BCV ROFR

stuartsong

DIS Veteran
I have noticed that lot of resale listing are going very fast and prices are going up. We have recently had two separate BCV contracts taken at ROFR. One contract was a 500 points August use year for $127/pt and another 350 points February use year for $134/pt. Both had a free year of points. I was told by one of the resale brokers that anything less than $140/pt is being taken at ROFR. Anyone else have the same experience?

Large contracts are an easy mark for Disney, especially since they changed the rules and can assign the points a different UY. They also raised their prices on the older resorts that are in high demand creating a higher profit margin.

:earsboy: Bill

My stripped one at 140 was taken in January. Since the waitlist is long for direct, the price is high, people are willing to pay it, I think Disney is just taking a bunch right now.

Disney has been exercising ROFR a lot on several resorts. But nobody knows what or why for certain. In the past couple of days there were contracts that passed for lower than had been happening. It's a monkey so I recommend to bid what you're comfortable with and can negotiate.

I agree with all the above.
DVC Resale Market and Resales DVC both have blogs where they chart their ROFR stats, which I have found helpful along with the ROFR thread on this board. It has seemed like anything less than $140 would get taken, and they’ve been taking a lot of BCV, but maybe they’ve had their fill of BCV for now?

My wild guess is that since Disney raised the direct price to $225 :scared1: they’ve been working to push the resale price up (same with BLT) and/or fill wait list demand and/or make Riviera seem more appealing by comparison.

I second them trying to make Riviera seem more appealing by comparison.

I typically buy things pretty irresponsibly based on emotion but here, even I can't stomach it. A direct price of $225 and resales pushing $145-150 on a resort which originally sold for about $70pp, contract well more than half exhausted? The part of me with any financial sense is saying to buy something for about the same price (or less!) with a contract nearly double the length and simply try and use the points at beach club on occasion. Like Riviera (or Poly or VGF or CCV)

I was not in the market for a big contract like you are for BCV. I simply wanted a tiny add on and passed ROFR for 30 points at $162/point. It is ridiculous compared to what I paid in '17 for SSR ($86) and also to what the going rate is for BCV ($140), but I passed and the contract is mine until I am in my upper 60's. I think I will still enjoy my $162/point buy in for walking distance to Epcot when I am a 68 year old win-o at food and wine. #justsaying
Was this an investment? No. Am I happy with my purchase? You bet!

I agree. Part of me is frustrated that I just paid $134 @ BWV. (My earlier contract was $85). But, the Boardwalk is my favorite area and I want longer stays. (I really enjoy looking at the Disney art studio there). My points constantly disappear. You cant take the $ with you and we are just so happy there. We also have VGF, but for some reason it is just not the same. My 10 yr old even loves Epcot (I dont understand why). Maybe it has something to do with the wine & I let her get anything she likes there. We only have until 2042 when the music stops... so enjoy the dance.

I admit that "it's about the fun and not about the money" is an attractive point of view, but in this particular instance it's actually contrary to the whole point of DVC.

DVC exists to provide deluxe resort accommodations at an affordable cost. Once we've started to disregard that idea we might as well just pay cash for rooms at beach club.

DVC exists to provide deluxe resort accommodations at an affordable cost. Once we've started to disregard that idea we might as well just pay cash for rooms at beach club.

Ahem, JMO but that's what DVC would like you to believe, and possibly that's what it did in the past. Now it exists to make boatloads of money, and get people like us to foot the bill for building maintenance. Don't misunderstand, I love my DVC, but they aren't there to make Disney vacations more affordable.

Ahem, JMO but that's what DVC would like you to believe, and possibly that's what it did in the past. Now it exists to make boatloads of money, and get people like us to foot the bill for building maintenance. Don't misunderstand, I love my DVC, but they aren't there to make Disney vacations more affordable.

This is part of why I'm so confused over the apparent hate for resales. Resale MFs pay their salaries just as well as Direct MFs.

Well it was always the plan and motive; DVC was never giving anything away for free. DVC is still a significant savings on deluxe accommodations and as always relies under a very specific set of assumptions, which aren’t that unrealistic, but still very much a savings. It’s just the buyers have changed mentality from savings on larger deluxe accommodations to savings/upgrades from a moderate resort room. Plus a healthy rental market has made it less appealing, but without buyers the rental market wouldn’t exist.

On top of the MF being paid DVC made a profit on every direct contract sold, always.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter