Before and after the parks

slpeters

DIS Veteran
We are going to be at Universal for a week in December. It looks like if history is any indication our park hours will likely be 9-7 most days (we're in the parks for 4.5 days). When we went to Disney we tended to do EMH and do open to close with a break (mainly to nap) in the middle. So we were generally in the parks from 7 in the morning until 9 or even 12 at night.

We're staying at RPR so we will have EP and we're there for a long time so I'm not really worried about getting stuff done. I'm actually a little more concerned about the before and after the parks. I suppose dinner and drinks sort of takes care of the evenings but we're not really sleeping in kind of people. Also with the exception of our day at MVMCP and our day at SeaWorld I don't really want to leave Universal.

So my question is what do people do at Universal outside the parks--especially in the morning and evening hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In the evening, hit up mini golf, Blue Man Group, bowling at Cabana Bay and resort and pool hopping.

Staying onsite at Uni is like a proper vacation. You can get the parks done much quicker than at Disney (or just spend time re-rising), you can truly enjoy the parks, and then you can ose and relax at the resort. Or play mini golf at citywalk. Etc.

We’ve never had a hard time filling our evenings.

There is also a large AMC theater in City Walk which we have made some use of in the past. Depending on the age of your kids, I know on some nights during the week, RPR puts up a big screen next to the pool and shows kids movies during those evenings. I do believe they showed the movies even in December, but depending on the temps, it might be a little chilly. :)

Also, if your stay is over a Saturday night, every Saturday night at RPR they have the Wantilan Luau. That might be of interest to your family.

We love taking down time while in the Uni bubble. Pool hopping is our #1 thing (we go in summer). The pools at RPR and PBR have ping-pong tables. Many hours spent on that. PBR has two hot tubs, beautifully decorated. PBR also has bocce courts in their second pool.

I have seen that the night time movies-by-the-pool were moved inside during bad weather over at CB.

During the evening, you can also drive down to WDW, park in the TTC lot (for free if you get there an hour before MK close). Ride the ferry back and forth, then watch the fireworks (almost said 'Wishes') from the boat dock back at the TTC.

We have done Disney Springs on an off day, too.

Morning...get your coffee, coke, tea, whichever...and head to one of the hot tubs as the sun comes up. Peaceful, and a great way to really appreciate that you are on vacation. Evening, visit the other on property hotels. Seriously, they are each like a little world of themselves.

The evenings are a great time to visit and explore the other hotels.
Spend time in the lobbies, shops, eateries at the hotels to get an idea if it could be a future stay for you.

Pbh has the opera singers at sundown (check website for actural times) which is done nicely.
Catch it if you are visiting that hotel one evening.

Have some fun sitting around the pools, join in the games outside of the pools.

Saturdays at Rpr has the hawaiin show by the pools near tower 3
Fire dancer, hula girls, lighting the torch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter