Best time to hit the Star Wars Launch Bay?

CeruleanMoon

Mouseketeer
I'm not super sold yet on character meet and greets, but if anyone were to try and convince me, it would be for Star Wars characters. :o We're not really into most of the thrill rides at HS anyway, so would it be a good idea for us to head over to the launch bay in the morning? I have Jedi sign-ups on my list first, but after that I'm not sure what to do next.

Poked around on Google but am not seeing much on Star Wars character meet timing (morning or afternoon?) Saw something about avoiding mornings for some characters (not Star wars, maybe it Mickey or princesses?) because it was near a park entrance and "everyone goes there first" but I don't think that sort of advice would apply to the launch bay.

I haven't been to HS in so long that I might as well be a first time visitor. Hard to know what to expect!

Character waits in Launch Bay usually don’t exceed 30 minutes at any point during an average day, and are often less.

We have done it twice around noon time with waits that were 15 to 20 mins and right before closing with a 5 min wait. I would not do closing if you are interested in interacting with Jawas (they are the best Star Wars interaction IMO) because they stop trading. Other than that I don’t think it matters much.

Ok, thank you. That's encouraging! I'll have to remember to bring some little doo-dads to trade with the jawas. :D

Jawas no longer appear anywhere in DHS. They left Launch Bay a few months ago.

The waits for Chewie and Kylo were posted as 10 minutes and 25 for BB-8 in the late afternoon last month.

Last week the wait for BB8, Kylo and Chewie were posted to be around 25 minutes early in the morning (around 10 - after jedi sign up and meeting Olaf). BB8 ended up being less than 5 minutes - there was one person in front of us. Kids then weren't interested in visiting Chewie so I don't know whether that timing was realistic. Later in the day when I rechecked it was a 45 minute wait.
If you're doing jedi training they'll be meeting either Kylo Ren or Darth Vadar anyway, if that makes a difference.

Jawas no longer appear anywhere in DHS. They left Launch Bay a few months ago.

The waits for Chewie and Kylo were posted as 10 minutes and 25 for BB-8 in the late afternoon last month.
I was gonna say the Jawas aren’t there anymore... which I am totally devastated about. That was just about our favorite part. Now I guess we have to wait until the lands open before we see them again. It feels so empty in there now.

I'm not super sold yet on character meet and greets, but if anyone were to try and convince me, it would be for Star Wars characters. :o We're not really into most of the thrill rides at HS anyway, so would it be a good idea for us to head over to the launch bay in the morning? I have Jedi sign-ups on my list first, but after that I'm not sure what to do next.
I LOVE the star wars meet and greets!! I get giddy like some little schoolgirl everytime we go see Chewbacca!!

I was gonna say the Jawas aren’t there anymore... which I am totally devastated about. That was just about our favorite part. Now I guess we have to wait until the lands open before we see them again. It feels so empty in there now.

Noooooooooooo!!!
:sad::sad::sad:
They were made of awesome. My kids loved them. They tried to steal things out of my backpack. How can they be gone???

The wait for Chewie yesterday at 10am was posted 20min and actual time was 40min.

We have done it twice around noon time with waits that were 15 to 20 mins and right before closing with a 5 min wait. I would not do closing if you are interested in interacting with Jawas (they are the best Star Wars interaction IMO) because they stop trading. Other than that I don’t think it matters much.

Ok, thank you. That's encouraging! I'll have to remember to bring some little doo-dads to trade with the jawas. :D

In case you missed the posts after yours, the Jawas are no longer in Launch Bay, so no trading opportunities.

IMHO, best time is shortly before the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular. Just a few nights ago, I hit Chewbacca at 7:20ish with about a 20 minute wait. Went over to Kylo Ren and walked in with no wait (no one there). Then, walked over to BB-8 with no wait (1 party already inside the room). I was back outside a few minutes before Galactic Spectacular started.

Friday night may have been a fluke. MNSSHP may also have factored in, and thinned HS. It also might not be the best strategy if solid Spectacular viewing location is a priority.

Thanks everybody! So the wait could be anywhere from 0-45 minutes, probably earlier is better, and I'm guessing a lot depends on the crowds too. I'm so disappointed to hear the Jawas are gone! :guilty: What a shame.

Every though they're just cast members dressed up, there is something special about seeing someone in a great, realistic costume! Our local Memorial Day parade had a surprise showing of Darth Vader and all the little kids ran out into the street to mob him. It was all I could do not to jump in and do the same. :o Hmmm...maybe I'm more into characters than I thought. Maybe I just need to find the right ones! I'm guessing that when it comes to visiting the Launch Bay, I may be more excited than my son. :cloud9: How long do people normally stay there to see everything?

You could always get a Chase Disney Visa Card as well and save some time but using their M&G line. You can use it as well at a spot in Epcot.

Thanks everybody! So the wait could be anywhere from 0-45 minutes, probably earlier is better, and I'm guessing a lot depends on the crowds too. I'm so disappointed to hear the Jawas are gone! :guilty: What a shame.

Every though they're just cast members dressed up, there is something special about seeing someone in a great, realistic costume! Our local Memorial Day parade had a surprise showing of Darth Vader and all the little kids ran out into the street to mob him. It was all I could do not to jump in and do the same. :o Hmmm...maybe I'm more into characters than I thought. Maybe I just need to find the right ones! I'm guessing that when it comes to visiting the Launch Bay, I may be more excited than my son. :cloud9: How long do people normally stay there to see everything?
If you want to meet all 3 character you can estimate 1 - 1 1/2 hours for them. Maybe another 30 minutes to see all the displays which are awesome too. Then theres the gift shop amd you can make customized star wars magic bands there. The disney visa lets you get another special character meet which is usually darth vader. That ends at 4 pm though fyi. Then after you ride star tours there is another gift shop at the ride exit which is even better than the one at launch bay. Sightings of Boba Fett have been going on where the Jawas used to be for the time being, and Rey has been in with BB8 from what I understand. Rumors are this is only going on until the stage is replaced. But then other say no it will stay, or be offered again in december.

If you want to meet all 3 character you can estimate 1 - 1 1/2 hours for them. Maybe another 30 minutes to see all the displays which are awesome too. Then theres the gift shop amd you can make customized star wars magic bands there. The disney visa lets you get another special character meet which is usually darth vader. That ends at 4 pm though fyi. Then after you ride star tours there is another gift shop at the ride exit which is even better than the one at launch bay. Sightings of Boba Fett have been going on where the Jawas used to be for the time being, and Rey has been in with BB8 from what I understand. Rumors are this is only going on until the stage is replaced. But then other say no it will stay, or be offered again in december.

Thanks! I've considered getting the Disney Visa just for perks like character meets. Sounds like the gift shops are almost as much part as the experience as the exhibit sections are. :p

in the evenings it can be 5 minutes

I'll keep that in mind too. If we end up staying late for any park it will be HS because of the Galactic Spectacular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter