Best Non-park viewing for MK fireworks.

jonoma

Earning My Ears
What tips do you have for watching fireworks from outside the parks? My family and I want to go to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks on one of our non-park days. Where is the best vantage point to do so? Is there anywhere that you can see the projections on the castle from outside the park? Is the 4th floor observation area at Contemporary crowded? Is the beach at Polynesian better? I wish California Grill was an option but it is not.

What tips do you have for watching fireworks from outside the parks? My family and I want to go to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks on one of our non-park days. Where is the best vantage point to do so? Is there anywhere that you can see the projections on the castle from outside the park? Is the 4th floor observation area at Contemporary crowded? Is the beach at Polynesian better? I wish California Grill was an option but it is not.
From the "MAPS" Sticky Post at the top of this forum:

Magic Kingdom Fireworks Viewing
from Outside the Magic Kingdom

The "Happily Ever After" evening spectacular at MK
features many projections on the front facade of Cinderella Castle
in addition to the many fireworks in the show. Since those projections
will not be seen from viewing locations outside the MK park, seeing the
"full effect" of "Happily Ever After" will dictate viewing the show at least once
from a good vantage point inside MK, on Main Street, preferably in or near the Hub.

The Beach at the Polynesian Resort offers a great view
of the FIREWORKS portions of the MK Fireworks spectaculars.
However, the area with the most direct and centered MK view is now much smaller than it used to be due to the construction of the DVC on-the-water rooms.
That specific small area might be restricted to Poly guests on evenings like New Year's Eve, July 3rd and 4th, and possibly other of the most crowded of fireworks "event nights."

They do "pipe in" the audio of the shows, but most nights it is nearly inaudible on the Poly beach.

Poly-TTC-Basic-Walk-Fwx_122118_zpsubqli7yv.jpg

Here's a photo I took from the Poly Beach-

MK Fireworks (MVMCP Christmas Finale)

Poly-Beach-Firewx-Cln.jpg

Also, for a "drink and viewing" from the Poly there is Trader Sam's Grog Grotto (HERE.)

-----------------------------

More Viewing Spots-

You can see the MK fireworks shows very well from the TTC
(and they pipe-in clear, crisp audio from the show.)
Note: you are not allowed to stand directly in the actual Ferry loading area.

TTC-Fwx-CU_011517_zpskraqffi4.jpg

You can see the MK fireworks from the boat-dock and an outside
observation deck near Narcoossee's restaurant at the Grand Floridian.
There is rumored to be an upcoming paid "Wishes Dessert Party" that will be held on that boat dock.
The Narcoossee's Deck shown is now reserved only for guests of the restaurant.

Good viewing from the Gasparilla Grill Patio overlooking the Marina.
The sound of the show is piped into these areas too.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

----------------------------
At the Contemporary, there is viewing on an outdoor
observation area on the 4th floor.
The California Grill observation areas are reserved for patrons that day of the Grill or Bar.
(The audio of the fireworks show is also piped in to these locations.)

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck_112312.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro)
is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.
But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.
Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area.

MK-Bay-Fwx-Views_012913_zps8f10ed57.jpg

Below are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas-Resorts-Fwx_012913_zps84390ca0.jpg

----------------------------------

As for viewing the MK fireworks from INSIDE the dining area of restaurants (you need ADRs, and most are usually busy during the shows)...
you can see (and hear) them at California Grill at Contemporary,
'Ohana at the Poly, at Trader Sam's and Trader Sam's outdoor patio at the Poly, Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian,
and (if you have access there) the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower.

Last edited:
Is the 4th floor observation area at Contemporary crowded?

We stayed at the Contemporary recently and watched the fireworks from that 4th floor area. It was never very crowded, but from day to day probably hard to say how many might be there. I think many people don't realize it is there since it is at the far end of the resort and you have to walk past one of the gift shops to get to the observation area. It is open to the public, so you don't need to be eating at a specific restaurant to watch from there.

In my experience, ADR's at any of the above listed dining locations doesn't guarantee you'll have a great view of the fireworks during the show, especially if you are envisioning a great view your table. At any of them, everyone wants to see the show. Often we have been seated well past our ADR time.

'Ohana- some tables have no view at all, and only a few seat offer what I'd call a decent view. the windows have slats that obstruct the view a bit. you'll hear them and see part of them, but might have to stand, which people do, but it can b a little awkward standing next to a stranger's tale while they are trying to eat.

Cali Grill - probablythe best bet, especially because you can access the outdoor area.

Narcoosee's also has decent viewing, but people standing on the patio may well stand in front of your view. Most tables have some view, but not all have a great view.

Often when we have watched the fireworks from Poly or any of the other listed places, we couldn't hear the show because people around us were talking too loudly. You can usually see the fireworks, but just generally don't expect to see the projections or hear the audio.

Once, we happened to be on a shuttle boat at just the right time.You can't expect that will work, but if it does, it is really neat.

I like California Grill or top of Bay Lake Towers. But you are off to the side. The TTC gives you a straighter view.

Definitely the TTC. We've done this a few times, the sound is good, and only a few other people were there.

We will be pushing past DD's bedtime for fireworks and are considering various options. We will need to return to ASMo as quickly as possible if we watch fireworks. Would we be better off driving to TTC and watching from there, or should we just hang back from the hub in MK and make a beeline for buses as soon as the fireworks end?
Bonus question: Are there bugs by the lake at TTC? I'm thinking we might drive over with PJs already on and would like to avoid bug spray.

We've watched them from the Ferry docks at both MK and the TTC, as well as on the Ferry. I personally prefer watching them from the TTC, since you are further away and I get a better view.

We will be pushing past DD's bedtime for fireworks and are considering various options. We will need to return to ASMo as quickly as possible if we watch fireworks. Would we be better off driving to TTC and watching from there, or should we just hang back from the hub in MK and make a beeline for buses as soon as the fireworks end?
Bonus question: Are there bugs by the lake at TTC? I'm thinking we might drive over with PJs already on and would like to avoid bug spray.
Honestly i'd avoid watching from MK if i were you. There will still be a lot of people either already at the bus stops or heading there around the same time as you. So it might be a pain in the bottom. I'd watch from TTC ferry dock area. Its a very nice view and hardly anyone was there. Just a couple of us. They do have music piped in. This way you can hop in your car quickly and head on back to your resort. Its much faster, i think, than taking the bus.

I didnt think it was very buggy at all at the TTC. I dont think bug spray is necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter