Best Places for a Drink?

gregskellington

Mouseketeer
Apologies in advance to people who don't like that alcohol is at Disney.

I've been to WDW many times, but doing my first DL trip the first week of December. The trip is all young adults that like to have some drinks at the end of the night. We love Trader Sam's at WDW and will definitely visit there. Any other good places in Downtown Disney, DCA, or the immediate surrounding areas?

Yes Trader Sam's is the best. Glad that is on your list. In addition, I like the bar at Lamplight Lounge and the bar at the Carthay Circle - both in DCA. If the weather is nice, the Lamplight bar is lovely as the back of the bar is wide open to Paradise Pier. Really nice at sunset. Carthay Circle is good on a chilly evening when you want to sit indoors. They have a killer Manhattan that gives me LIFE after a long day of fighting crowds. Oh and I have heard the new poolside bar at the GCH is very nice, but I haven't been there yet. I plan to check it out when I visit in January.

Carthay Lounge or Restaurant. My favorites are: Pimm's punch, Pear martini, Dill Gin and Tonic,and Carthay martini with gin.

An in-park option would be awesome, so we will definitely check out Carthay one day! Thanks for the advice. Lamplight sounds like a great stop, too, since I wanted to eat there anyways. Great!

I’m not a drinker myself but when my mother comes for a visit, the merrymaking of both the noise and the crowds makes her, well, *un*-merry. By about 1:30 she begins to suffer from a gin and tonic deficiency and we stop by the DTD field hospital (i.e. the bar just off of the lobby at the Grand Californian) ;-). It’s quiet, comfortable and the drinks are reasonable. Which, at Disney, means that they’re not grossly *unreasonable* ;-).

Last edited:
There are various places in California Adventures that serve alcohol. Cozy Cone Motel has vodka lemonade, and you should check the drinks menus of places in Pacific Wharf and the various drinks and snacks carts

Napa Rose Lounge (and the full menu is available there, too); Hearthstone Lounge (GCH); Carthay Circle Lounge (DCA); Lamplight Lounge (DCA); UVA Bar (DTD) has fun people watching; the patio bar at Naples (DTD) can be fun (weather permitting).

There's always a line for alcohol in DCA in the Hollywood studios backlot area. I don't know what they serve. I just always see a line there, so I assume it's a good place to get something.

If you like Sangria, many of the quick service places in DCA serve them. The best sangria I've ever had in my life was at Hearthstone in the Grand lobby. It took a while for them to make it, but it was incredible.

For mixed drinks, I've only had them at the bars at the Hotels and at Carthay Circle.

DCA has beer and "margaritas" stands. The "margaritas" are the frozen kind and full of the artificial colors/flavors that you'd expect from an amusement park.

Our favorite spot is the inside of the bar , looking out at the water at Lamplight lounge. The bartenders are really great. Especially Tony. Watching the big Mickey wheel roll and the water gently lap is really nice. And its walk up. You can make reservations, though. We always order food at the bar , have a fee drinks and just chill out.

3 of my go-tos -
1. There is a side bar (beer and wine) at the wine country trattoria. It is shaded and nice to watch the people go by. Plus the pretzels are good.
2. I like to grab a beer at the beer cart in Pacific Wharf and then take it to a bench behind Flos where you can watch the Cars come through the finish shoot of RRSR. It is very pretty back there
3. Sangria and/or beers near Pacific Grill and sit at the patio there when they have live music. We usual let the kids go ride the coasters and jellyfish nearby and check in with us between the rides.

Oh, and above folks already mentioned - Lamplighter and Carthy Circle has good drinks as does Trader Sams for the Disney experience. And Tortilla Joes for Margaritas.

Last edited:
Our favorite spot is the inside of the bar , looking out at the water at Lamplight lounge. The bartenders are really great. Especially Tony. Watching the big Mickey wheel roll and the water gently lap is really nice. And its walk up. You can make reservations, though. We always order food at the bar , have a fee drinks and just chill out.

Thanks for this info. I'd like to sit at the LL bar this time around rather than in the restaurant. Are you saying that I don't need a reservation for this? Or if I get a reservation, can I then say I prefer to sit at the bar?

Splitsville in DTD is actually another one that I don’t think is thought of often. I had a few drinks there during my last trip, they have a bar inside and an outside seating area. It’s a pretty fun place to hang out, grab a meal or some apps and have a drink or 2... you can also bowl, if that’s something you’d want to do, lol... I plan to go again in a couple months :drinking1

We enjoyed drinks at Oga's Cantina, Carthay Circle lounge, Harthside lounge and Craftsman bar both at the GCH and we really enjoyed the Alfresco tasting terrace. But Trader Sam's is still our favorite and a must do every trip now!

Ill say this about Trader Sams enchanted tiki bar versus WDW trader Sams Grogs grotto, WDW do it so much better with the whole show like aspect. DL's tiki bar is okay outside but inside is a utter disaster between guests stealing tables ahead of people in line and the servers at times seeming totally oblivious to guests. Out of the dozen times Ive been their, I always utter "last time" but I somehow find myself giving it one more shot. I echo Carthay Circle lounge especially on a super hot day. I highly recommend mobile ordering at any of the alcohol stands that accept it, savesssss so much time. Ballast Point in downtown disney and uva bar have a plethora of nice taps too .

we sat at the bar and ordered what the bar tender recommended at LL, it was a raspberry something or other and superb. We have also enjoyed the blended margaritas at the Warf stand, it’s refreshing on a hot day and takes the edge off. Also recommend the margaritas at Tortilla Jo’s or a nice pint of dos equis.

The two I really like are Steakhouse 55 lounge and Hearthstone Lounge in GCH. Not flashy, but very good drinks and nice to just relax.

I *think* I've managed to try every place that serves alcohol in both parks, including Downtown Disney, and the hotels! Depending on what you're looking for:
Relaxing, classier atmosphere; Carthay Circle Lounge or Hearthstone Lounge (in the Grand Californian) or Alfresco Terrace (kinda hidden in California adventure).
For a Fun (yet sometimes crowded) atmosphere; Lamplight Lounge, Trader Sams, Ogas Cantina.
For a quick drink with little to no wait; Jack and Coke slushie @ Smoke Jumpers Grill, Vodka Lemonaide @ Carsland Cozy Cones.
(I dont do beer, just mixed drinks...i know there are even more place to grab a beer if that is what you're looking for). Have a great time, ...and cheers!

Do NOT and I mean DO NOT buy beer in the back corner at dca hollywood land!

Seriously first time in my life I threw beer away. The beer they serve there is very bitter nasty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter