Bed for 4 and 2 year old

ryboone

Earning My Ears
We are first time cruisers and booked a 4 night in a Veranda room on the Wonder in September.

Are kids will be 4 and 2 at the time of the cruise. I know that the couch folds out into a bed and a bunk comes down the the ceiling? I mentioned to my wife that we could have our 4 year old son sleep in the bunk that from the ceiling. However, she seemed terrified by the idea of him sleeping there. She thinks he is too young to sleep there and is worried he'd fall from the top bunk.

What do other parents of young kids do? Am I crazy for thinking that maybe he could sleep on the top bunk?

My girls were 5 and fought over the top bunk (there's a rail) so maybe it depends on your kid. I've heard people request additional bed rails if necessary. The other idea I've heard is that the mattress from the top bunk can be placed on the floor. That might be cumbersome though. And the sofa isn't a pull out bed. It's just a day bed (single).so you would have some floor space if that's what you'd want to do with the top mattress. Have fun!

Our 3 year old did great in the upper bunk.

Some rooms actually sleep 5 so you might have a second pull down bed. I'm sure if you give your cabin number, someone will know.

One other suggestion I've seen is to have the kids sleep feet to feet in the lower bed.

Again though, we've had no trouble with the upper bunk.

We have just taken the mattress off the top bunk and put it on the floor. That worked out well for us. Our teenager didn't want to sleep up there either so he gets the couch bed. Our daughter now will sleep up on the bunk, we just ask for an extra bed rail and it's much more secure up there with that. Have a great cruise!

You know your own child best, but I wouldn't let either of mine sleep in a bunk on land when they were that small. So I'm siding with your wife.

Would the two kids sleep together on the couch, either side by side or foot to foot? Otherwise, the pack n play for the 2 year old might solve your problem. Unless.... you want to trade places and take the bunk, giving one of the little ones your spot on the bed?

... just take the mattress off the top bunk and put it on the floor. That worked out well for us.....

:thumbsup2

Or place it on the balcony. :duck:

Relocating mattresses have occurred since the first DCL sailing. :)

For some reason most pax don't consider relocating the mattress. :confused3

This is reportedly an often event that works well on all the vessels.
This solution is often overlooked unfortunately. Until pressed / forced aboard.
Most mattresses can be relocated temporarily to accommodate guests.

DCL though, prefers you return the mattresses from the balcony in inclement weather. :eek:

It may help if we have a cabin # to access the cabin / bed situation. Among other items.

Please share cabin #, or at least cabin category.

Thanks

Last edited:

I think a 4 year old should be fine on the top bunk. The rail is long, it would take some work to roll out of that bed.

I would either ask to have the mattress put on the floor, or if the kids are small enough, have them sleep at the 2 ends of the sleeper sofa--pillow at each end. For the upper bunk, I would mostly be worried if your child has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Here is a picture of the beds with my 5' tall 12 year old sitting on the top bunk:
8-8DSCN0296.JPG

For our first cruise, my oldest was a few days shy of 4, and she loved the top bunk. We were a little worried, but she did great. Now, we have to take turns on the top bunk because both kids love it so much (at 4 and 6).

Like other posters said, some rooms also have a fold-out murphy bed. I would also warn you that the ladder is movable and therefore the 2 year old could possibly move them

My grandkids are 19 months apart and 3 of their 4 cruises, they have slept together on the bottom bunk without issue.
When we sailed last month we put down the top bunk for the first time, they are now 6 & 8. They of course both wanted it so they took turns.
I just told them to wake us up if the needed the bathroom in the middle of the night and thankfully only once did my grandson need to climb down in the middle of the night.
I think they will be ok together on the bottom, if thats what you want.

If you are afraid of the 2 yr old moving the ladder (although it's hooked pretty securely, and I can't picture a two year old being able to move it themselves other than pushing it a tiny bit askew) you can actually stow it yourself at the head of the bed, to move it out of the way (not intended to use it to climb on). That's what we have done to move it out of our way until our room host stows it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter