Best electrolyte powder for a summer visit?

PDXmouse

Mouseketeer
We will be in Disney World late June, early July. We have NEVER been to Orlando in the summer. (We used to pull our kids out of school in January/February to go to FL but they've gotten too old to do that anymore.)

I've read all the tips about summer touring and several things show up over and over... but sunscreen and staying hydrated probably top the list.

I'm looking on Amazon to preorder some electrolyte powder hydration packets and there are a zillion options. Can anyone recommend a brand that tastes ok and ideally won't break the bank? We've never used these before, but we live in a milder weather area.

(I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so mods feel free to move it.)

Liquid IV is a bit pricier than the other options but I like the ingredients better so I went with that. A lot of them have added carbs and artificial sweeteners that you need to watch out for. I got ours from Costco though since they had it cheaper than Amazon for more of it.

We just drink water.

Some people can get away with that depending on how much they sweat but you lose a lot of salts and electrolytes in summer heat down there and water alone won't cut it to prevent heat sickness. Mixing in sports drinks or using hydration powders in water can help a lot.

If you aren't sensitive to sucralose or sweetners like that, Liquid IV is pretty good. I didn't read the ingredients before trying one, got a terrible migraine (sucralose is a trigger), so my daughter is finishing off the box of packets.

We like Nuun. Mild flavours, no artificial aftertaste, and a little fizz. You can also get ones with caffeine which are really nice when you need a pick-me-up but it's too hot for coffee. ETA: they're tablets, not powder.

We go every August and yes it's hot (sometimes very hot) but water and a/c will work wonders. Unless you have some other reason for needing electrolyte replenishment, water and fluids should do you well. Cooling off in shops or on rides is great for relief and water is plentiful :)

We go every August and yes it's hot (sometimes very hot) but water and a/c will work wonders. Unless you have some other reason for needing electrolyte replenishment, water and fluids should do you well. Cooling off in shops or on rides is great for relief and water is plentiful :)
I will say, one good reason to add something/anything is that the water tastes/smells terrible 😉

I will say, one good reason to add something/anything is that the water tastes/smells terrible 😉
It's funny but it has never bothered us at all. I see this comment a lot but MK water (or Disney tap water generally) has never fazed me. Maybe because it's ice water when you ask for water at a QS counter. Fountain water isn't the greatest, but I find that to be true just about anywhere.

The problem with this line of thinking is that heat quite often sneaks up on you and by the time you're feeling its effects, water and a/c alone won't do anything but get you to a baseline of not passing out. Literally just happened to my best friend last Friday when we went to a local outdoor food festival on our lunch break, and the real feel was "only" 92F here that day. I gave her some of my Powerade. The way people generally eat and drink in the parks a lot of the time really doesn't help either, and I include myself in that. Also consider that people often think "fluids" means soda, iced coffee, sugar bomb specialty drinks (looking at you Nightblossom and LeFou's Brew) and wine slushies.

More than once during my July/August trips to the parks I've given liquid IV equivalents to people in shops because they thought they would be fine snatching a/c in there and just drinking water all day. You have to know your body, and a lot of people don't know how they'll function in FL summer heat walking miles in the parks every day. For people who are used to it, sure just drink water. For everyone else it's better to be safe than sorry. June isn't as bad as August but it can still get satan's armpit in spots esp. in AK and Epcot. FWIW I've been going to FL in August since I was 2 and I still make sure I drink plenty of electrolyte drinks in addition to regular water.

The problem with this line of thinking is that heat quite often sneaks up on you and by the time you're feeling its effects, water and a/c alone won't do anything but get you to a baseline of not passing out. Literally just happened to my best friend last Friday when we went to a local outdoor food festival on our lunch break, and the real feel was "only" 92F here that day. I gave her some of my Powerade. The way people generally eat and drink in the parks a lot of the time really doesn't help either, and I include myself in that. Also consider that people often think "fluids" means soda, iced coffee, sugar bomb specialty drinks (looking at you Nightblossom and LeFou's Brew) and wine slushies.

More than once during my July/August trips to the parks I've given liquid IV equivalents to people in shops because they thought they would be fine snatching a/c in there and just drinking water all day. You have to know your body, and a lot of people don't know how they'll function in FL summer heat walking miles in the parks every day. For people who are used to it, sure just drink water. For everyone else it's better to be safe than sorry. June isn't as bad as August but it can still get satan's armpit in spots esp. in AK and Epcot. FWIW I've been going to FL in August since I was 2 and I still make sure I drink plenty of electrolyte drinks in addition to regular water.
I guess we're all different. We've been going every summer since WDW opened as well and never had any issues that water and AC couldn't solve. But, the key is I suppose, know your own needs (and you family members).

We will be in Disney World late June, early July. We have NEVER been to Orlando in the summer. (We used to pull our kids out of school in January/February to go to FL but they've gotten too old to do that anymore.)

I've read all the tips about summer touring and several things show up over and over... but sunscreen and staying hydrated probably top the list.

I'm looking on Amazon to preorder some electrolyte powder hydration packets and there are a zillion options. Can anyone recommend a brand that tastes ok and ideally won't break the bank? We've never used these before, but we live in a milder weather area.

That’s potentially playing with fire. I’d stick with Gatorade if you’re that concerned about it.

Many of these things aren’t regulated and could be dangerous to your health.

I'm with PalmettoPath I have been going to Disney during the summer for probably the last 20 years(I lived in FL for a few years) and have never had anything other than water. Except for the last couple of years we generally were people that left at 7am and didn't get back to our room until after part closes and I can't remember ever having an issue even when we had toddlers in tow. We do generally take it slow and are not in a rush to get anywhere. We take breaks either in A/C or in the shade.

I would highly suggest a Brita filtered water bottle because the water is generally revulsive in Florida. You can fill up anywhere you want and always have filtered water with you. It does a really good job of making the water palatable.
Everyone would usually prefer ice water but you can't be overly picky when it's hot just drink something.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy or get supplements or Gatorade, I'm sure they work great but it's just an added expense the really isn't necessary IMO.

It's funny but it has never bothered us at all. I see this comment a lot but MK water (or Disney tap water generally) has never fazed me. Maybe because it's ice water when you ask for water at a QS counter. Fountain water isn't the greatest, but I find that to be true just about anywhere.
The QS water is filtered through the coke machine. That’s why it doesn’t taste as bad.

Liquid IV is a bit pricier than the other options but I like the ingredients better so I went with that. A lot of them have added carbs and artificial sweeteners that you need to watch out for. I got ours from Costco though since they had it cheaper than Amazon for more of it.

I also use Liquid IV, mostly because I can get it from Costco.
Another vote for Liquid IV, I even use it while running. I get it at Costco too.

I just found one that is so good and uses Stevia instead of cane sugar (liquid IV has cane sugar). The brand is Ultima Replenisher. Love the raspberry and strawberry kiwi flavor!

I use the Propel water packets. I buy them from Amazon. The flavors are pretty mild, and I use them for theme park days and also in normal life after I run. As a fellow Oregonian, I cannot do the Florida heat on water alone and definitely recommend something. The Propel flavor isn't super strong but it's strong enough to cover up less-than-ideal Florida water flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter