Beach conditions after Irma?

2Gma

Mouseketeer
We were planning to head to the beach this trip as our kids have never been but now after Irma, are they open, damage, polluted? any FL residents or recent visitors know? We were thinking of Siesta Key or Clearwater but now that Irma hit on the west side maybe we should go to Cocoa. Other Suggestions?

now the Atlantic side has no swimming because of the hurricane off shore. Since the weather bureau here only does the Atlantic side - can't tell about the Gulf side.

When is your trip planned? I would not really suggest hitting a beach in Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area yet. There are still lots of things in the water and washing ashore like 2x4s, pieces of roofs, fences, plastic pots, etc. Also there has been sewage issues in the area. The winds are bringing in lots of seaweed still, too. The water is rough with lots of rip currents, too. Just to come and see the ocean, play in the sand, etc. is probably ok in Cocoa Beach, but I do not recommend getting in the water yet. Most of the ramps over the dunes are closed but usually there are still stairs available to get to the sand. Picture is from Melbourne Beach where the sail boat was washed in. IMG_0005.JPG

I live in Sarasota a few miles from Siesta Key. I was just there this morning enjoying a walk on the beach. There are a few buildings on the island that have some minor damage that are in the process of repairs but for the most part everything is back up and running. The beach was beautiful as ever.

We are planning a trip next May to Cocoa beach and Indian Shores beach, any predictions on how beaches will be? Sorry we are not familiar with these storms or how it affects the beaches .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!