Best Things About Animal Kingdom?

Teleclashter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hey y'all! Back again to pick your brains yet another time. This time we're talking Animal Kingdom. What do you think are the best aspects of Animal Kingdom? Pandora? The size? The interesting dining options? Walking trails? Chester & Hester's? Let us know and we can include it in our upcoming Best & Worst show!

The calories you burn because it's all uphill :rolleyes:. But seriously, we love FOLk and Kilimanjaro Safari (never the same ride twice). We really love animals. My kids used to like to ask the cast members questions about the gorillas and we enjoy watching them.

ETA: Everest is one of our favorite rides at Disney especially at night.

The seemingly endless paths to wander around! The lush landscaping is beautiful and being able to view different forms of wildlife as you're walking along is a bonus.

The Gorilla Falls and Maharajah Jungle Trek trails are both must-dos and being able to chat with the animal experts is a nice option.

There are some nice shopping options in Harambe Village.

Surely you jest about Chester & Hester's!

The animals (both those seen on the safari and via the walking paths).
I haven't been there in a couple years (pre-Pandora), but I also liked the Tree of Life Awakenings nighttime show (not sure if they still do that?).

Tusker House is one of my favorite character dining spots on property. Both the Nemo and Lion King shows are excellent. I haven't done FOP yet but the Navi River Journey is short yet very well done.

The variety and quality of the food options.

I'm having a hard time putting into words why I like it as a park so much. I guess there is a good variety of things to do and most of those things are executed really well. There is one clear theme throughout the park that is mostly consistent and one I enjoy. I also like that there was a lot less IP in the park - it's a nice break, something different. But that's changing.

The lush landscaping and atmosphere was our favourite! So much more thought seems to have been put into the vegetation and trees planted than any of the other parks. You really notice it while walking on the trails. We knew going in that there would be animals (hence the park name), but were not prepared for just how many animals we would see - it's incredible! Our local zoo x 1000 :) Probably most unexpected was my kids' reaction to being surrounded by so many exotic birds on the trails. They were in heaven.

The immersion of each land in Animal Kingdom is consistent throughout the park more so than any other park, I feel like at any point I can do a 360 look around and not be jarred from the theme. I think that is why I like it so much. I think that because the park has a larger cohesive theme of wilderness and animals it adds to the ability to transition smoothly from area to area as opposed to transitions like Tomorrowland to Fantasyland in MK or country to country in Epcot.

If I'm going to just sit in a park and soak it in, MK is first of course, but AK is second.

It also helps that Expedition Everest is an EPIC roller coaster.

AK is hands down (IMO) the best park in the evenings. It’s almost like a switch is flipped and the entire ambience of the park changes.

The Tree of Life Awakening is one of my favourite things in all of WDW.

You can’t beat EE in the dark. It’s an entirely different experience.

And Satu’li Canteen is one of the best, if not the best, QS restaurants on property.

Last edited:
Nemo and FOTLK are both great shows! The park in the evening is simply magical!

Pandora is amazing but the fact that it's so crowded partially cancels that out. If you can catch it after a big storm clears the park out, though, you can spend some time really wandering around and checking out all of the cool stuff!

I think one of the best aspects of Animal Kingdom is the animal trails. I like to grab an adult beverage at the Dawa bar and take a leisurely stroll through the trails. They are typically not crowded (other than the underwater hippo view) and fairly quiet. The keepers who work the trail are great to talk to, I learn something new every time. Pandora at night is also one of the more stunning lands, a truly unique experience.

That there's way more to experience there than most people think when they first walk through the gates. The casual Disney visitor (and maybe even the intermediate visitor, like I was the first few times we came as a family) see this as a glorified zoo. But there's WAY more to it than that. The park is completely immersive and provides a vast variety of entertainment - thrill rides, family-friendly rides, shows, random encounters (the flying macaws in front of the tree??? Experienced that for the first time in February and it was amazing!).

But, one thing that has truly impressed me of late is the food and drink options. Most people will think of Epcot as the park that provides for the most variety given the World Showcase and people trying to "drink around the world". But I think AK is way up there, and very underrated. It's hot in AK - but nothing that a refreshing African Margarita from Dawa Bar can't cure!

Now Dinoland, I could do without. Can't even remember the last time we set foot in there....

Atmosphere for sure. AK has a ton of places to get away from the hustle and bustle, even when it’s a busy day. Makes it feel very relaxing.

Animal kingdom use to be our least favorite, but has grown on us. Probably our top 2 now. For us, AK has the best QS in Flame Tree, the best Rollercoaster in Everest, and the best ride in FOP. Although I will say they also have the most disappointing ride in Navi River Journey. Don't forget Kilimanjaro Safaris which is like a new experience ever time. It's just a great park.

Beyond what has already been mentioned (atmosphere, detail, Nomad Lounge!), I think AK has the best special tour options, in a variety of price points. I loved Wild Africa Trek but the one hour $30 Caring for Giants tour was terrific also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter