best cell phone plans????

momtofour

Mouseketeer
Sometime ago, I seem to recall that someone posted a website that compared many of the available cell phone plans that are available. Does anyone remember what that was? I am shopping a plan for my 16 year old daughter and I do not feel that a prepaid plan such as Tracphone is the answer. I am so overwhelmed by all of the choices? Can anyone help?? Thanks!!!

I did a lot of research before getting a phone for my 14 year old about 6 months ago. At that time T-mobile had the best rate on a family plan. It was $50, plus $10 for each additional phone. We have 3 phones on the plan and pay $70/month plus tax and fees. We get 400 shared anytime minutes and unlimited calls after 9pm and on weekends. The best part is we get unlimited calling between ouselves and all other T-mobile customers.

ASK YOUR FRIENDS AND co-workers. Some sytems have fewer "dead spots". Voicestream (pre-T-Mobile) wasn't useable at the mall by us. Not very good for teenagers. Most cell companies have family plans with high (or even unlimited) minute allowances within the same family or even cell service.

Verizon tends to have good coverage in a lot of areas.

We were in the same boat as yourself 2 years ago when we decided to add our then-14-year-old. My husband and I were on a Verizon plan at the time, and the service seemed pretty good. However, when we decided to add a third line, Alltel was less expensive due to a pomotion of $10 additional lines. A few months later, we were able to change our plan at Alltel to one that allowed us to call from WDW to our teenage friends at home without any additional cost(it only took one bill that had a week's worth of calls to convince us to do this), so our additional lines went up to $13 each, but we gained some extra minutes to share. We are now looking to add another teenager(our 14-year-old daughter), and Cingular seems to be the best deal today, but tomorrow may be different. My sister and my husband's brother have Cingular, and both have told us there are "dead spots" in our area, but otherwise they are happy with the service. I suggest you ask other parents of teens what plan they use, and if they are happy with it. A cheap plan won't do you any good if your teen can't call you.

I think the website you're looking for is Lowermybills.com. They compare a number of things, including cell phones and phone plans. Here's how it works: You input your zip code and the recommendations come up for different plans and different companies. Most of the offers include rebates...some that pay you for buying the phone and plan! We went with T-mobile and bought 2 phones. We were not charged a penny for any of the initial costs and got $200.00 back in rebates--$100 for the 2-phone purchase and $100 for the plan we chose (Family Time). If you are purchasing a phone as well as a plan, be sure to check out the variety of phones. Some have better rebates than others, but might not have all of the extras you want/need (ie. speakerphone, text messaging, downloading capabilities, e-mail, etc.).
Good luck!!!

I'm a CSR for Sprint if you want any info on their plans. :D

My mother uses Verizon's Free Up plan. She doesn't use hers much just for "emegencies". But I think the good thing about that is that you can't go over your minutes. And it tells her how many minutes she has I think before every call.

But I now have Cingular and like them. There is dead spots in my town, but the reception at my house is great.

I like that Cingular has the roll over. DH and I only ever went over our plan once, but that once cost us $50 when we were on Verizon! $50!

And I heard a radio commercial that sprint will charge you only $5 for 100 extra minutes if you do go over on your minutes.

good luck!

That is true about Sprint, when you are on the Fair and flexible plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter