Best Day for Universal Studios?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We're looking at coming to LA/Disneyland the last week in August. Before Disney we are going to spend a few days in LA area and would like to visit Universal Studios for one of those days.

Haven't booked flights yet, but with current plan our Universal Studios day would be either
  • Fri Aug 25 (only if we arrive the day before)
  • Sat Aug 26
  • Sun Aug 27
  • Mon Aug 28
So crowdwise, which is the best? (We are saving mid week for our Disney days). My son loves Harry Potter so we'd want to spend some time in that area, which I imagine gets quite crowded.

I would opt for the Monday, August 28th, many (but not all) students will be back in school, and locals tend to visit more on weekends.

Ah ok...good to know about the Monday.

What is the second choice? I should have mentioned that the Monday is the least day preferred logistically since it will be back to back with our Disney days and would be nice to spread those two things out.

Second would be the Friday, but more students will be on break than the Monday.

And weekends are always busy, just like at Disneyland.

Since Monday is your least day preferred and Friday is only an option if you arrive the
day before that leaves Saturday or Sunday. Of those two day Sunday would be best.

Thanks for the responded. Although I initially listed it, Monday is also a not-preferred day since we will be switching hotels that day (from LA to Anaheim) so our time at Universal would be minimised.

I guess our order of preference is
  • Friday (assuming we arrive on Thursday and can get organised for our first full day to head to Universal)
  • Sunday
  • Saturday
  • Monday
Which I guess isn't ideal since Monday sounds like it is the best crowd-wise

In that case Sunday would be best.

Crowd-wise you are correct; Monday is the best day to go. Saturday is the busiest.

If Sunday is your best day, you can make it work by arriving early (get early entry for HP) and consider budgeting for an upgrade to front of the line if the day ends up being slammed busy. I can say, we did USH at the end of last summer and went the Wednesday before Labor day in the hopes that many people would be back in school and the crowds light - it worked! The rides were all walk on. Forbidden Journey actually had the exit open to the boarding area and we just got off and right back on again until I was too sick to continue :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter