but my favorite restaurant sucked me in with mimosas, the view and fabulous food! What better way to celebrate running 19.2 miles? Hopefully it lives up to my expectations!

We also plan to enjoy Food & Wine for lunch one day and then at the Wine & Dine after party. This is one of my favorite events and I look forward to old favorites, and new specialties each year. The only problem is I never have enough room to try everything I want to at the festival!

Last edited:
Great start! Joining in! And you are reminding me that I never go back and post chapter links, so you're already WAY ahead of me!

I think it's great that you have a BFF that is a Disney crazed running buddy! Loved your matching ears :love:

Can't wait to read more :-)

Thanks for joining in! I have not figured out how to post the chapter links. I need a Trip Reports for dummies book or something! :rotfl:

Thanks for joining in! I have not figured out how to post the chapter links. I need a Trip Reports for dummies book or something! :rotfl:

1. Go down to the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to link

2. Hold your cursor over the number, and click on it

3. Right click on the highlighted in in the window that opens

4. Click copy

5. Go back to your post with the chapter links

6. Write out whatever you want to name you chapter, then highlight that whole sentence

7. Click on the little thing that looks like a paper clip…the one on the left, not the one with the x

8. Paste your copied code in there and click on insert

I think that's it! You'll get the hang of it soon :thumbsup2

Fairly new to the boards. But I love lurking on people's trip reports :)

I had to say, it is fitting Merida is one of your favorites because you remind me of her so much! If I was you I would take advantage of that for Halloween every year! So jealous!

1. Go down to the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to link

2. Hold your cursor over the number, and click on it

3. Right click on the highlighted in in the window that opens

4. Click copy

5. Go back to your post with the chapter links

6. Write out whatever you want to name you chapter, then highlight that whole sentence

7. Click on the little thing that looks like a paper clip…the one on the left, not the one with the x

8. Paste your copied code in there and click on insert

I think that's it! You'll get the hang of it soon :thumbsup2

You are a lifesaver! Thank you @buzzrelly I might survive this trip report after all!

Fairly new to the boards. But I love lurking on people's trip reports :)

I had to say, it is fitting Merida is one of your favorites because you remind me of her so much! If I was you I would take advantage of that for Halloween every year! So jealous!

:welcome:

Thanks for joining in on my humble trip report. I have a selfie of Merida and I and I swear our hair just blends together. I want to do her for a race costume, but I don't think I could manage running with my hair down! I never noticed this photo was blurry...hmmmm...Maybe it's my lame pull from FB so I don't have to search for it in my photos?

meridaselfie.jpg

Super excited because today I got the discounted Disney gift cards I ordered from BJ's. I saved about $30 on $600. Not a ton, but that's two Lapu Lapus! ;) Priorities.

disney gift cards.jpg

Isn't that a pretty sight?!?! So I promptly ordered my ticket for the Halloween party on 11/1! I am super excited because this will be my first Halloween party. We haven't traveled much in the fall due to the oldest's football schedule growing up so it's a blessing there is a party on 11/1 that I can experience.

Then I added the remaining five gift cards to my Disney Vacation Account. This bring my total savings for the trip to $575. And I just claimed a $25 gift card from Swagbucks so I'll be at an even $600 once I add that one to my account. (I have to purchase a Disney one with the Walmart card I redeemed for.) I've been trying to step up my Swagbucks game as of late because I was seriously slacking. Some people are so committed to it, but I am not one of those people! :rotfl2: I hadn't redeemed a gift card in months until now so it's been a long time coming! My goal is always not to impact my family budget for Disney trips so it comes out of my part time job paychecks, Swagbucks and a few other aps that I use. I take what I make from Ibotta and cash it out right before my trip for spending money. Gotta pay for those Lapu Lapus! :drinking1

Happy to say I'm about half way towards my portion of the trip!

Awesome! I love saving money on gift cards. I don't belong to BJ's, but I get 5% off at Target

I signed up for Swaybacks recently and then just promptly forgot about it :crazy2:

Congrats on getting to the half-way mark!

Awesome! I love saving money on gift cards. I don't belong to BJ's, but I get 5% off at Target

I signed up for Swaybacks recently and then just promptly forgot about it :crazy2:

Congrats on getting to the half-way mark!

I found out through the boards I think that you can order from BJ's even without a membership! Thought that was a cool perk. I almost joined Sam's Club before finding that out, but since the closest one is an hour and a half away being able to order from BJ's and save the drive and membership fees was a no brainer! I had a Target red card, but cancelled it in our whole Dave Ramsey process so this works for me.

And Swagbucks and I have a love/hate relationship. It can be a pain sometimes, but then again, it's free money essentially so I can't complain too much!

Awesome tip about the BJs cards, thanks! I think you will love staying at the BW area!!!

Thank you! We are so excited about the BW!

What's the trouble with my Target Redcard? I don't know if I could give it up, but tell my why I should anyway!

Nothing probably, unless you're us lol! We took Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey and realized we really are not good with credit cards so we cut all of ours up so we can pay them off and be done with them.

What?? That's awesome!

I know! And they ship them for free. So no immediate gratification, but worth the wait! And I didn't use it because I always forget about it, but ebates does have a cash back offer for it so you could combine those.

I am running my first RunDisney Race with this year's Wine and Dine Half. My sister is going to join me and run the 10k. Then we convinced our youngest sister to join us. Ever since we announced we were going to go and run my 12 year has begged me to come along. I told her she could if she saved enough money to cover her park ticket and half her plane ticket. She's only $100 away so it looks like she is joining us as well! TBH, I am really glad she is coming. It means I will have someone with me who for sure appreciates Disney the way I do!

We originally were booked at POFQ, then I changed us to BC Lagoon View since we had stayed at the Yacht Club last year and LOVED it. But my daughter had her heart set on the Poly, so I changed resorts again, but hey I saved $43 dollars! We also have never stayed at the Poly so I am excited for the chance to experience it. My sisters still think we are at POFQ. Hoping to keep it a surprise.

All that to basically say I am excited to follow this trip report :wave:.

I am running my first RunDisney Race with this year's Wine and Dine Half. My sister is going to join me and run the 10k. Then we convinced our youngest sister to join us. Ever since we announced we were going to go and run my 12 year has begged me to come along. I told her she could if she saved enough money to cover her park ticket and half her plane ticket. She's only $100 away so it looks like she is joining us as well! TBH, I am really glad she is coming. It means I will have someone with me who for sure appreciates Disney the way I do!

We originally were booked at POFQ, then I changed us to BC Lagoon View since we had stayed at the Yacht Club last year and LOVED it. But my daughter had her heart set on the Poly, so I changed resorts again, but hey I saved $43 dollars! We also have never stayed at the Poly so I am excited for the chance to experience it. My sisters still think we are at POFQ. Hoping to keep it a surprise.

All that to basically say I am excited to follow this trip report :wave:.

:welcome:

runDisney is so fun! You will love it! Although I will warn you, it becomes addicting! How fun that your daughter will be joining you! What a great girls trip! Poly is beautiful! I haven't stayed there yet either, but it is on my Disney bucket list! Thanks for following along!

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party Plans
Mickeys-Not-So-Scary-Halloween-Party-Boo-To-You-2.jpg

@FoxC63 has an amazing Halloween Party Planning Thread which sparked my interest in working on an itinerary to hep maximize our time at the Halloween party. We'll be at the last party on 11/1, which is our arrival day.

I will fly in at 1:20, but BFF doesn't arrive until 3pm. Normally I'd wait at MCO for her, but I am going to head straight to the resort. I should arrive to the resort by 2:30. Then I'll check in and store my luggage in the room and change (or reverse and leave with bell services depending...) . Then catch the bus to MK. I'm hoping I can make it there by 3:15 as you suggested in the regular Halloween party thread. So far I'm thinking:

3:15 - Arrive at MK (get in at 3:50-ish and walk through bypass for candy, bag & photo or two)

4:00-5:20pm - Jack & Sally (Hope to be towards the front of the line-ish. BFF will meet me in this line after she arrives.)

5:20pm-5:45pm: Peter Pan FastPass. (If we miss this due to Jack & Sally we can hopefully ride later in the night with little to no wait.)

5:45pm-6:30pm: SDMT FastPass (will hit this at the beginning of the window though likely.)

*Grab dinner at Columbia Harbor House to go or might just get in line while BFF grabs dinner or vice versa depending on the time.

6:30 – 7:30 M&G: Pooh & Gang (making their first set)

7:35 – 8:15: Minnie, Donald & Daisy M&G
*ToT at Pete's Silly Slideshow (either tag team or hit on way there or back.)
*Will check Goofy's line too now that he has a pirate costume????

8:20 - 8:30: Skeleton Magic Shot? (would probably only stop for this if there's little to no line. Might just hustle over to do HM MagicShot)
*ToT at Pinnochio's Village Haus & Philharmagic

8:40 - 8:50: Get pumpkin waffle from Sleepy Hollow
*ToT Liberty Square Riverboat

8:50 - 9:45: Stake out spot and watch 1st Boo to You Parade (Might stake out spot and have BFF hold spot while I pick up waffle.)

9:45 - 10:05: Ride Haunted Mansion & Haunted Mansion Magic Shots/Madam whomever (get done what we can after parade passes and then head towards hub for fireworks)

10:05 - 10:30: Fireworks

10:35 - 10:50: Lotso M&G
*ride Space Mountain if line is short
*ToT at Tomorrowland locations

10:50 - 11:05: Ride BTMR
*ToT at Dock to Tom Sawyer and Splash

11:05 - 11:15: ToT in Adventureland
*Might peak at character lines here or ride Pirates

11:20 - 11:40: Talking Vampire Mickey

11:40 - 11:50: Magic Shots on Main St.

11:50 - 12:15: Hocus Pocus Villian Spectacular

Hit Headless Horseman and any other MagicShots on the way out.

I'm very grateful to those going to earlier parties for sharing what they experience and learn. I've gone to the first Christmas party the last few years and know there are challenges with the early parties sometimes so I am excited to do things on the flip side for the Halloween party!

Last edited:
Boy, you've put so much more though into it that I have! I better get going and start planning! The only meet & greet I REALLY want is Jack and Sally. I may just use your plans for that one!

Isn't it exciting?!! Less than FOUR months!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!