Best dining plan for non-social couple.

westjones

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are not the outgoing type. We are pretty quiet people. And so in the past we have sailed with our two daughters who will be in college now and won't be joining us next year. But with them we could request a table just for 4 and that worked out well. But now it will be just my husband and I, so we realize we will have to share a table with strangers.

How do they usually match you up? Would they put us with a family with younger children, or just other adults. Is there any hope of getting a table just for 2? Is that possible? I know on the Wonder and Magic it didn't seem possible, but maybe on the Dream it is.

And what is Cabana's like? If we go there can we get a table to ourselves? We have never used the alternate dining options, but if we could get a table just for two we might try it.

Any suggestions/ideas/comments? Thanks!

My husband and I are not the outgoing type. We are pretty quiet people. And so in the past we have sailed with our two daughters who will be in college now and won't be joining us next year. But with them we could request a table just for 4 and that worked out well. But now it will be just my husband and I, so we realize we will have to share a table with strangers.

How do they usually match you up? Would they put us with a family with younger children, or just other adults. Is there any hope of getting a table just for 2? Is that possible? I know on the Wonder and Magic it didn't seem possible, but maybe on the Dream it is.

And what is Cabana's like? If we go there can we get a table to ourselves? We have never used the alternate dining options, but if we could get a table just for two we might try it.

On 4 of our 5 cruises we were seated with others. Just DH & I, and everytime we were seated with other couples in our age group.

You can request to be seated by yourself, just call DCL and have the request placed on your reservation.

Cabanas, for dinner, is a sit down table service. I believe you can be seated by yourselves there.

But then you would be missing the whole rotational dining experience. JMO

:cutie:

On 4 of our 5 cruises we were seated with others. Just DH & I, and everytime we were seated with other couples in our age group.

You can request to be seated by yourself, just call DCL and have the request placed on your reservation.

Cabanas, for dinner, is a sit down table service. I believe you can be seated by yourselves there.

But then you would be missing the whole rotational dining experience. JMO

:cutie:

Thanks....good to know at Cabanas we could sit alone if we wanted to. And we have gone on 12 Disney Cruises...loved every one and always loved the dining room, so we have had the experience.

So I guess I will see what happens when we request a table alone, and if it doesn't work out, we can go to Cabanas. :)

DH and I are a bit non-social too. On the 5 DCL cruises we have taken, we have only been seated with other couples on one--we were at a table of 8 with 3 other couples. On all our other cruises, we have been seated alone at a table for 4.

Even if you wind up at a table with other people in the MDRs, many will have dinner reservations at Palo and/or Remy, so there is often a less than full table. I really wouldn't stress over it.

DH and I aren't exactly anti-social. We just don't like the pressure of forging conversations with strangers. Plus we never get to eat together so dinner on cruises is our alone time. My point is, we've always requested a table for two and always received it. Your chances are better if you have late seating. There are always a few 2-person tables around us. So you may be close to other couples, but you are not seated together.

Best chance of getting a table for 2 is the late seating. Also, Palo/Remy you can get table(s) by yourself.

On our last cruise, we asked (for the first time) if it were possible to be at a table for 2 (for the same reasons as posted above). We had late seating. We were told that they would try to accommodate us, though they could not "promise" anything...

Turns out we ended up with our own table (yay!). In Royal Court, we were seated in the "outer rings" (nearby the mosaic walls) and we noticed at least 11 other tables of couples seated by themselves nearby our table.

So clearly this is not an "out of bounds" request.

Fingers crossed that you may get it!! :thumbsup2

Our first cruise, we, an older couple, were seated with a young family....not a good match in many ways. The last 2 cruises (SPring Break....packed ships) we requested, and received our own table at main dining. It is quite possible.

Thanks so much! Now at least I feel I have a chance, and if it doesn't work out then Cabanas would work.

We have early dining, and maybe if we don't have a table alone when we board we can offer to switch to later and get one to ourselves. I prefer early, but a table alone would be worth switching.

We had early dining on the Fantasy in May. We requested and received a table for just us two. Loved it. It was by far the most relaxing dining experience we've had on a Disney cruise.

I did not know you could request a table for two. I understand it is not guaranteed, but we will try that! Thanks for that hint!

Call DCL & have them put a request for a table for just the two of you on your reservation. My DH & I do this request every time we sail alone & only one time it was not granted, but DCL did the best they could and seated us @ the table that the DVC reps were seated at as well. This worked great for us b/c the DVC reps were busy most nights, so we only actually dined w/ them once & we liked it just fine b/c they talked to us about DVC (no pressure selling though; just talk) & about working for Disney, etc. It was nice.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 & Happy sailing! :sail:

First, request a table for just the two of you. Then go to "dining changes" after boarding to see if you got it and if not, whether it can be arranged at that time. Late seating on a not full cruise usually works.

As others had stated just asks for your own table. FYI - On my past four Disney cruises I requested my own table and got it each time. I was even on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy and worried the ship might be too crowded but I still had my own table.

Thanks everyone! Currently our reservation is for 4 and I did request a table just for 4. But our twin DDs are in college and they are now thinking they won't want to join us, which is fine, we would love to sail as just a couple. But I hesitate to drop them just yet since the cruise is in Dec 2013 and they might change their minds. But once we are sure (I will make them decide next summer) I will ask to keep the request for table just for the two of us and will check as soon as we board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter