Bank-borrow-cancel

Apixarfan

Earning My Ears
I’m guessing someone somewhere has already addressed this question but I can’t seem to find an answer that I feel confident in,

I have a 150 point contract with a March Use Year. I used all of this year‘s points already and borrowed 22 points from UY23 so I have 128 UY23 points available for now.

I am trying to plan a March 2023 trip now but there’s maybe a 25% chance we will need to cancel with just a 2 month notice ahead of time. My question is what happens in these two scenarios:

If we need to borrow ahead 22 points or less from UY24 and have to cancel... Can we bank up to 150 points to UY24 because our contract is for 150, or would the 1-22 borrowed points be “stuck” in UY23 and we can only bank the 128 normal points available To UY24?

In a similar vein, if we borrow ahead more than 22 UY24 points and cancel our UY23 trip, can we bank 150 (128 normal plus 22 we borrowed from UY24) because we have a 150 point contract, or can we only bank the 128 normal points (and must use all the 23+ borrowed points in UY23)?

I hope this makes sense. I’m still pretty new to DVC and this seems the only nuance I haven’t figured out yet.

I’m guessing someone somewhere has already addressed this question but I can’t seem to find an answer that I feel confident in,

I have a 150 point contract with a March Use Year. I used all of this year‘s points already and borrowed 22 points from UY23 so I have 128 UY23 points available for now.

I am trying to plan a March 2023 trip now but there’s maybe a 25% chance we will need to cancel with just a 2 month notice ahead of time. My question is what happens in these two scenarios:

If we need to borrow ahead 22 points or less from UY24 and have to cancel... Can we bank up to 150 points to UY24 because our contract is for 150, or would the 1-22 borrowed points be “stuck” in UY23 and we can only bank the 128 normal points available To UY24?

In a similar vein, if we borrow ahead more than 22 UY24 points and cancel our UY23 trip, can we bank 150 (128 normal plus 22 we borrowed from UY24) because we have a 150 point contract, or can we only bank the 128 normal points (and must use all the 23+ borrowed points in UY23)?

I hope this makes sense. I’m still pretty new to DVC and this seems the only nuance I haven’t figured out yet.
Borrowing is a one-way deal. Banking is not based on how many points your contract is for. It is based on how many of the existing UY's points you have remaining.

So in your case, your 2023 UY has 128 points that could be banked into 2024 because you borrowed 22 points into 2022.

If you borrow points from 2024 and then cancel, those points remain in your 2023 UY and cannot be banked into 2024. They will expire after February 29, 2024 (because 2024 is a leap year).

Last edited:
You can only bank current year points. Borrowing points locks them permanently into that year.

The way I think of it is to first think about the travel time. March 2023 trip takes place in your 2023 UY.

You can use banked 2022 (which you don’t have), 2023 point…128…and borrow from 2024 UY to complete the reservation.

If you cancel more than 31 days out, everything goes back into your 2023 UY…so the only points bankable are the 2023 UY points.

It can be confusing. I think somebody here posted a simplified way of thinking about it: points can move 1 time only.

If you've banked points, then those points can't be borrowed, and they can't be banked a second time.

If you've borrowed points, then those points can't be banked.

as others have said -- your borrowed points are locked in and can't be banked.

But since your UY is march -- you'll have a long time to figure out how to use those points if you don't go in that March trip.

For example, one option is that you can use them to make a rental reservation for someone (can't transfer them since you're not allowed to transfer banked or borrowed points).

The way I think of it is to first think about the travel time. March 2023 trip takes place in your 2023 UY.

You can use banked 2022 (which you don’t have), 2023 point…128…and borrow from 2024 UY to complete the reservation.

If you cancel more than 31 days out, everything goes back into your 2023 UY…so the only points bankable are the 2023 UY points.
And if this trip was canceled 31 days out and because it's in the banking window, the 2023 points could still be banked? The borrowed would be the only left in the 2023 use year permanently?

And if this trip was canceled 31 days out and because it's in the banking window, the 2023 points could still be banked? The borrowed would be the only left in the 2023 use year permanently?
Correct. Current UY points could be banked, borrowed points would be stuck.

It can be confusing. I think somebody here posted a simplified way of thinking about it: points can move 1 time only.

If you've banked points, then those points can't be borrowed, and they can't be banked a second time.

If you've borrowed points, then those points can't be banked.
NICE! This is an incredibly simplified way to think about it that makes SO much sense! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter