Best way to use Annual Pass Cards in park

Dayna Perrone Dyle

Earning My Ears
We have purchased annual passes. We have a trip planned for November where we are staying off property and that is when they will be activated. We get magic bands with annual passes but only after the cards are activated so we won't have them for this trip. We also have a trip planned for February where we are staying on property and we will get another set of magic bands. Part of me wants to buy bands for this trip but the other part thinks it is a waste of money since we have two sets due to us if we just wait. So I think we may try to just use our cards instead. Does anyone have a genius way to organize them so they are safe, organized and easy to use on the trip?

I think I might buy magic bands. They have so many cute designs. I don't think you can just use your AP card. But I could be wrong. For most part I park my purse in safe and just use my magic band. But I stay on property.

Well, I always use a MB, but I know that for me when it comes to making purchases, etc. and I have to take out my AP card to show I am an AP holder, I actually plan on putting it on a lanyard and just use that to cashiers. Easier than fiddling in my wallet for it.

Keep your AP card handy to claim your discounts on shopping and dining. I left mine in my bag when I ordered burgers at the American Experience at Epcot last week but the cashier took my word for it that I had an AP card and gave me the discount anyway. But you can't always count on that!

Queen Colleen

I would probably just purchase a set of MB as they really do make everything in the parks easier! Prior to them, I just kept our annual passes in my wallet and got them out for park entrance and discounts. If you're going to go that route and want them at hand, maybe look into purchasing a ticket lanyard? Disney used to sell them, I'm not sure if they still do, but you could most likely find them on Amazon and other like sites!

Keep your AP card handy to claim your discounts on shopping and dining. I left mine in my bag when I ordered burgers at the American Experience at Epcot last week but the cashier took my word for it that I had an AP card and gave me the discount anyway. But you can't always count on that!

Queen Colleen

Valid point. My grandmother often leaves her AP at home because she thinks that her AP discount will appear when she scans her band. Oh, how I wish! I've taken to carrying hers in my wallet along with mine and my daughter's. It makes it a lot easier when she insists on paying for something!

I often stay at Swan/Dolphin so have to carry around a room key as well as my AP and an ID and CC. I have one of the little card holders that adheres to the back of my phone. It holds the 3 cards and a little cash pretty well so I don't have to carry around a wallet. Your AP card will work to get you into the parks and for your FP so you don't need to purchase a MB if you don't want to.

You can buy them for $12.99 & use your AP discount. I think the next best thing is just carrying a wallet/using a laynard.

You can buy them for $12.99 & use your AP discount. I think the next best thing is just carrying a wallet/using a laynard.
It seems that I have to have my annual pass card on hand to get the discount? And I think we will not get the card until we activate it in the parks? If there is a way around this, please let me know. A discount on the magic bands might make purchasing them worth it.

Well, I always use a MB, but I know that for me when it comes to making purchases, etc. and I have to take out my AP card to show I am an AP holder, I actually plan on putting it on a lanyard and just use that to cashiers. Easier than fiddling in my wallet for it.
I was thinking about a lanyard too. Let me know how it works out.

It seems that I have to have my annual pass card on hand to get the discount? And I think we will not get the card until we activate it in the parks? If there is a way around this, please let me know. A discount on the magic bands might make purchasing them worth it.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong or if it has changed since August, but just using your MB won't get you the discount. There SHOULD be a way for them to scan your band and see you are an AP holder and apply the discount directly but they don't.

I often stay at Swan/Dolphin so have to carry around a room key as well as my AP and an ID and CC. I have one of the little card holders that adheres to the back of my phone. It holds the 3 cards and a little cash pretty well so I don't have to carry around a wallet. Your AP card will work to get you into the parks and for your FP so you don't need to purchase a MB if you don't want to.
The phone wallet thing sounds really convenient. I think I am going to look into that. And thank you for confirming that we will be able to use the AP for entrance and fast passes.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong or if it has changed since August, but just using your MB won't get you the discount. There SHOULD be a way for them to scan your band and see you are an AP holder and apply the discount directly but they don't.
There definitely should be a way to get your discount with just your MB. But then again, maybe Disney knows what they are doing with this? And it seems I won't be able to get a discount on purchasing a magic band until after I have my annual pass in hand and I think we won't get them until we activate them in the park?

I have to say as an AP holder that I really think it is nuts of Disney to not come up with a better system of getting AP holders their MB's before a second trip. I am sure some AP holders only make a single trip in a given year.

I have to say as an AP holder that I really think it is nuts of Disney to not come up with a better system of getting AP holders their MB's before a second trip. I am sure some AP holders only make a single trip in a given year.
I agree with you, it is very frustrating that we can't have our magic bands before our first trip there.

If you have your annual pass linked to your My Disney Experience, download the Disney Parks app. Sign in with your mydisneyexperience login. Under memberships and passes, check to see that you are marked as an annual passholder. I am. I have not yet activated my pass at Disney World, but I am able to get the discount that way. It is $10.39 after the discount.

ETA: it seems from the other posters that there is some confusion about this. Once you are in the park area you will need to show your annual passholder card to get a discount. But it is possible to get the discount online through the parks app when you are on or off property. Your annual passholder discount is not linked to your magic band, and you will need to show your annual passholder card to get the savings on property at physical locations.

Last edited:
I agree with you, it is very frustrating that we can't have our magic bands before our first trip there.

When we activated our passes at guest services at MK, she offered for us to pick up a band either at a store or we could wait and order it online, and it would have our names imprinted in them. We chose to just wait - and they did come quickly (within 2 weeks) - but perhaps you'll be offered the same option to just get one "off the rack" that day? You'd still have to link them but it's super easy to do, even standing on Main St.

Another thing to note - you DO have to have the card with you to use the discount and get free parking. So while the MB was good for fastpasses and admission, it doesn't do everything. In addition to the MB showing your passholder info so you can skip carrying the card around, I wish we could load a credit card and charge to it, too!

I bought a very small, slim wallet that holds a few cards and cash and throw it in my bag. If we are skipping bags, I can shove it in my pocket.

If you have your annual pass linked to your My Disney Experience, download the Disney Parks app. Sign in with your mydisneyexperience login. Under memberships and passes, check to see that you are marked as an annual passholder. I am. I have not yet activated my pass at Disney World, but I am able to get the discount that way. It is $10.39 after the discount.

ETA: it seems from the other posters that there is some confusion about this. Once you are in the park area you will need to show your annual passholder card to get a discount. But it is possible to get the discount online through the parks app when you are on or off property. Your annual passholder discount is not linked to your magic band, and you will need to show your annual passholder card to get the savings on property at physical locations.

It appears that my card is linked but it isn't automatically applying the discount. Should it be automatic or am I missing a check box or something?

When we activated our passes at guest services at MK, she offered for us to pick up a band either at a store or we could wait and order it online, and it would have our names imprinted in them. We chose to just wait - and they did come quickly (within 2 weeks) - but perhaps you'll be offered the same option to just get one "off the rack" that day? You'd still have to link them but it's super easy to do, even standing on Main St.

Another thing to note - you DO have to have the card with you to use the discount and get free parking. So while the MB was good for fastpasses and admission, it doesn't do everything. In addition to the MB showing your passholder info so you can skip carrying the card around, I wish we could load a credit card and charge to it, too!

I bought a very small, slim wallet that holds a few cards and cash and throw it in my bag. If we are skipping bags, I can shove it in my pocket.

Did pick up at the store mean to purchase them?

If we go the card route and not the MB route, I am thinking about punching a hole in the cards, putting them all on a screw on cable type key ring and then onto one of those retractable key ring holders that clip onto a belt loop. That or the phone case or possibly both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter