Best First Coaster for 9 year old?

jcthompson2

Earning My Ears
We're heading out for a big Christmas surprise to WDW, and it will be my 9 yr old son's first time at Disney. Any suggestions as to his first coaster? We'll probably be hitting MK the first day, and I'm thinking Space Mountain would be too much, but what are the big differences between Big Thunder and the Mine Train? I've never ridden the Mine Train. He's pretty adventurous, recently did the centrifuge at the Space and Rocket Center twice.

So fun to get to ride all three for the first time! Try mine train first. It’s the smoothest of the MK coasters and there is a slower section in the middle with the dwarves singing. Big thunder has more curves and is a jerkier, longer ride. Space mountain is the jerkiest of the bunch, dark, and he’d be in front of you or behind you in the ride vehicle so I’d save that for last.
I love 7DMT and Big Thunder. They are must-dos every visit. I’ve started to skip space mountain sometimes though. It’s a classic and a rite of passage but it is a rough ride.

If he's adventurous and likes thrill rides, I think starting with BTMRR isn't a bad idea. It's longer and faster than 7DMT and has more curves. There are no big drops. 7DMT is fun, too, but it's much shorter than BTMRR. It also doesn't have big drops. I would save Space Mountain for last if he is up for it - it's quite jerky.

The Barnstormer is pretty small, too. That was our daughters’ first roller coaster. It also has more of a littler kid theming. But Mine Train is a a great choice.

Our 7 year-old loved Big Thunder. That’s her favorite ride.

BTM was my first coaster experience, also at age 9. I loved it. Either it or 7DMT would be perfect- 7DMT might have an edge because I found it to be “smoother” because the motion is much more controlled. BTM can rattle your teeth a bit!

I know you said too much, but my sons first was space mountain. I think its cause he couldnt see it to be afraid. He was 5.... after one time he wanted to go again. They also really like the mine train , thats the one ride he asked to go on again and again.

Our 8 year old was very afraid of roller coasters (loved them as a 2 year old...)

We started with Barnstormer, on the basis that the entire ride is something less than 30 seconds. That was a hit, so we tried BTMRR. That went over well, so we did Mine Train. Ran out of time for Space Mountain, but that's a priority for our next trip.

I like to go with the FP for 7DMT, if you can get it for the first ride. It's more of a logistical thing for me. BTMR is further back and you pass a lot of "stuff" to get to it and then may open your self up to more crisscrossing in the park. It all kind of depends on what FP you can get for when and how you want to structure the rest of your day, versus deciding between the two coasters. Neither one of them fit into my category of huge scary roller coasters.

I like to go with the FP for 7DMT, if you can get it for the first ride. It's more of a logistical thing for me. BTMR is further back and you pass a lot of "stuff" to get to it and then may open your self up to more crisscrossing in the park. It all kind of depends on what FP you can get for when and how you want to structure the rest of your day, versus deciding between the two coasters. Neither one of them fit into my category of huge scary roller coasters.
That's kind of what I'm thinking at this point too. We'll probably get to the park late afternoon on arrival day, and I'll try to get a FP for 7DMT maybe for 4 or 5pm.

7DMT is a good one to start with. My triplets rode both 7DMT and Big Thunder around 7 and enjoyed both of them.

My kids haven't been interested in Space Mountain, and honestly, it's so gimped with all trim brakes now I don't particularly find it any fun to ride myself. I hope sometime after Tron opens they finally shut down Space Mountain to give it the complete track rebuild that it badly needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter