Belt tightening: Old food in the freezer

TheLittleRoo

DIS Veteran
More embarrassing acknowledgments first: I have a freezer full of meat and veggies that I bought with good intentions of cooking. Other than the price tag with a date on some of the meat, how would you know if something is nasty or usable?

Part of me has been looking at these sad frozen bricks so long and passing them over for fresh, that I almost say "throw 'em all out and start over carefully"

I should mention that I have chronic allergies, so I am very bad at detecting subtle taste (ie, something has gone bad, freezer burn) but my DH has canine-like taste receptors! He is one to refuse to eat marked-down meat because it was one day away from expiration. :headache:

I'd like to go through and eliminate what needs to be tossed without having to thaw, cook, sniff or taste. Since sniffing and tasting wouldn't really help me anyway.:lmao: Any advice?

I'm the same way, I forget how long it's been and end up throwing it away. My aunt always bagged things in freezer bags and wrote the date and food on the outside in sharpie. I have started to do that, so I won't have so much wasted food.

I'm the same way, I forget how long it's been and end up throwing it away. My aunt always bagged things in freezer bags and wrote the date and food on the outside in sharpie. I have started to do that, so I won't have so much wasted food.

I do this as well. I had some stuff in my freezer that looked a little sketchy and I wasn't sure how long it had been in there so I threw it away. Not very cost effective.
Also with the marking has saved me a few times because I would grab a frozen brick that looked like one thing and once it defrosted turned out to be another. ;)

This is exactly why I don't buy in bulk.

I either leave it in the freezer for a year, or I bring it out to thaw & forget about it.

This is exactly why I don't buy in bulk.

I either leave it in the freezer for a year, or I bring it out to thaw & forget about it.

<sheepish> Me too! It really comes down to this: if I'm not using it in a week, it probably means I really don't like it, and might as well have not bought it. We have so many skinless, boneless chicken breasts from Costco and hamburger patties from Costco... I know they are basic staples but I just never want to go "old school" and dress up those tasteless chicken slabs.

Might as well have the freezer space for stuff we WILL eat, say ice cream?:laughing:

If food is frozen and stored properly, it shouldn't be unsafe to consume.

Taste, however, is another story! :teeth:

Kimya

I always mark meat packages, so I never have to throw that out. My big problem is frozen veggies and I never realize they have gone bad until I cook it and try to eat it :(

If it hasn't been in there too aweful long more than 4-6 mos maybe the crockpot can save it. Slow cook it all day with broth and veggies.

Heck, I say "cook it!!!"

Mix it with some broth or make a dish with gravy or sauce, maybe marinade the meat. When all else fails, make chili!!

All you have to do is cover the taste for DH and you're good to go! Give it a shot - worst that can happen is you and the kids end up eating it and DH has to fend for himself!! :)

I've cooked frozen meat that I KNOW has been in my freezer 1 year and sometimes even a little longer. For the most part no one can tell the difference (maybe I just season it up pretty well), nor has anyone gotten sick from eating it. We've probably had meals like this three or four times a year for the past ohhhhhh 25 years or so.

I'd cook it, too, with something spicy or flavorful. Frozen food doesn't go bad and you're not going to get sick from it. Quality will deteriorate over time, but if you make stew or something similar, you'll never know.

We get half a cow every year, and it takes us a year to eat it up, so I don't see how those sites can say that meat (properly packaged) isn't "good" for at least that long. I'm very frugal, so I'll agree with those who said "disguise" it, season it up, and serve it.

At the very least, if it's just freezer burned, cook it up and feed it to your pets (start with small portions mixed in with normal food and build up over time). Veggies are excellent fillers for overweight doggies who always think they're starving. (Just no onions, grapes, raisins, or chocolate.)

Terri

How long would a turkey breast be good? It's been in the freezer for a while but I don't know how long!:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter