Best Counter Service when it's busy

TheChapman6

DIS Veteran
I wondering what the best choices are for counter service when it's busy that have a shorter wait. I'm gonna wait for a less busy day to go to the Little Red Wagon as I'm sure the wait is longer on a busy day. When the parks are super crowded does it make more sense to eat at a less busy counter service or make reservations for Table service? Will I wait longer for my reservation when the parks are busy?

If you really want a Red Wagon Corn Dog....
Just go to the Stage Door Cafe in FrontierLand behind at the Golden Horseshoe.
Much shorter lines (4) not one, and faster service.
Same Corn Dog.

If you really want a Red Wagon Corn Dog....
Just go to the Stage Door Cafe in FrontierLand behind at the Golden Horseshoe.
Much shorter lines (4) not one, and faster service.
Same Corn Dog.

We will be there for 4 days and touring plans lists them as 8,3,3,4 So I'm thinking we will do corndogs another day. We are coming on a sunday so we can see the fireworks and such but I'm wondering what the best plans are for lunch and dinner?

I have to agree on Stage Door. I feel like I blinked and our food was there.

Well, this is at DCA not DL, but the least crowded counter service is Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian, by their pool. It's the "snack bar" for the hotel, but serves full meals. You have to exit DCA over by Grizzly River Run to get to it. It's quiet, air conditioned, never crowded, and the food is delicious and semi reasonably priced for Disney. ;) We are locals and it's our go to, especially when it's crowded. There are nice restrooms right next to it as well.

Hungry bear has usually not been crowded when we go. And I really like the fried green tomato sandwich

alex881 said:
Hungry bear has usually not been crowded when we go. And I really like the fried green tomato sandwich

I have to second this... we always could find a seat (this was in Aug and quite busy at the parks) and the fried green tomato sandwich is awesome!!!

Sent from my DROID4 using DISBoards

I would just say eat meals at times where others aren't eating. We were there Jan 2-4 (during winter break and holiday season) and the longest line we waited in was for Starbucks in DCA. We just tried to eat early or late lunches and dinners, with snacks at random times in between!

Hungry Bear was pretty empty at 7:30 pm on the Saturday we were there.
Jolly Holiday was empty at 9 am on Thursday
Corn Dog Castle in DCA was empty at 4 pm on Saturday, but packed at 1:30 on Friday
Pacific Wharf (we had the 3 counter service options there) had a 10-15 min line each time we went, mostly for lunch

Well, this is at DCA not DL, but the least crowded counter service is Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian, by their pool. It's the "snack bar" for the hotel, but serves full meals. You have to exit DCA over by Grizzly River Run to get to it. It's quiet, air conditioned, never crowded, and the food is delicious and semi reasonably priced for Disney. ;) We are locals and it's our go to, especially when it's crowded. There are nice restrooms right next to it as well.

It can be non-crowded. However on one crazy crowded day the wait for food was one hour. I still remember that as not so fun...

Thanks for the suggestions

Stage Door
Hungry bear
White water snacks GC

We will try to eat at less busy times, we are planning to get there at 1 and have a late lunch, then snack the afternoon away

What about reservations? Do you find they take longer to seat you when the park is busy or does the priority seating get you in quickly?

It's a dicey question in a way because it depends on where you are when you decide to eat/realize you're hungry. When it's crowded, you won't really want to trudge across the park, or necessarily be able to do so easily. That said, we head to Red Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland and Hungry Bear in Critter Country. Mostly because seating is really plentiful and comfortable in both places, which makes a big difference on a crowded day.

Troubador Tavern! My favorite, and never have had lines!

Cannot WAIT to eat there this trip - they were closed last time!!

Also - OP, my son loved the fish n chips from Stagedoor. Adult portions, yet not "too much" and the price was reasonable as well, about $7-8 I think?

Thanks for the suggestions

Stage Door
Hungry bear
White water snacks GC

We will try to eat at less busy times, we are planning to get there at 1 and have a late lunch, then snack the afternoon away

What about reservations? Do you find they take longer to seat you when the park is busy or does the priority seating get you in quickly?

For our family we prefer to have reservations and know where/when we will eat. Maybe it's bc I'm a planner, or maybe bc we have two kids and can dole out snacks knowing we have a meal in one hour. By the time we are hungry, choose a place and jump in a line it's too late.
We haven't gone during really heavy times, just med and low. I don't think we've ever waited more than a couple minutes to be seated with a reservation.
We also find being seated and waited on just more relaxing, meals are our breaks. I hate that some quick serves have different lines for different food. It makes it really hard for one adult to gather food for a family of four while the adult and children wait hungrily at a table.

Just another perspective.

It can be non-crowded. However on one crazy crowded day the wait for food was one hour. I still remember that as not so fun...

Wow, that is super surprising to me! We have eaten there many, many times over the past 5 years or so and have never had a problem. We don't go to DLR at all during the absolute most crowded times, though.

It's a dicey question in a way because it depends on where you are when you decide to eat/realize you're hungry. When it's crowded, you won't really want to trudge across the park, or necessarily be able to do so easily. That said, we head to Red Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland and Hungry Bear in Critter Country. Mostly because seating is really plentiful and comfortable in both places, which makes a big difference on a crowded day.

You are right, but I'm willing to walk a little to not stand in line or wait on food forever and sneak in one last ride:)

Red Rockett's pizza port and Hungry bear (home of the cupcake I want to try)
Decisions, decisions :3dglasses

You are right, but I'm willing to walk a little to not stand in line or wait on food forever and sneak in one last ride:)

Red Rockett's pizza port and Hungry bear (home of the cupcake I want to try)
Decisions, decisions :3dglasses

We'll walk to food through the crowds, too. :thumbsup2

I could have mentioned, too, where we won't go when it's crowded is Rancho del Zocalo. We've been caught in a total service/staff meltdown there before on a crowded day.

We'll walk to food through the crowds, too. :thumbsup2

I could have mentioned, too, where we won't go when it's crowded is Rancho del Zocalo. We've been caught in a total service/staff meltdown there before on a crowded day.

I'm glad you said that! I keep scanning the food thread.
I'm planning to try Rancho Del Zocalo enchilada platter, Jolly Holiday for some pastries and maybe a cinnamon roll, Bengal BBQ, Pacific Warf (bread bowl) and Cafe Orleans Pomme Frites, Monte Cristo, Beniets( I made a reservation) possibly Hungry bear Fried Green tomato sand. Sweet potato fries and bumblebee cupcake? I'm a total foodie but I've decided to try the corn dogs for the sake of my kids LOL oh, and I've never had a dole whip. I have this sinking feeling my clothes aren't going to fit me after my trip.

Sunday is my worry day Mon, Tues, and Wed aren't going to be crowded:) I think I've started this crazy Disneyland bucket list to do/try everything now.

I'm glad you said that! I keep scanning the food thread. I'm planning to try Rancho Del Zocalo enchilada platter, Jolly Holiday for some pastries and maybe a cinnamon roll, Bengal BBQ, Pacific Warf (bread bowl) and Cafe Orleans Pomme Frites, Monte Cristo, Beniets( I made a reservation) possibly Hungry bear Fried Green tomato sand. Sweet potato fries and bumblebee cupcake? I'm a total foodie but I've decided to try the corn dogs for the sake of my kids LOL oh, and I've never had a dole whip. I have this sinking feeling my clothes aren't going to fit me after my trip. Sunday is my worry day Mon, Tues, and Wed aren't going to be crowded:) I think I've started this crazy Disneyland bucket list to do/try everything now.

Get the cinnamon roll!! You won't be disappointed! The beignets at the jazz kitchen are to die for too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter