Best strategy for EE

Kelly12899

Earning My Ears
We are going to be at universal mid June and both parks will have early entry. Will be doing the 3 day park to park ticket.. our strategy for early entry is to go straight to the hogwarts express at IOA and ride that over to UO, and running straight to gringotts and riding that and then walking around diagon alley and the rest of uo, while doing vice versa the next day.. would that be a good plan or do you think we should go straight to gringotts/ forbidden journey and then ride the express? First time to universal since 2011.

go straight to gringotts/ forbidden journey and then ride the express

HE doesn't usually start running until normal park open time

alright we'll do that. Thanks so much! Didn't realize HE doesn't start running til regular opening..

Even if both parks are open? I just assumed the HE didn't run until regular times because it's usually one park or the other, not both open early.

I would still go straight to the rides, then try the HE. With both parks open, you'd be hard pressed to go all the way through King's Cross (even if it was empty) before people that started in that park got to the rides. JMO

So as I posted on another thread, as this is my first trip. With both parks having EE its not as worth it to have the park to park with EP, but at least the lines wont be as long???? is this right?

So as I posted on another thread, as this is my first trip. With both parks having EE its not as worth it to have the park to park with EP, but at least the lines wont be as long???? is this right?
Not sure I follow.

Typically, if both parks have EE, that's a busy time.

I my opinion
Park to Park
  • is worth it if you plan on park hopping.
  • It's helpful if you find one park crowded and check the app and see the other park has lower wait times.
  • It's nice if you do split days - go to one park in the AM, take a mid day break, then go to the other park at night.
  • It's great on a 3rd day after you've found some favorite rides. You can jump between parks and hit your highlights.
Express
  • Great if you don't like waiting in long lines. If it's a busy time, there will still be lines, but they will be shorter than the regular lines.
  • Great for those re-rides of your favorites (except the HP rides that don't have EP lines
Early Entry
  • Perfect opportunity to get the HP rides in with minimal waits
  • Same with Minions
  • Also gives you a lower-crowd look at the HP areas
  • Good chance to grab breakfast at the HP restaurants.

Even if both parks are open? I just assumed the HE didn't run until regular times because it's usually one park or the other, not both open early.

I would still go straight to the rides, then try the HE. With both parks open, you'd be hard pressed to go all the way through King's Cross (even if it was empty) before people that started in that park got to the rides. JMO

We were there a few years ago when both parks had EE. HE did not open until normal park hours. The Universal site confirms this:
https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/early-park-admission/index.html

Our plan was, Go to one park, do the HP rides, eat breakfast, walk the HP area a bit until HE opens then take that to the other parks and walk through the HP areas. If the lines were still low, we'd ride the HP ride.

The next day, we'd flip.

Our decision on which park to EPA was based on deciding which park we wanted to spend the bulk of the day in... then go to the opposite park for EPA.

We are going to be at universal mid June and both parks will have early entry. Will be doing the 3 day park to park ticket.. our strategy for early entry is to go straight to the hogwarts express at IOA and ride that over to UO, and running straight to gringotts and riding that and then walking around diagon alley and the rest of uo, while doing vice versa the next day.. would that be a good plan or do you think we should go straight to gringotts/ forbidden journey and then ride the express? First time to universal since 2011.

Summer vacations means crowds

With both parks having EE, Potter park sections will not be empty

You have all the onsite hotels and packaged off site hotels eligible for EE

That also a lot of peeps that could possibly be there early

If you love Potter, do one park first and take your time

Switch parks later
Use HE for the experience

You will have more to do in the other park when you switch over that day

3 park days should be fine

Do 2/3 day in first park then hop to the other

Next day, reverse and same set up with other park leading the start of the day

Last day do repeats back and forth

Hi @macraven! I know I saw this in some past thread, and I don't mean to hijack, but can you confirm something for me? We will be at Universal when only IOA has EE. We NEED to ride Gringotts. (We were skunked on our first trip due to it being down.) I recall the best strategy without US EE is to just do rope drop and head back to Diagon Alley with the great unwashed. Is that correct? Even though we could squeeze in a FJ ride if we do IOA EE instead, I heard waiting for HE can put us pretty far back in line for Gringotts. Is that true?

Even though we could squeeze in a FJ ride if we do IOA EE instead, I heard waiting for HE can put us pretty far back in line for Gringotts. Is that true?

We did exactly this in August. When you are getting off of HE and exiting Kings Cross Station, you will merge into the crowds walking from the front entrance rope drop. This puts you into the general population, but it is not a mass of humanity. And it depends on how you define "pretty far back". We like a ten minute wait in the excellent Gringotts queue. If you are first, you are wisked through too fast, IMHO.

Thanks @wookiebeck! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. I think you also helped me with a question for our first trip back in February! Heck, it might have been the same question...

Hi @macraven! I know I saw this in some past thread, and I don't mean to hijack, but can you confirm something for me? We will be at Universal when only IOA has EE. We NEED to ride Gringotts. (We were skunked on our first trip due to it being down.) I recall the best strategy without US EE is to just do rope drop and head back to Diagon Alley with the great unwashed. Is that correct? Even though we could squeeze in a FJ ride if we do IOA EE instead, I heard waiting for HE can put us pretty far back in line for Gringotts. Is that true?

Ask any question anytime to me

I have 4 sons and can multi task easily
Lol
I can jump subjects easily

I have started at ioa in EE for FJ and took HE to the studios for Potter and the main ride

Lined up at 8:30 so was at head of line to board HE but arrived at the studios about the time crowds came in to the park

All of us will have different experiences on the timing of reaching gringotts

My goal was to be ahead of the 9:00 crowd and be positioned at the front of Gringotts ride line

Most times it worked but still too many times it gave me no advantage

EE at ioa and went straight to FJ and repeated the ride
Then went to HE and waited there

Kind of a waste for me as later in the day I would return to ioa to do the rest of potterville
Of course hit crowds then

Doing the main Potter rides early will have shorter wait times

How many days will you have for the parks?

If 3, change it around and use EE
Stay with the park until noon then switch

Next day reverse the park you start with

Crowds will be noticeable around 11:30

Ioa has another big draw or two

King and hulk
That is why doing all morning at ioa will allow you to hit most of the highlights there

There will be days where rope starts can be to your advantage

For me as I go couple times a year with October stays of 2 weeks onsite,
I easily split my days up

For short stays, make two plan versions and decide while in the park would be more beneficial for you

The goal is hit Potter and everything in that section
The outdoor entertainment at the studios Potter section, has a schedule

Look over that to know the can't miss ones
Work a tentative schedule to include them
Celestial is the one i never tire of
Delightful act!!

I know many of us would tell posters to hit Potter rides the last 90 minutes of the park day as lines are much shorter

I no longer say that as during busy times, some rides go down and do not go back up until the next day

So don't wait until the last park day néar closing as you may be disappointed not catching it

If you are in a line ride before closing time when the park closes, all in the line will be allowed to stay on it and do the ride

If you have more questions, post and someone will help

This was my sleep in day since I did not get to sleep until 5 this morning

Had surgery and some nights just can't sleep
But I do read through all first page thread of all four forums once a day

I'll catch any questions directed to me then and jump in to help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!