Best contract length or location?

CaptDadSparrow

Mouseketeer
Is is better to buy where the contract has the most life or to buy where you want to stay most?

It seems like if you have the flexibililty to vacation durning off peak times where the 7 month window requirement wouldn't matter as much then it would be smarter to buy the longest contract life possible...unless buying into shorter contracts are cheaper.

INTERESTING THOUGHT:
hmm, that brings another thought to mind. If you think that once the kids are grown you would be less likely to vaca at disney in say 15 - 20 years, would it make sense to buy a shorter contract if it's cheaper? Like say at Vero Beach for $75 per point for 160 point min, buy. If points can be used the same at any of the DVC locations wouldn't that be a cost efective way to go?

Is is better to buy where the contract has the most life or to buy where you want to stay most?

It seems like if you have the flexibililty to vacation durning off peak times where the 7 month window requirement wouldn't matter as much then it would be smarter to buy the longest contract life possible...unless buying into shorter contracts are cheaper.

INTERESTING THOUGHT:
hmm, that brings another thought to mind. If you think that once the kids are grown you would be less likely to vaca at disney in say 15 - 20 years, would it make sense to buy a shorter contract if it's cheaper? Like say at Vero Beach for $75 per point for 160 point min, buy. If points can be used the same at any of the DVC locations wouldn't that be a cost efective way to go?

I think most everyone here will direct you to look at resale points rather than retail from Disney. More points for the dollar for sure.

Some people will say buy where you want to stay; however what if did have to stay at that home resort. Which one would you be happy with?

Regarding price, Vero at $75 direct vs. resale currently $40. Vero also has the highest MF rates. $7.4076

I think most everyone here will direct you to look at resale points rather than retail from Disney. More points for the dollar for sure.

We've decided to buy direct in cash for our first contract being 120 points. We wanted to start with the most options incase the rules on resale continue to change, then we'd try resale for add on points down the road.

INTERESTING THOUGHT:

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1) I will agree that you should look at resale before making a decision to buy.

2) Off-peak seasons in the parks tend to be markedly different than off-peak times for DVC resorts. So while you may believe that it would be easier to get the resort you want during the fall because kids have gone back to school, you will quickly find that the fall is one of the busiest times for DVC.

3) There are a couple of issues with regards to buying VB or HHI because the per-point prices tend to be cheaper than other resorts.
*The MFs are much higher
*By buying at one of the lower priced WDW resorts (OKW, SSR), you'd be guaranteed to have a room on property by booking during your home-priority window. If you buy VB or HHI, you'd have to wait until seven months out to guarantee a room at Disney.

4) Figure out how many points your family will need instead of just relying on the Disney minimum. Look at the point charts and map out how many points a typical vacation will cost you and go from there.

Good look with your research! :goodvibes

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1) I will agree that you should look at resale before making a decision to buy.

We did but decided in the end for our first contract direct was the easiest and most versitile way to start. Plus if we get years of enjoyment and half to take a 40% loss (by the number) down the road, we could live with that. We don't always care about working that hard to get the absolute very best deal possibly availible. That's can be a mind numbing process. besires, for us time is money. So it would seem to about break even in the end anyways.

2) Off-peak seasons in the parks tend to be markedly different than off-peak times for DVC resorts. So while you may believe that it would be easier to get the resort you want during the fall because kids have gone back to school, you will quickly find that the fall is one of the busiest times for DVC.

GREAT Point! I had honestly not stopped to think about that!

3) There are a couple of issues with regards to buying VB or HHI because the per-point prices tend to be cheaper than other resorts.
*The MFs are much higher (LOL there's always a catch!)
*By buying at one of the lower priced WDW resorts (OKW, SSR), you'd be guaranteed to have a room on property by booking during your home-priority window. If you buy VB or HHI, you'd have to wait until seven months out to guarantee a room at Disney.

4) Figure out how many points your family will need instead of just relying on the Disney minimum. Look at the point charts and map out how many points a typical vacation will cost you and go from there.

it's not so much about buying at the minimums. Our typical vacations are 4 night stays. Also, a basic DVC studio is still a nice step up from a standard room. So for 120 points we can stay at most resorts when we want and borrow or book points for longer trips.

Good look with your research! :goodvibes

Thanks! :)

I personally like that we have some points that will end in 2042 and would be fine if they all did. For something that requires annual MF's and that I don't have any say over other than whether I own it or sell it (or at least hope it could continue to be sold or given away) it's nice to know there is a finite end to it. If it gets to be even better than sliced bread then I might be sad it ends but I'll deal with it. ;)

Personally to me the cost of direct is just too much of a premium - it's now up to 50% so it doesn't take much work at all to search out a better deal and to save thousands of dollars. The recovery time on the difference is a lot more years and nothing important gained in the use.

I'm 62. My OKW and VWL contract will expire when I am 92. We'll sell them before that. My son won't be able to afford the annual fees.

Buy where you want to stay most. You might need that 11 month headstart in booking.

;) Saying your trips prior to DVC are for 4 days may stop once you have DVC. We love DVC and want to go more often now, want to enjoy the amenities at our home resort more, enjoy going back to the room and renting movies.

It changes the way you visit Disney. It really does...especially if you are already a Disney Freak. It is like crack!! :upsidedow

ToddyLu said:
;) Saying your trips prior to DVC are for 4 days may stop once you have DVC. We love DVC and want to go more often now, want to enjoy the amenities at our home resort more, enjoy going back to the room and renting movies.

It changes the way you visit Disney. It really does...especially if you are already a Disney Freak. It is like crack!! :upsidedow

I'm getting that very sense of things.

Some more things to consider -

Do you plan your trips more than 7 months in advance? If yes, do you usually stick to the dates you first reserved? If not, then it doesn't much matter which resort you own. At 7 months, a point is a point is a point.

Annual dues should be a consideration. In the long run, they will cost more than your initial buy-in.

Buy where you wouldn't mind staying if you couldn't get anything "better" at 7 months. Down the road, the good feeling you had from getting the best deal will quickly change to big time regret if you are stuck staying where you really do not want to be.

Remember that the best financial use of DVC points is to stay at a DVC resort. If you don't plan to regularly use points for that purpose, reconsider either the entire purchase or the amount you plan to buy. There are less expensive ways to go (including just paying cash) if you want to cruise, stay at non-DVC Disney resorts or stay at other timeshares.

Good luck with your decision.

Home resort is more important than length of contract. If past history is any indication, you will be offered the option to extend your contract for a minimal fee. I think it was 9 or so dollars a point when they extended OKW, so that is not such a concern. Home resort may be though as in our case where we really want to be at Boardwalk for food and wine fest and be able to walk to the park. It books early, so having that as home resort is essential if we want to get it. I had done the math on buying at vero and hhi and found that the added annual maintainance fee means that after 13 years approx. you would have saved money buying onsite at DW.

Drew

Home resort is more important than length of contract. If past history is any indication, you will be offered the option to extend your contract for a minimal fee. I think it was 9 or so dollars a point when they extended OKW, so that is not such a concern.

as an OKW owner, this is inaccurate. more like $25 per pt for pts you wouldn't start seeing for 35 more years. they did discount the extension to $15 per pt for a time, but most owners still thought that was ridiculous and turned them down.

due to the lack of success with the OKW extension plus legal challenges that came up in connection with that extension plus the added complexity of extending a resort like BWV which is connected at the hip to BWI (a non DVC resort), most of us would suggest not counting on an extension for other resorts (and certainly not a reasonably-priced extension.)

How much do you need to stay at the resort you want to stay at.

If DVC is about "getting to Disney" - buy a resort you wouldn't mind ending up at and see if you can switch at seven months. An inexpensive resort with a long contract life is a good value (SSR is probably the best value in terms of dues, resale price and contract length - but OKW and VAKL aren't bad)

If you really want the opportunity to book standard view at the Boardwalk, see Wishes from your balcony at BLT, or swim at SAB, and your vacation with be ruined, just ruined, if these plans don't come to fruition, then you should own the resort where your heart is.

Me....I'd rather spend 30 years not stressing to stay at a resort I know I love, than save some money and have more stress -- and more years - but like Deb, I'm old enough that those extra years don't have a lot of value to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter