Been a few years

WeLoveDisneyAlways

DIS Veteran
last cruise was the dream in 2014, now heading on the magic in January 2018. New port we'll be leaving from Miami. Also reading reviews I've read things like "picked up character tickets" (this was not a thing when we cruised). Is there anything we should know, have other things changed? Anything I should know about the Magic. Do we still need to pick an arrival time at port?

Last edited:
Yes, still need to pick a port arrival time (Platinum and Concierge do not have to). I am not sure if all the ships now do character meet & greet sign ups when you do your online check in or if that is only for certain M&G's. You can also pick your character breakfast time online when doing online check in (if your itinerary has a character breakfast).

MJ

last cruise was the dream in 2014, now heading on the magic in January 2018. New port we'll be leaving from Miami. Also reading reviews I've read things like "picked up character tickets" (this was not a thing when we cruised). Is there anything we should know, have other things changed? Anything I should know about the Magic. Do we still need to pick an arrival time at port?

If you want Princess Gathering and/or Frozen Meet & Greet, you need tickets. It's best if you can to sign up for those when you can book activities as there may or may not be any available once you are on board.

I just got off the Magic and had a wonderful time. Any specific questions? (No kids, so I can't answer anything about the Kids' Clubs)

Yes, you still select a PAT and your Boarding Group will be tied to that PAT. (As noted above, the exception is if you're Platinum or Concierge where you are automatically Group 1.)

If you want Princess Gathering and/or Frozen Meet & Greet, you need tickets. It's best if you can to sign up for those when you can book activities as there may or may not be any available once you are on board.

I just got off the Magic and had a wonderful time. Any specific questions? (No kids, so I can't answer anything about the Kids' Clubs)

Yes, you still select a PAT and your Boarding Group will be tied to that PAT. (As noted above, the exception is if you're Platinum or Concierge where you are automatically Group 1.)

I'd asked if you loved it but I assume you did!! We've been on the dream twice and loved every minute. Bit nervous venturing to Miami for the first time. I'd love to stay on the beach after but so expensive. We found the comfort suites nice new rooms with free shuttle for same price as Disney transfers so again out of my comfort zone, but we'd never do anything exciting with out new experiences. Do you have any tips for us?

I loved Miami Beach! Yeah, the places down on Ocean Drive are expensive, but I didn't find the Hilton Garden that bad - and it was a little removed from the craziness. Most of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go was in Miami Beach, so it made more sense to stay there than Miami.

I did a JetBoat tour and a Hop On Hop Off tour (also a Segway tour and a Duck tour - but those were based out of Miami Beach rather than Miami). Ate at the Hard Rock Cafe. Explored a little bit of Wynwood and Little Havana but want to explore more.

The terminal is smaller - much less seating. There is a smaller room off the main one, but it is hard to hear the announcements there, so once those started we moved out to stand. We did a Lyft to the port (awesome service) and DCL Transportation back to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter