Best WDW Resort for college kids?

BigRed98

Professional Disney Fan
Me and my college friends are planning to go to Disney for the first time all together. Were only looking at value and moderate resorts bc we don't have too much money. Right now the front runner resort is one of the Port Orleans. Any comments, thoughts and suggestions?

How many per room? The biggest difference is that moderate resorts have queen beds, while value resorts have double beds. So, if you're putting 4 kids per room, you may be more comfortable in a moderate resort.

You may be well doing value, though, and put two kids per room, if your budget allows. Then you'd each get your own bed, and you'd only share a bathroom with one other person.

I've enjoyed our stays at Pop Century! It's very cute, and the food court was convenient (except some times it gets busy, but the staff is very helpful).

DH and I used to stay in the value resorts when we were in college. It was just the two of us so we didn't need a ton of space and we always spent most of our time in the parks back then. The values were a perfect fit.

When we went in college, I can tell you how many fit in a Boardwalk and POR studio. It turns out that it is the same amount of college students that can fit in a hotel room in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. If it were me, I would be looking at Pop Century though. Yes, the beds are smaller. If you can't share a bed, air mattresses work well. Couples would not have a problem fitting together in one bed. They are the same size as most beds college students have anyway.

It would be 4 of us going on this trip. Our plan was to relax and stay by the pool in the morning and early afternoon and then head to the park late afternoon and at night. Plus it's my college friends first time so I'm trying to give them the best and most afforadable experience. I want the vacation to be special for them Bc I go to WDW once or twice a year with my family.

How many per room? The biggest difference is that moderate resorts have queen beds, while value resorts have double beds. So, if you're putting 4 kids per room, you may be more comfortable in a moderate resort.

You may be well doing value, though, and put two kids per room, if your budget allows. Then you'd each get your own bed, and you'd only share a bathroom with one other person.

I've enjoyed our stays at Pop Century! It's very cute, and the food court was convenient (except some times it gets busy, but the staff is very helpful).

You can put 5 people in the Alligator Bayou (Its an additional $15 each for adults 3,4 and 5) but don't plan on sleeping on the Murphy bed thing they have, it's really small.
When we travel with our college age kids we bring an inflatable air mattress with us. It does fit in the room (barely) and during the day we stand it up against the wall.
I'm not recommending going over the occupancy limits, just suggesting a way to be more comfortable.

Are you restricted to being onsite? If not, you can get a 2BR for the price of 2-3 nights at the cheapest Disney resort. Just something to think about. But you have to factor in $20 parking or $20 RT Uber per day. You would get much better accommodations price wise than Disney could.

Are you restricted to being onsite? If not, you can get a 2BR for the price of 2-3 nights at the cheapest Disney resort. Just something to think about. But you have to factor in $20 parking or $20 RT Uber per day. You would get much better accommodations price wise than Disney could.

We're planning to def stay on site. Btw thanks everyone for all the help. Any ideas, suggestions and concerns r welcomed. Thanks again I appreciate it.

It would be 4 of us going on this trip. Our plan was to relax and stay by the pool in the morning and early afternoon and then head to the park late afternoon and at night. Plus it's my college friends first time so I'm trying to give them the best and most afforadable experience. I want the vacation to be special for them Bc I go to WDW once or twice a year with my family.
I'd probably say Port Orleans Riverside. You can put 4 adults in a room (we've done it before) and you have queen beds instead of double beds that are at the values. Port Orleans also has a nice pool and we really like the grounds. Food court at Port Orleans is one of the better one's around and is affordable. You can take a boat to Disney Springs, which has a lot of dining choices, and the bus service isn't bad. All that said, if you want 1 bed for each adult -- 2 rooms -- then I'd go with a value, perhaps Pop, since you can get 2 rooms at Pop for slightly more than 1 room at Port Orleans.

I'd make sure that your friends understand that the food at Disney is going to be pretty expensive. Even now when we go it can be surprising when we spend $20 on a burger, fries and soda.

I would personally go with Pop. I understand the idea to relax at the pool in the morning and early afternoon but when I traveled with a first timer he wanted to be at the park when it opened until the time it closed. There was so much he wanted to see and do that relaxing at the resort was not one of them. Besides that, values also have pools so it's still an option, just no slide to go down:) I have also had better experiences with the Pop busses than Port Orleans but I am sure that is just luck of the draw. If queen size vs. full size beds are a big concern then definitely go with a moderate but otherwise I would save my money and go with pop.

I would go with PORS. It is a great resort with some wonderful amenities. They have several bus stops and we have never had an issue catching a bus. The rooms are large enough with queen beds to accommodate adults easily.

On the flip side my college aged kids love it when we stay in Disney Spring hotels as well. (we stay at the Hilton, but there are others) After days at the parks they like to be able to walk to and from Disney Springs and hit up the night time entertainment.

Especially since you want to utilize the resort amenities, I would go with POR or POFQ. The resort is beautiful, the rooms are more spacious, beds comfortable, nice pools, plus you'll have access to the boat to Disney Springs which would probably be a lot of fun for you and your friends!

Look into the Swan/Dolphin. The rates there (including the resort fee; discounts like AAA are available) are sometimes in line with the mods but the location and amenities are more like the premiums. They have a great pool there. You get almost all of the same Disney perks but note that you don't get Magical Express from the airport or access to the dining plan (we never use it anyway). There is a hefty parking charge if you have a car. You can walk or boat to Epcot and HS and have direct access to the Boardwalk. For MK and AK you can uber/taxi or take the Disney bus. POFQ will give you boat access to Disney Springs if that is important to you.

I am a college kid. I suggest Port Orleans Riverside it is my favorite moderate resort. The Dolphin isn't bad either but you will have to find transportation to and from the airport.

I would do Port Orleans Riverside.

-Because you plan to spend some pool time, I would not choose a value. I'm assuming you will enjoy a hot tub, and values do not have them.
-Deluxes will likely be too expensive.

So that leaves you with moderates.
-Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach are both starting major renovations right now, so it might not be the best first impression for your friends first trip.
-Port Orleans French Quarter has only one pool which is really geared towards very young kids. Port Orleans Riverside has a main themed pool plus several quiet pools, giving you more "grown up" options.

Another thought is the Fort Wilderness Cabins. Since you plan to hang around the resort during the early part of the day, it might be nice to have the kitchen right there in your room for an easy and less expensive breakfast. There's even a private deck with a grill to make hot dogs/burgers for lunch. The pools are more simple/generic than a lot of the heavily themed pools at other resorts, but since you are all adults that might not matter as much. And you are a nice boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.

W
Another thought is the Fort Wilderness Cabins. Since you plan to hang around the resort during the early part of the day, it might be nice to have the kitchen right there in your room for an easy and less expensive breakfast. There's even a private deck with a grill to make hot dogs/burgers for lunch. The pools are more simple/generic than a lot of the heavily themed pools at other resorts, but since you are all adults that might not matter as much. And you are a nice boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.
We've never stayed at the cabins but I've always wanted to. I've heard lots of good things, although I've also head it can be a bit of a pain in the butt to get around the resort. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!