Best Use Year if we travel in Oct and March?

Malibelle

<font color=magenta>Malibelle<font color=darkorchi
Ok, now that we decided to go for it I have a bunch of new questions.

What does everyone recommened for an appropriate UY if we most likely will travel in one or more of the following months Oct, Nov, Dec, March, June?

I know they are offering the friends and family rate with SSR but if we didn't want that resort and just want to buy into DWL could we do that with Disney or would we have to go through a resale?

Since your trips are spread throughout the year, there really isn't any UY month that would be better than others for you. You are aware that UY only comes into play if you are cancelling a trip within 30 days of a reservation, right? Otherwise, it is simply the month that your points are "refreshed" each year.

We have two contracts...one February UY and one October UY. They both work fine for us.

I know they are offering the friends and family rate with SSR but if we didn't want that resort and just want to buy into DWL could we do that with Disney or would we have to go through a resale?

I'm assuming that DWL is the same as VWL? That's the common abbreviation used here for the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (we all skip the "Disney" part because it's assumed :) ). The answer is you can go with Disney or resale...either way. Keep in mind that with Disney, your Guide will try to talk you into SSR because of the incentive and longer contract life (extra 12 years). Those are both good reasons but if you really like VWL (as we do!) then you are wise to insist on buying there. Disney has VWL points from repurchasing contracts so they should be able to sell those to you.

You can also check out the sponsor of this board at the top of this page and see some resales for VWL.

We've bought both direct from Disney and through resale and had no problems either way.

Good luck, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new neighbor! :)

October!

With an October UY you have until March 31 to bank all of you current years points. Since you have to cancel 31 days in advance this really covers you for trips Oct. through April to cancel or adjust these trips with no penalty. It doesn't fit June but your 50% banking deadline is at the end of June. Another way I like to look at UY choice is if you know a few month in a row that you would never go to a DVC resort, pick the month after that period as your use year.

For us we like to travel in Feb. but could also see ourselves traveling in Nov., Dec, and April (school breaks for then next 14 years) BUT NEVER in the summer months of June, July and Aug ( too hot for us and too beautiful here!). An Oct. UY works great for us. It allows great flexibility in adjusting you travel plans. You can shave a day off your trip, switch from BCV to OKW (less points) and still bank the extra points.

Since your trips are spread throughout the year, there really isn't any UY month that would be better than others for you. You are aware that UY only comes into play if you are cancelling a trip within 30 days of a reservation, right? Otherwise, it is simply the month that your points are "refreshed" each year.

Granny pointed out the most important point of UY; Cancelling within 30 days of the reservation where the points go into a holding account. Something I avoid at all costs since we can't plan short notice trips, so I'll let someone else talk about that aspect if you need more detail.

We went with an Oct UY too, since I think Thanksgiving at WDW will become a family tradition! and if we have to change the ressie we have the balance of our UY to either rebook or bank the points.

our use yr is AUG and we go in Oct and May mostly. no problems at all:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter