Best sim for using mobile in USA?

peachiepie

Mouseketeer
What with Disney Genie and MDE we want to be able to use our phones on our trip to Florida next year. With Brexit and changes to the roaming terms abroad I'm confused about how best to do this? In the past I've picked up a cheap one month sim from three (I think it was three) but I think they've changed their terms for using their Sims abroad.

What is everyone else doing about using their phones in Florida? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is the parks wi-fi good enough to rely on? I seem to remember trying to use it at DL a few years ago and it was woeful. Hopefully it's been improved!

I just switched to O2. If you buy a plan with 100GB+, then they we've the cost of the add-on to use data in the USA and other non EU destinations. And it's the last major operator to not charge for EU roaming too. I bought a 150GB plan for £20 a month.
I've been a long time 3 customer, but since they now charge for roaming, they've lost my custom.

Is the parks wi-fi good enough to rely on? I seem to remember trying to use it at DL a few years ago and it was woeful. Hopefully it's been improved!
I had no problem at DL in 2019. WDW in 2018 was flaky in places, but generally okay.
When the fight for RotR boarding groups was a thing using network was apparently more reliable, but now I doubt there's much need.

Way back I bought a US SIM for trips but now I tend to use my normal one and just turn my data roaming on when I really need it.
In 2018 and 19 i put about £20 balance on my phone account and turned data on a few times to get Lyft cars, or other needs when off-site, and just accepted the extra cost of a few MB roaming. Both times I came home with most of that balance unused, so I probably only used about the cost of a coffee or two - I probably tipped the Lyft drivers more each than I paid in roaming.
Before leaving the UK I turned off my voicemail (cos accessing that will cost you) and only answered the phone for a recognised number - I told most people not to call but text as that's cheaper, or better yet e-mail.

If you are a social media addict, then of course you may feel it's worth getting a local SIM to avoid any loss of service :)

I have EE, one of the perks you get with some packages is free data, calls and texts in the US

I have EE, one of the perks you get with some packages is free data, calls and texts in the US
Is that still valid?

I previously just got a £20 sim from 3 PAYG which gave me data in the US but not sure that's still available.

Last edited:

So ive been on to EE, 3 etc today to see what PAYG sims they have and none of them offer any roaming. Even new contracts will not have the old roaming only only a paid version.

So it looks like we are back in the dark ages where you had to buy a US SIM card to use. WOW cant believe the backwards path its taken.

where you had to buy a US SIM card to use.
You don't have to. You can pay for roaming. As above this is what I do for WDW and DL/CA.
With a little care, park and hotel WiFi (and possibly other free WiFi off-site) can cover pretty much everything data-wise.
Texts aren't prohibitive.
Calls can get scary, but realistically - you're on holiday ... Who you gonna call?

You can spend £20 or £30 getting a US SIM, mess around getting it set-up before leaving home, tell those who need to know the new number (not sure how much they'll pay to call a US mobile), dick around above the Atlantic swapping (nano)SIMs - assuming you brought a poky thing to get the drawer out, etc.
Alternatively just budget £20 to £30 for roaming charges on your normal SIM.

Obviously you need to run the numbers (estimated obviously) for your particular network and contract to get an idea of how much roaming might cost, but be realistic about how much you will really use the phone on network rather than WiFi.

I have a lot of apps on my phone that use data, CCTV, Alarm and my whole house is Smart enabled generating updates of any issues. My data usage is pretty high (I know others will use more but for general usage) when away last time I used around 8GB which would cost me way too much. I think I can pay £5 a day but that's £80 a US sim is $40 will weigh it up.

I have a lot of apps on my phone that use data, CCTV, Alarm and my whole house is Smart enabled generating updates of any issues. My data usage is pretty high (I know others will use more but for general usage) when away last time I used around 8GB which would cost me way too much. I think I can pay £5 a day but that's £80 a US sim is $40 will weigh it up.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1208266

I just read this on the Dibb forum. If the link doesn’t work it’s headed ‘no more roaming fees rain’.

apps on my phone that use data, CCTV, Alarm and my whole house is Smart enabled generating updates of any issues. My data usage is pretty high
But do you need all that 24/7? You'll be on WiFi in the parks and hotel most of the time, so if you leave data roaming off as a rule then you'll be out of touch of home for maybe an hour or two each day here and there while travelling (and for a long time on the flights anyway, unless you pay for the WiFi on the plane).

Alternatively - you're on holiday 3,000 miles away, so get whoever you are leaving the house keys with to load those apps and look out for it :)

I like to use 3UK sims as you get 12GB in USA to use on data/texts/calls. Works great!!

Just order yourself a free pay as you go sim and then buy the month amount of at least 12GB. It was 10 pounds on offer this month. If you’re in Ireland, use addresspal to get the 3UK sim to your house in Ireland. After that, use a site like Recharge to buy credit for 12GB. Activate the number and put on roaming before you go. And there you go…12GB to use in USA for a month. You can buy add on credit afterward if you need to. WhatsApp and other apps recognizes your old number as your own still. So nothing gets messed up from it.

Last edited:
Do you mean PAYG? If so they don't do them anymore.

i just used it a few days ago in the USA. Just checked the website, it’s still there and working. Go Roam still working for 71 countries, including USA for 12GB. It has to be from 3UK. 3Ireland does not have it.

Unless you’re referring to the new charge they are adding on suddenly. Don’t know much about that yet but it does work if anyone is interested. Just got back from Disney for 2 weeks (dual citizen so I got in before borders opened).

i just used it a few days ago in the USA. Just checked the website, it’s still there and working. Go Roam still working for 71 countries, including USA for 12GB. It has to be from 3UK. 3Ireland does not have it.
So you bought a PAYG sim and got the usual 12GB data in the USA? which sim did you get £20?

Try searching Go Roam too and it’ll explain how your 12GB becomes valid to use in 71 countries, including USA. But they are bringing a new charge into play but it’s not going to be charged until next year, so I don’t know much about that yet. Just a possibility for some though. I’ve successfully used it over the years in the USA and places like Switzerland where data is expensive.

We bought preloaded ones on Amazon too and that worked great too.

Try searching Go Roam too and it’ll explain how your 12GB becomes valid to use in 71 countries, including USA. But they are bringing a new charge into play but it’s not going to be charged until next year, so I don’t know much about that yet. Just a possibility for some though. I’ve successfully used it over the years in the USA and places like Switzerland where data is expensive.

We bought preloaded ones on Amazon too and that worked great too.
Thanks that's great that's exactly what ive always used in the past but the 3 store near me said that it isn't available anymore I will challenge them tomorrow :)

Thanks that's great that's exactly what ive always used in the past but the 3 store near me said that it isn't available anymore I will challenge them tomorrow :)

Good luck! If they give you a hard time, could bypass them by doing it all online and their new app is really easy to use too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter