Banking question

pbb322

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search and had a hard time figuring it out. We just purchased direct at the Poly with a June use year. We are using our points from June 2016 and borrowing some points from June 2017 for a trip this June. We cannot decide yet whether we want to go next year at Spring Break March 2018 or in June 2018 - largely waiting on a family member decision about June, if they cannot go we will go in March. Trying to determine if I go ahead and reserve our room at the Poly at 11 months for March, if we determine BEFORE the deadline to bank the June 2017 points that we are going to cancel and book for June 2018, can we then BANK the June 17 points to use in the June 2018 reservation or are they not bankable once they have been booked for a reservation during the use year. I know that borrowed points cannot go back to the next use year if you cancel, but I am curious whether same use year points can be banked after a reservation has been cancelled, assuming you have not passed the banking deadline. (We will know long before the banking deadline whether the final answer is May or June). Thanks in advance, this stuff is hard to figure out!

You can do what you're describing. Borrow your 2018 points to book March 2018, then if you have to push March out to June, bank your 2017 points. Your borrowed 2018 points are stuck in 2017, but you'd reallocate those onto your June 2017 trip, returning an equal # of 2017 points to your account. Once you cancel a res, the points just go back to normal -- that does not prevent you from banking them.

What I'd do, is the instant you have your March 2018 trip booked, I would call MS and have them do the reallocation, to make sure the borrowed 2018 points are being used on the June trip and only current points are being used on the March trip. You want to be absolutely sure that the borrowed points get used up in June, leaving you with only current points for later in the UY.

Last edited:
You can do what you're describing. Borrow your 2018 points to book March 2018, then if you have to push March out to June, bank your 2017 points. Your borrowed 2018 points are stuck in 2017, but you'd reallocate those onto your June 2017 trip, returning an equal # of 2017 points to your account. Once you cancel a res, the points just go back to normal -- that does not prevent you from banking them.

What I'd do, is the instant you have your March 2018 trip booked, I would call MS and have them do the reallocation, to make sure the borrowed 2018 points are being used on the June trip and only current points are being used on the March trip. You want to be absolutely sure that the borrowed points get used up in June, leaving you with only current points for later in the UY.
Thank you!!!!!!

No you aren't. You're banking 2016 points and using 2017 for a trip in your 2017 use year.

Read this:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

You're correct, I mistyped, thank you for catching that. We are using banked 2016 points and a few 2017 points for our June reservation in our June use year. My bigger concern was whether I would somehow be forced to use the rest of the June 2017 points in the 2017 use year if I used them to book a March 2017 reservation and then cancelled the March reservation at least before our banking deadline of Nov. 2017.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter