Beignets still at PO?

janner

Grateful for Pete Werner.
We will be @ WDW in December and are willing to drive over to PO for a beignet fix. Anyone know if they are still available during the rehab?
Janet and Maddy

The last time I heard Port Orleans Riverside does not sell them and they weren't on the breakfast menu at wdwig.com.
Port Orleans French Quarter does sell them, but they are completly closed right now for rehab so no you can't get them there. Sorry.
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We were there in 8/03 and there were no beignets at POR. We had them (at POR) on our 8/02 trip, so I asked at the bakery when they sold them (I thought maybe they just sold them in the morning), and was told "those are only sold at PO-FQ, and they are closed now". I asked when they stopped serving them at POR, since we just had them the year before and the CM told me they hadn't been sold at POR for years....it doesn't matter when they stopped serving them, but at least in August, if you had been looking for a fix, you'd have been looking elsewhere.

Oh darn!! We were really looking forward to these! :(

Could the CM be wrong considering he/she said they hadn't sold them for years and you know you just had them last year??

Very disappointing!

No beignets. Big sigh. But at least we know ahead of time and can steel ourselves.
Actually, he bright side is that we had made ressies (thru Dreams Unlimited of course) at POFQ before they decided to close. A little pixie dust from Disney, and our DU representative tells us we have an affordable "upsell" rate at the Poly, where we normally wouldn't have considered staying. So, I guess we can eat extra Cocoa Puffs at Kona Cafe to make up for not having beignets.
Thanks to all who posted.
Janner

It hasn't been "years". We ate some at POR for our May 2002 stay. :confused: But I don't know when they stopped. We stayed at POR right before FQ re-opened. FQ opened the day we left POR.

And if you have ever eaten beignets from NOLA, you will never eat any of the foul PO beignets again. Give me the real ones from Cafe DuMond any time.

Excuse my ignorance - what is a beignet?

(I suspect I'll know it under another name ;) )

Originally posted by Deb & Bill
And if you have ever eaten beignets from NOLA, you will never eat any of the foul PO beignets again. Give me the real ones from Cafe DuMond any time.

That's where we had them originally! I guess we won't be missing much then? We were looking forward to getting them at WDW since it's a lot closer than NO!!

Beignet (been-yay) is fried dough coated in powdered sugar. New Orleans has the best ones. They don't serve them if they are more than 30 minutes old. They are tender and fluffy and wonderful. Plus cheap. about 3 for $1 or thereabouts (haven't been to the French Quarter in a few years).

Our first beignets were at Disneyland, at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney. Having never been to New Orleans, we thought they were just dandy. I think the cook got a kick out of us because we ordered just one batch (3 beignets) to start with, for the two of us, since we weren't sure we would like them. Well, a very short time later, we were back for another order!
Janet

<MARQUEE><font size=+2 color=red <marquee> ºoº...We are going to DisneyWorld...ºoº</MARQUEE><p>
I can't believe I just wrote a Dis Friend about this very question this morning. I'm also sorry to learn I won't get any beignets. I had my first ones in New Orleans and thought this would be such a treat. Oh well, no Osborn Lights, no beignets, what's next?

<center>
mick45_small.jpg
</center>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter