• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best resort for wheelchair user needing 48" path in room

MLC2002

Mouseketeer
Good evening, I am working with a guest needing a 48" path within the room to accommodate his wheelchair. The guest would prefer a value or moderate resort. Any suggestions? I have inquired with the guest about specific needs; I'm confused about how the guest would enter any room if he requires a 48" door opening. I appreciate any help you all can provide!

Is his wheelchair actually 48” wide? Or is It possible he needs a that wide a turning radius (like for a long/reclined chair or leg extension)? If the wheelchair is truly 48” wide he will likely have trouble accessing the parks as well as resorts. Mobility devices need to be within 36” W x 52” L to be allowed into the parks.

I’m not sure any resort doorways are 48” wide. Another guest recently took several measurements throughout a resort room and posted here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...ower-room-bus-monorail-boats-dme-etc.3749224/. I suspect WDW is pretty standard as far as accessible doorways, though moderate and deluxe resorts do have larger rooms than values (POP Century is a value resort) and therefore could be wider pathways within the room.

If you get more info, folks here are a wealth of information.

If he needs a 48 inch path, I am afraid he is not going to find any hotel rooms anywhere that meet his requirements.
As lanejudy mentioned, you may need to get more information from your client about the actual size of his wheelchair. I work in a hospital where we see a lot of bariatric patients who require larger wheelchair. I think our widest is snout 34 inches wide.

The ADA requires a 36 inch clear path, which can be as narrow as 32 inches for short distances. Doorways (including bathroom doorways) must be a minimum of 32 inches.
If at a resort with elevators, the elevator door way would be between 36 and 42 inches. 481102D9-28B5-4397-B056-17EAC66F1082.jpeg481102D9-28B5-4397-B056-17EAC66F1082.jpegC9AB03A3-D65C-4CD5-AB5A-0F862030D974.jpegEFEE2904-9093-40CD-92FB-E8B9FFF7EAF9.jpeg

For a point of reference, this is a post I wrote about our trip to POFQ (Moderate) with all of the measurements that I could take (Found out later that I missed a few - my friend @RaySharpton is *much* more detailed and thorough than I am! LOL)

Remember that even Deluxe Resorts at WDW can have smaller rooms - for example, both Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge have rooms that are the same square footage as POR/POFQ Moderate rooms.

@mamabunny thank you! I couldn’t find that on my phone last night. It shows slightly wider space between bed and dresser in the larger moderate, but doorways are similar.

@mamabunny thank you! I couldn’t find that on my phone last night. It shows slightly wider space between bed and dresser in the larger moderate, but doorways are similar.

I don't think there is a door wider than 32" at any WDW Resort hotel, is there? Maybe there are some 36" doors? (Racking my brain, can't think of one...) As you move "up" the Deluxe line from WL & AK, the rooms get bigger, so there is by default more space, but I don't think the doorways get any wider.

I don't think there is a door wider than 32" at any WDW Resort hotel, is there? Maybe there are some 36" doors? (Racking my brain, can't think of one...) As you move "up" the Deluxe line from WL & AK, the rooms get bigger, so there is by default more space, but I don't think the doorways get any wider.
Minimum of clear 32 inch wide opening is required by the ADA.
Most of the room entry doors at WDW resorts are 36 inches wide - but that’s the size of the door itself. The opening is smaller because of how the hinges hold the door. The clear width might be closer to 32 -34 inches.

Doors to bathrooms inside a room are usually no more than 32.

I’ve never seen a 48 inch wide hotel room entry door.

There is one exception that I can think of which might meet that door width request. The double doors on some of the named suites. However, I’m having a hard time understanding the need as well. I have to figure that this is either a specialty chair, or as has been said this number is for turning radius in the room. We definitely need a bit more information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter