Best time to rent a car

disneyobessed

DIS Veteran
Today is my 365 day until our trip and can book our rental car. In the past we have always used Alamo. 365 days our.. our rate today is about 331 for a week for a minivan which I think is pretty good.. picking up at car care center,dropping off at MCO. Have people found other patterns for pick up/drop off that are better.. Or when does it seem is the cheapest time to book?? Thanks.

Remember that you can cancel them at any time. I've booked our car twice already for a November trip. I've heard that as the time gets closer prices can go down. I also got an excellent tip:

Go to the KLM Airlines site, register for their frequent flier program. You can then navigate to their "partners" listing for discount codes for car rentals. I got a great one for National. I saved about $60 for the November rental over Budget.

I find the butter zone (best price) is usually between 2-6 weeks out depending on when you're traveling. I typically make a reservation as soon as I book airfare (usually 3-6 months out) and check once a week or so and then every day when it gets inside 6 weeks. Don't be tempted to book with priceline. I have beaten priceline with every WDW (and DL too) vacation for the last 10 years. I have actually re-booked a car to save a couple of bucks the day of departure once but that was several years ago. Do keep in mind that April is expensive in Orlando.

I usually book with National and I start looking the moment I know the trip is going to happen. As PP said I can always cancel and re-book as needed when a better rate comes up.

I know what I will accept for a decent rate so when I see that I book then play the rate hunt game for it to go lower!

Last year I had a rate I could live with but two days before the trip the rate dropped by almost $50.00! It was the lowest rate I had ever paid.

Happy Rate Hunting!
Peace.
Colleen

It really is a hunting game. Last year we were able to book a Ford Expedition for 8 nights for around $370 and that was with a 20% off code $20 off coupon from Alamo for 1st week in August and the mini vans we over $700. Today when I looked at the Large SUV it was $1200 and Mini vans were $331 with the coupon so I booked it... if it drops Ill rebook and when I can check orbitz I will. Let the games begin.

It really is a hunting game. Last year we were able to book a Ford Expedition for 8 nights for around $370 and that was with a 20% off code $20 off coupon from Alamo for 1st week in August and the mini vans we over $700. Today when I looked at the Large SUV it was $1200 and Mini vans were $331 with the coupon so I booked it... if it drops Ill rebook and when I can check orbitz I will. Let the games begin.

It is a game and I really enjoy it. I know some people just like to book and forget it but not me, I'm always on the hunt.

Two weeks before your trip is when you will find the best rates. That because the rental companies will release their new last minute rates. I always book the week we leave. In 2011 I paid $84 for a midsize weekly rental with Alamo. This year I paid $86 for the rental at Alamo.

Two weeks before your trip is when you will find the best rates. That because the rental companies will release their new last minute rates. I always book the week we leave. In 2011 I paid $84 for a midsize weekly rental with Alamo. This year I paid $86 for the rental at Alamo.

WOW thanks.. that is great. Do you seem to find the best deals with ALAMO? Where do you pick up and drop off? It seems Disney Car Care is a better pick up and MCO a good drop off. Please tell me if Im wrong..

WOW thanks.. that is great. Do you seem to find the best deals with ALAMO? Where do you pick up and drop off? It seems Disney Car Care is a better pick up and MCO a good drop off. Please tell me if Im wrong..

There is often a fee for a one way rental. Play around with it....you might find that it's less expensive to pick up at MCO. It really just depends on the time of year and what discounts are available.

I often get the best deal with Alamo, which is my preferred agency, but I really don't care who I rent from as long as it's in the airport and it's a known company.

If I were you I would book that van @ $331 for now. You can always cancel it without penalty. Then as you get closer see if you can find a better deal. That price is not that bad for a van....but you might do better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter