best (cheapest and/or least hassle) way for mom + 5 kids to get from mco to resort?

momtotwinglesx4

DIS Veteran
My 5 kids (16, 7, 7, 4, & 1) will be flying to WDW this July. We're staying on property the entire time and will not need a rental vehicle while there.

But I'm wondering if it would be better to rent a mini-van for 1 day (each way) and just drop off/pick up at the Dolphin (we won't be staying there--I'd have to leave my dd16 with the kids at our hotel to return/pick up the van at the Dolphin) OR take some type of towncar service. A car won't be big enough though--we'd need a van or a limo. Money is definitely a factor, so I'm looking for something inexpensive, but with 5 kids, the hassle-factor must be taken into consideration too.

I do have a 2004 Orlando Entertainment book, it does have a few car rental discounts, but it seems like they're mostly for weekly rentals, if I remember correctly.

We usually drive to WDW, so this is new to me; any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sue

Get some quotes from the town car companies for the vans and limos; they may not be as expensive as you think. Let them know how many kids are travelling, and check their websites for coupons. I liked Cartier, and they had a coupon. I think with that many kids, you may want to use a service rather than rent the car just for convienence; minvan rentals aren't cheap either, even with coupons or codes.
We had a van trasport for the trip back to the airport on our last trip, and it was the same price as the towncar.

Try Tiffany Towncar. You can usually get a van for less than $100 dollars round trip w/tip. They will also make a 1/2 hour grocery stop for you if needed. There is a coupon on their website for $5 off. My family has used this service in the past and found it to be very reliable.

Forgot to mention. Most towncar companies will meet you at the baggage claim area and help with your luggage. This is an especially valuable service if you are travelling with 5 children. Try to avoid Mears. They tend to be overpriced even with a coupon.

You might be better off with having a van. Check Fl Tours and the other sites mentioned here. Personally I use Fl Tours. Most offer coupons for booking on-line.

For what you would pay Mears you could have a mini-van type vehicle pick you and the kids up, help with the luggage and do the same on the return leg of your trip. It's definately worth looking into.

Good Luck!

I second the recommendation for Tiffany Town Car. You can get a van for a very reasonable price roundtrip. They are very reliable and there is a coupon on the website (www.tiffanytowncars.com). Don't forget to request the grocery stop! princess:

Another vote for Tiffanys. We are a family of 5. Ask for a van and our favorite driver is Berkley Edwards. They even have car seats if you need them, but you must request it. The grocery stop is now only 20 minutes. Just used them in april and they were fantastic as usual, prompt and waiting at the airport and were at the swan 15 minutes earlier than my requested pick up time, just waiting for us. Fantastic service. Only once did we have a quiet driver. He was an older gentlemen. Now I make sure to book berkley far in advance.

We have always preferred to use FL Tours for our transportation. Andy is a wonderful guy who will see to it you are taken care of.

FL Tours is the official transportation company of the DIS and by using them we are supporting these boards. I know that I would be lost when it comes to my Disney planning without these boards.

Go to www.fltours.com/reservations.htm and fill out a request, you will see pricing before you ever have to submit the request for a reservation

My recent FL. Tours Review

We use Fl Rours. We have 4 kids plus the two of us and the vans are great. They even have the DVD system in them so you can watch movies. And the best part about the vans is they only pick up your group--no stopping at other resorts. Plus you can have a grocery stop if you like.
I did notice in an add of for Tiffany that it looks like they have a shorter grocery stop and you only had a choice of a couple of places. Fl Tours is a 30 minute stop--no restrictions on places.

I am going in Sept. using HappyLimo.com. They also offer a grocery stop as do most of the services and have a coupon. When i called I mentioned I saw them on Mousesavers.com and was given a discount. It is costing me $130 to AKL this is all inclusive of taxes and tips etc.

The grocer they stop as has a fax # you fax the order and they pull the product. All you have to do is pick it up. I know 15 min wouldnt be long enough for me to get my shopping done. I am going to have them pick some nice fruit for the room. I dont want to spend $2 for an apple again.
Dont for get to get bottled water its $2 at the park. I buy the water and put koolaid in a the tubs my 35mm film comes in for the kids. Then I get a cup of ice water in one of the resturants and poor into the bottle with the koolaid and shake VIOLA. I get to drink the ice as it melts.

WOW! Thanks for all of your replies! I can't imagine how I ever planned trips to WDW before I found the Dis! (Actually, yes I do...I just paid way too much and missed out on alot that I didn't know about!)

I made a reservation for a van with Transportation2Disney (Murray Hill) because they have a 30 min. grocery stop and plus I'm thinking about renting their cooler. All of the companies mentioned here sound good though.

Thanks again for your help!

Sue

plus I'm thinking about renting their cooler. All of the companies mentioned here sound good though.
We use a hard-side cooler as checked luggage. We have taped it closed with duct tape and on our last trip with it, we used luggage straps instead of tape. The resorts have ice machines which can be used to restock the ice occasionally; it doesn't require much ice each day after the initial load is cooled down. You can buy a bag of ice at the grocery stop; this is cheaper than the $45 for renting the cooler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter