Best bags for the parks

Dizzy Lizzie

Earning My Ears
I'm starting to get into packing mode for our trip. We're 40 days out. I'm currently making a list for things we need like sunscreen. The one thing that has stump me is what type of bag bring into the park. A purse? backpack? fanny pack? I know those loungefly bags are popular. Are they comfortable? Do they get in the way on rides? Speaking of rides. Are there rides that require a locker for your belongings?

We actually bought a loungefly (or three) while we were there and I thought it was perfect. It's not too big, you can put it between your feet during rides for the most part, it fits water bottles, and pretty comfortable.

I never bring bags into parks (I like to travel super light). But my daughter loves her fanny pack because it's compact and easy to stash on rides. My wife just brings a very small purse for the same reason. We do not lug anything big into parks so we travel light. Some water rides like Kali River Rapids have lockers in case you don't want to risk something getting wet. Other rides like Rock'n'Roller Coaster have that small mesh pouch on the seat in front of you that can hold a fanny pack but not a bigger pack. It all depends on what you want to carry in the bag. I'm no expert, but if I were to bring a bag I'd want it to be the smallest size possible that can accommodate whatever I planned to bring.

It is likely to be hot during your trip. Backpacks make for sweaty backs. I don't carry a bag anymore (cargo pockets). Search this board, as there are several threads on bags already.

I usually bring a backpack as I bring too much stuff to be able to fit in my pockets. The other people in my group always bring a Loungefly and they're a good travel size and fit easily on rides, but they're not able to fit everything. They can fit a water bottle, phone, sunglasses case and wallet but I had to be the one to carry ponchos and sunscreen since their bags were too small.

The backpack I bring is the Herschel Little America and it's probably the best backpack I've ever owned. I bought it 7+ years ago and still looks brand new (no wear/rips/holes). It even has two drink holders on the sides that can fit plastic water bottles. On rides I have to put the straps in between my legs and the only ride I have issues with is Space Mountain. Those seats are already a tight squeeze so trying to secure my backpack was a struggle.

I purchased a couple of these from Amazon a year or so ago (lots of colors to pick from and 2 different sizes in some colors).
I have my phone, license, CCs, poncho and glasses and it all fits fine.

Purse Pic1.JPGPurse Pic 2.JPG

Last edited:

I use my loungefly for when there might be rain and I need to bring my rain coat. I have a small crossbody bag that I use sometimes if I need a little more stuff with, but not the rain gear. For the days when I don't need extra stuff, I try to just bring stuff that will fit in my cargo shorts. I love being hands-free at the park!

I bought the Noola large Fanny pack. It has a compartment for my insulated water bottle, my UV umbrella, iPhone 12max, and more.

I do not travel light when I go to the parks. At a minimum: cell phone, portable charger, cable for portable charger, wallet, hand sanitizer, eyeglass case (for switching between prescription sunglasses and regular glasses), lip balm, tissues. Sometimes a rain poncho. And usually various other things LOL.

I like the LL Bean Everyday Lightweight Tote, in the medium size.

I put a Hefty brand Jumbo Storage slider (2.5 gallon) "ziploc" bag inside it. That keeps everything dry. It also makes it easier because if a small item falls to the bottom, you can take the ziploc bag out and find it easily.

I don't do roller coasters. I'm the one who holds everybody's stuff when they go on the big rides.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78927?page=everyday-lightweight-tote&bc=&feat=tote bag-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=tote bag&pos=3

I'm starting to get into packing mode for our trip. We're 40 days out. I'm currently making a list for things we need like sunscreen. The one thing that has stump me is what type of bag bring into the park. A purse? backpack? fanny pack? I know those loungefly bags are popular. Are they comfortable? Do they get in the way on rides? Speaking of rides. Are there rides that require a locker for your belongings?
I use to carry a crossbody until I bought a loungefly mini backpack.. It was so much better being handsfree without a strap around my neck. I tend to load up on long days so the weight of a purse strap around my one shoulder/neck was unpleasant. Plus, loungefly mini backpacks are too cute!

I saw lots of cute Disney/ Loungefly backpacks on our recent trip but they are too small for what we bring to the parks. Used my Columbia Zigzag backpack and it held sandals,raincoats etc. for four.

I'm taking my old backpack. I bought one of the smaller sling ones and tried it out at a track meet last weekend. Not going to work for how we "do" disney. My kids are going back and forth between a string bag, something the size of a lounge fly, or their old smaller, yet personalized (ha!) Lands End backpacks my MIL got them for to carry their games, etc. on their first vacation to Disney when they were 3 and 5 (now 17 and 19)

It’s been years since I was last down there, but I’ve gone with just a fanny pack one year and a backpack others. I started going with backpacks when I started bringing my camera and an extra lens. It was also nice to be able to put my camera in the bag when I was on a ride.

I highly recommend a Lug Hatchback 3. It holds a surprising amount of stuff while also being fairly compact. I like it because it doesn't stick out from your back very far. I've ridden rides like Haunted Mansion comfortably without even taking it off. Comes in a bunch of different prints/colors. I also like that there are a couple different pockets that make it easy to stay organized. You're not just searching for things in one giant compartment. Super well made. I've worn one every day for years and it's in great shape. Absolutely worth the money.

When I had a stroller to store a diaper bag, I would use a draw string backpack to carry my wallet, phone, poncho and sunglasses while on rides. I'm heading in June with my oldest and won't have a stroller and plan to use a Mickey backpack to carry: Crocs for both of us, sunscreen, ponchos, and anything we purchase. I'm not looking forward to necessarily wearing it all day but I can't travel lightly

We don't like lugging around a lot of excess stuff at the parks. If you have small children and use a stroller, there is adequate room to place items in those storage areas. If you don't use a stroller and your family is older, we find it best to be very selective on what you bring and then you aren't carrying around a bunch of extra items at the park. For some things like suntan lotion, we apply it before leaving our hotel room. Unless you are doing several water rides, that is an example of something you really won't need at the park and one less thing to carry.

For the men in our group, if it doesn't fit in a pocket we leave it at the hotel. For the women, bring whatever fits in the typical purse you plan to carry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter