Best place to purchase Rum in Nassau

devbak150

Earning My Ears
Would love to get some good rum to take back while in Nassau. We don't have an excursions booked and will likely get off the ship to wonder around a bit, maybe walk to a nearby beach for a bit and then back on the ship. Is there a good place to purchase some souvenirs and some rum?? This is our first time stopping in Nassau. Thanks!

I'll take a guess as to why you are not seeing much .....

for people flying to a cruise, the difficulties of carrying back a bottle of booze changes the idea of $ savings .. not to mention that the savings I saw in 1985 are not what I see today.

for people who don't need to fly .... a Total Wine and Beverage in FL has FANTASTIC prices as compared to what people in neighboring states must pay (Alabama ... this bottle cost WHAT?????), most folks today only get spun up about something they can't get in the states .....

my opinion ..... and observation .... b4 9-11 you'd see everyone come off the ship with the yellow box of 4 bottles ..... no more!

in general, the main tourist part of Nassau is all with a few blocks from the cruise terminal and I would WARN against venturing outside that area unless on an organized tour .....

frequent visitor since '78 and worked "the area" for 30 years .....

I bought a bottle at a liquor store along Bay Street on our cruise. I forget the name but it was within the main block or two near the straw market.

As far as the complaints, it's like any big city. Go have fun, buy a Kalik beer or two to have on the ship and have a good time. We loved the pirate museum and stopped at the bar at the end of it to relax and enjoy a drink. Your surrounded by tourists, have common sense, say no thank you to any vendors you don't wanna deal with any enjoy yourself.

My DH brought rum back from Nassau and it was very close to port. He got it at a duty free store on the corner of Woodes Rodgers Walk and Frederick St, next to Sharkees. The receipt says "THM Old Nassau Liquor," but I can't find anything called that in Google so I really don't know the actual name. He's thinking it just said "Duty Free Wine and Spirits" or something like that. He said that there's an entrance on each street: Woodes Rogers Walk and Frederick. He said that the actual corner was some other shop. The liquor store kinda wrapped behind it. He shopped at several places before he purchased saying that this place had the best selection and prices that he saw and it's super close to port. We actually boarded the ship after our shopping and trip to the Pirate Museum and then he left and came back with the rum and was probably gone all of 15 minutes!

The bottle he bought was Barbancourt 15 from Haiti, he says that it's a dryer style of rum, so if people want sweet they should skip. It was $31 if that helps.

My DH brought rum back from Nassau and it was very close to port. He got it at a duty free store on the corner of Woodes Rodgers Walk and Frederick St, next to Sharkees. The receipt says "THM Old Nassau Liquor," but I can't find anything called that in Google so I really don't know the actual name. He's thinking it just said "Duty Free Wine and Spirits" or something like that. He said that there's an entrance on each street: Woodes Rogers Walk and Frederick. He said that the actual corner was some other shop. The liquor store kinda wrapped behind it. He shopped at several places before he purchased saying that this place had the best selection and prices that he saw and it's super close to port.

This the exact same place that my husband bought his rum. It is the street right along the water and if you get to Senor Frogs you have gone too far :-)

The bottle he bought was Barbancourt 15 from Haiti,

my local Total Wine has it

and 8 and 4 year old as well .....

p.s. "my" means Viera Fl, not very far from port Can' and just off I-95 ....

IMHO, John Watling's Distillery is the best place to buy rum in Nassau. It is a relatively short and pleasant enough walk from the port and the distillery grounds are beautiful. We were there in early January. We took the brief tour of the distillery and sampled the various rums. Enjoy!

http://www.johnwatlings.com/

IMHO, John Watling's Distillery is the best place to buy rum in Nassau. It is a relatively short and pleasant enough walk from the port and the distillery grounds are beautiful. We were there in early January. We took the brief tour of the distillery and sampled the various rums. Enjoy!

I will second the trip to John Watlings. We did the tour and bought a bottle back from there on one of our trips. I do know they don't have anything within the shops at the port - I looked last time for a bottle and couldn't find anything. :headache:

for people flying to a cruise, the difficulties of carrying back a bottle of booze changes the idea of $ savings

I will also second the fact that it's a pain if you are going to fly as you can't pick up your liquor until debarkation morning, which means you can't use the airline check in service and leave your bags out the night before. Just something to consider if you are flying. :rolleyes:

Hope you decide to do something fun!

I will also second the fact that it's a pain if you are going to fly as you can't pick up your liquor until debarkation morning, which means you can't use the airline check in service and leave your bags out the night before. Just something to consider if you are flying. :rolleyes:

True you could not use onboard airline check-in, but you could leave your bag out and pick it up in the terminal, then pack the liquor in there.

We can't use this anyway as we typically fly Southwest and they don't participate. In other news, free baggage!! :)

Tortuga Gift Shop and Rum Cake Bakery located on Bay Street between Devaux St. and Christie Street. This home to the famous rum cake. They have different flavors of rum and rum cakes and it's short walk from dock.

Enjoy!

The bottle he bought was Barbancourt 15 from Haiti,

my local Total Wine has it

and 8 and 4 year old as well .....

p.s. "my" means Viera Fl, not very far from port Can' and just off I-95 ....

Must be amazing to live in a state without state run liquor stores. Virginia liquor selection stinks. Can't wait to get more of the rum I bought in Cayman.

If you ever wanted to try Cuban rum,Jimmys has Havana Club on sale now at give away prices.($24 for 7 yo 1 liter)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter