Best Hotel rewards credit card???

busy mom

Mouseketeer
First; I searched through the "I love credit cards" post for my answer and it appears to be more for general discussion, so adding this post for some suggestions..

We have the IGH card, which we love. But I'm looking for another card that will help us to gain a couple free reward nights next year. Hotel brand does not matter.

Any recommendations?????

well that thread is where you're going to find more detailed answers-I suggest you ask this question in there..... I personally am going for Hilton points at the moment, love my IHG cards,but would like a Hyatt cc.

Probably best to look on the hotel websites to see what specials they currently offer. Usually these types of cards are only of value if you use them enough or stay at a hotel enough times to accumulate the points needed for the promotional item. If you don't use it enough, chances are the points will expire before you have gathered the credits needed.

It’s not that easy, there is no “best hotel credit card”. The best card for you could be the absolute worst card for me. You need to evaluate what hotel chain you would get the most use out of and from there look at the cc offerings. If you don’t like what you’re seeing, what’s an alternative hotel chain you would use often? Look at their credit cards and evaluate them for your use.

When looking at cc you need to evaluate:
-what would you get with the bonus?
-what category of spending and how much do you estimate you would spend? this will help you estimate how much in rewards you can expect from the card
-will you make enough off the rewards to offset any annual fee?

First; I searched through the "I love credit cards" post for my answer and it appears to be more for general discussion, so adding this post for some suggestions..

We have the IGH card, which we love. But I'm looking for another card that will help us to gain a couple free reward nights next year. Hotel brand does not matter.

Any recommendations?????

For hotels it really does depend on where/when you want to use the nights. In my house we have IHG, Marriott/SPG, and Hilton. We use them in different places as some cities have an abundance of Marriott but maybe not much Hilton and others may have IHG and no Marriott, etc etc. Likewise, you could get one of the Hilton cards with the 100,000 point sign up bonus and if you are looking in a high points area that could only be 1-2 nights. But in the same city a 100,000 Marriott points could get you 3-4 nights. (as an example)

IHG and Marriott/SPG give free anniversary nights for their cards, but, as you know, you're paying an annual fee for that so if you keep the card that's really just a discounted night. Hilton give a free night on their top tier card, I think, but that's a $450 AF. I'm not sure if Hyatt gives nights as a bonus anymore. I think Wyndham and Choice are just points. Occasionally you'll see sign up offers of free night certificates but I think usually it's a better deal to find a high points offer as the certs can be restricted.

An alternative to a hotel CC is a general rewards card that can transfer points to the hotels. Sometimes if you're not brand loyal it's easier to rack up general points and then be able to use them for the hotel you need at that time. Maybe this year there's a Hyatt you want to stay at but next year it's a Marriott. If you have or get a Chase UR card that could transfer to partners, you could use your UR points for either chain. Just another thought. But I'd look at where you might possibly use those reward nights first to get an idea of which card may be best since most come with an annual fee. I'd hate to pay $95 for a Marriott card and then find out the $0 Hilton card would have worked just as well.

Well I have the SPG Biz Amex I've had for YEARS now. That one had a nice chunk of points on it but I used most of them up last year taking the kidlets on 2 vacas. I grabbed the IHG card when the bonus was 100k back in Sept/Oct. I got the Hilton Ascend before it changed over. So I'm grandfathered and get the free night a year. I was going to go for the Hilton biz until someone in the I Love CC started talking about the trip dip you could get with the Aspire. So I swallowed the pain of the $450 AF and I'm planning on triple dipping it. The $4k spend won't be hard for me to hit, and the 150k HH points will be nice to add in (plus I'll get a free night with the Aspire and a free night from my Ascend). I've not gone after Hyatt. 1- because I can't do anymore Chase cards for awhile (I'm outside of the 5/24 needed to be approved) and we really don't have Hyatts where I've been using my points. I know many LOVE it though.

Hilton has some nice bonuses right now :)

Other than the signup bonuses, it is somewhat difficult to really get enough points for free rooms,,unless you really travel and stay at the same hotels often. We travel almost monthly and have given on on hotel programs. The IGH card is pretty good in that you get a free night each year, along with a nice sign up bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter