Been to Barbados?

i have, we were not impressed tbh :confused3 i think there are nicer places in the caribbean

My mum went last year. She said it was expensive with designer shops etc, and quite commercial, quite built up etc. She prefers Cuba as even though it is less glamorous it has more of a local identity. I think it depends on what you want as I can see how some people would prefer Barbados over other islands as it has more going on.

Thankyou Natalie and Claire :goodvibes,

Oh dear, it doesn't look that great does it in that case? It was an amazing special offer with Virgin that was meaning we would go there as we have loads of miles to use up in the next couple of months. TBH, I wouldn't want to be bored so I don't mind shops etc. I've wanted to go to Cuba for a while I think it looks lovely. Ever since I saw Dirty Dancing 2 :lmao:.

I went a couple of years ago and wasnt too impressed. As others have said we found it too commerical - full of chain stores etc. I also didnt like how many British people there were there :rotfl:

I have been three times and loved it every time. The people are lovely and nothing is too much troiuble for them. Life is at a slower pace, which we loved.

Yes there are many Brits there, but that is true of many of the Caribbean Islands. It was quite expensive, but the local rum was plentiful and not as expensive as imported drinks. We hired a car and drove around the island which was fun as road signs are basically non-existent except on major roads, of which there aren't many! We ate at local places during the day, not the big tourist resort restaurants and we had lots of fun.

We have stayed at Sandy Lane, which was lovely and we have also stayed inland at a plantation with it's own population of monkeys living in the trees!

I loved Barbados and would go again in a heatbeat.

Tina

We had a week in Barbados 4 years ago and loved it staying at near Port St Charles on the north west Coast. We did one the jeep safari which we thought was really good, took you around the island and provided cooked lunch and drink. We stayed all inclusive as many of the resorts are and also caught the bus into Bridgetown one day and that was the only time we saw any chain stores mentioned in other posts

There was a good mix of culture on the island and the people were very friendly but would not want to stay near Bridgetown because that is not representative of the island. Near our hotel there was la few small resturants and shops for the locals.

My wife would like to go there again but them I discovered WDW :thumbsup2

Barbados has a interesting social structure with many millionaires, and extreme wealth alongside extreme poverty because of the planning laws. Yet every school child is pristinely presneted for school in thier uniforms. Oh and you might get to see Cliff Richard and Oprah !

Good to hear some positive views on Barbados too :goodvibes. TBH I think I would rather go and see if I like it after all its only a week and I spend most of my time in Florida shopping anyway so the commercial aspect wouldn't bother me I don't think ;). I think if we stay somewhere fairly tranquil and hire a car so we can visit the more touristy places we should be alright - thanks for the input everyone :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter