Battle of Flowers Museum, Jersey

wickesy

<font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y
Dad and I were in Jersey last week and one of the places we visited was the Battle of Flowers museum, which was set up by Florence Bechelet in 1971 to showcase the floats that she had made for the annual Battle of Flowers parade in Jersey. All of her floats are hand made from wild flowers - Marram Grass and Harestails

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

Each float takes Miss Bechelet around 1,400 hours to make as the flowers are hand dyed and then stuck on to a wooden frame. We were surprised that the first float we saw when we went in was Disney themed:

DSCF0373.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0372.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0377.jpg

What I didn't spot initially but saw on the way out was that each dog is 'anatomically correct' - you can tell which dog's are male ;) - now that's attention to detail!

As we wandered round we came across another float with a Disney connection:

DSCF0409.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

And finally, around another corner was this:

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

Taking a closer look at how the picture is made up
DSCF0420.jpg

Miss Bechelet entered her first float in the competition in 1934 when se was 16 years old - she's now 94 and, after winning several prizes over the years, she is still creating and maintaining her floats.

If you are ever in Jersey I can highly recommend taking a trip out to the Battle of Flowers museum and spending an hour or so wandering around looking at the various floats from her years of entering the competition. :goodvibes

Wow, thats brilliant David, that must have taken some time to do, great photos, hope you had a good time, I have always wanted to go to Jersey:goodvibes

I lived in Jersey for 10 years and never got around to seeing the museum. Did see The Battle of Flowers a good few times though. Lots and lots of hard work making the floats but so impressive in the parade :goodvibes

some people are so talented aren't they? I was in Jersey a few years back but didn't know about this place. I would have gone.:)

they are amazing, great photos :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter