Best Three-DEE Disney Film

YeOswaldianSociety

Mouseketeer
So, what's the best experience you've personally had with 3D and Disney films. I recently re-hooked up my Panasonic 3D TV and it got me thinking. The two that come to mind for me personally are the Tron sequel and also the Jungle Book live action film for whatever reason. What about animated features? I've seen many in 3D but none are coming to mind as far as being the best use of the technology. I've generally loved 3D as an added feature but I'm also aware that it's not for everyone.

I like 3D when it is done right, but so many movies did quick, cheap conversions and didn't film with 3D cameras or block the action for it. Of course, for animated films, you don't need the 3D cameras, but you still need to be aware of the extra spatial qualities which is why a lot of them still look flat. Avatar is obviously the gold standard in 3D film-making (though Scorcese's Hugo is also at the top). Avatar is Disney now, so let's see what the sequels bring. I agree that TRON Legacy was very well done as well and lends itself perfectly to the 3D medium. That is probably Disney's best one.

I’ll have to revisit Hugo as I have that Blu-ray but like the glasses I’ll have to find the disc! :)

Hugo was a very nice 3D film. I really love the technology, but unfortunately because of so many shoddy conversions it fell out of favor. I saw Alita Batle Angel in IMAX 3D and it was stellar as well - but James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez absolutely know how to do a 3D movie!

Last edited:

I am really highly anticipating the Avatar sequels. I know that a lot of people are down on that movie for whatever reason, but I loved it. Pandora at Animal Kingdom only furthered that love and I really want to see more from that universe. I really hope they haven't waited too long, but you know James Cameron - auteur!

Tangled is gorgeous in 3D. I find the real difference in experience with 3D movies is whether you have active or passive glasses. The active ones are so much better.

Tangled is gorgeous in 3D. I find the real difference in experience with 3D movies is whether you have active or passive glasses. The active ones are so much better.

Active is definitely better for home use. In theaters though a lot of passive tech worked very well - the Dolby 3D glasses were really good! I don't think that system was ever available on home units though.

I think I’ll check out Tangled in 3D, thanks for the suggestion. I love the Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventures series but have oddly not seen the film all the way through.

I think I’ll check out Tangled in 3D, thanks for the suggestion. I love the Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventures series but have oddly not seen the film all the way through.

Oh, the series is so good! Alan Menkin just won an emmy for one of the songs. It's amazing that they could keep up the quality in a series like that. It and Big Hero 6 The Series were great follow-ups from the movies. Speaking of, I didn't see it in 3D but I bet BH6 looked pretty good!

The songs in that series are just excellent and it's totally deserved! So, I checked out Tangled, Moana, Onward and Frozen 2 and I gotta say that each one was excellent in 3D. I still love this feature. I'll never forget watching 3D golf through ESPN's short lived 3D channel on DirecTV years ago. Golf is brilliant in this format.. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter