Best Camera?

wdw-ocd

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera for our upcoming trip but I have no idea what to look for. All I know is that I need something that's idiot-proof and will take great pictures (not a bunch of blurry dots when printed or enlarged). I'd also like a "thinner" camera that will fit into a fannypack. Any and all suggestions would be terrific!

Thanks!:goodvibes

How much do you want to spend. Digital cameras run from about $50 for a bad one to $4500+ (body only) for a top-of-the-line Nikon or Canon.

Anne

I LOVE my Cannon SD. Check out the photo forum, that is where I got alot of info when I was looking for a camera last year. Good Luck

We just bought a Canon PowerShot and it is WONDERFUL. Check out the reviews on amazon and cnet.com. The one we got doesn't have a viewfinder (although I don't think we used that once when we had our old camera) but it has a 3 in. screen which is great!

We just picked up a Canon Powershot SD750 from Dell for $239/free shipping. We literally JUST got it so the battery is charged and ready to go... just haven't used the camera yet!

It is tiny... a little bigger than a pack of cards, has a 3" screen, no viewfinder and lots of bells and whistles. I can't wait to use it all weekend!

Another vote for Canon, I'm not familiar with the SD models but the A6x0 series get great reviews and I've been very happy with my A610 (although I've since purchased the S3 for greater zoom).

I just got a Nikon Coolpix L12 and love it! I have a Nikon D50 (SLR) that is amazing, but I needed something small to carry around so I got the L12. It is great. It takes great pictures and is small and only weighs 4.4 lbs.

I have the Casio Exilim Z60. Takes great pictures, even if you're shooting while walking around without stopping. It's about the size of a credit card and maybe half an inch thick. Also, totally idiot-proof. I absolutely LOVE it!

Another vote for Canon, I'm not familiar with the SD models but the A6x0 series get great reviews and I've been very happy with my A610 (although I've since purchased the S3 for greater zoom).

The A series takes AA batteries and the SD series has a rechargable lithium-ion battery. The LI batteries allow less "lag" time between shots than the AA batteries have.

Just bought this a couple months back. Took it to Disney a couple weeks ago. GREAT little camera. Point and shoot, idiot proof. Fits in fanny pack, has large screen, viewfinder, lots of little options like color swapping, b&w, etc if you want to get into that. I paid 300 +/- from QVC as a special value day. I don't think you would be dissappointed with this camera.

Here is a picture I took of my daughter at her 8th grade chorus concert the other night. Took it in a hurry because her friend had to leave, so this was literally a point and shoot picture...
IMG_0911.jpg

The DIS photography board is a great help for these kinds of questions and you can do side by side comparisons and read all the latest reviews and news on cameras at www.dpreview.com....it's a great help as well..

Earlier this month we bought an Olympus that is waterproof to 33ft. & also "shockproof" from 5ft (meaning it can be dropped).
It's great!
We just spent 9 days in WDW & took it swimming everyday & to BB, along with using it daily in the parks. The pictures look great!!

People are not used to seeing a waterproof digital camera.
You wouldn't believe how many people said to us, "Hey, do your know your camera is getting wet?"

It was $379.00 at Best Buy.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE :love: my Konica Minolta Dimage Z6 12x digital zoom, anti-shake-6.0 megapixels Absolutely idiotproof...I can never understand owners' manuals for anything :confused3 but this camera is SO easy even I figured out w/o even looking at it :idea:

I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I know I got it (after much research on-line and at wholesale clubs and camera shops etc) for $100's less from a trusted eBay seller :thumbsup2

Pics come out like professionals, in fact it is very difficult to tell which pictures were taken at the parks by the Photopass photographers and which from my camera. It's not a "thin" camera but fits perfectly fine in the avg. fanny pack w/room to spare

Thursday I just bought a new Sony DSC-W90.

tiny, tiny, tiny little camera. It feels like there is nothing there! Takes great pictures so far.. I'm doing a lot of experimenting to see if I want to keep it or not, though.
I have a Sony I bought three years ago that I still love, but wanted something a little.. newer? I guess.

When you spin the dial on the camera to switch between settings it tells you when to use the setting-- "This works best in snow, when there is a lot of white in the background"--"This works best in a tropical beach scene, to help make blues rich and vibrant" (Not exact words but you get the point :)

It was $285 after tax at Sams Club (but Circuit City also carries it)
Comes with an easy-to-travel with battery recharger, too.

...did i mention it's a super-spiffy mate black color with silver finishing? Love it. Got great reviews too, check out Circuit City or Amazon!

You might try the thin Nikon ones in a 5 to 6 MP min. atleast for print quality.

I have the Nikon Coolpix P2 and LOVE it and its very user friendly and I've gotten some great prints of it. It has scence modes for fireworks even but you will need a tripod because it takes a long time to focus and expose so its very delayed and the teeniest move will blur it on fireworks scene mode.

It has auto features as well as some manual modes that really are easy to use after you've read through the manual. :thumbsup2

go check out dpreview.com for reviews on almost any brand and style.

I'm thinking about getting the Pentex Optio series that is waterproof and can go under water for beach pictures and pool pictures.

I had a Canon before that worked good but was low MP so it did't get good prints.

But I agree go for the SD series for the rechargable battery. Even with rechargable AA's burn up fast and require a lot of charging.

On my Nikon I have the lithium ion battery and it lasts through 120 where I get a memory full message anyway. It charges quickly in 2 hours.

I bought my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W100 a couple of months ago after asking a friend about hers - it took such great pictures AND videos without running the battery down - she told me and also said that's how she found out about it - from seeing another friend with it and seeing how great it was. I have been so happy with it - good luck with your hunt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter