Balancing Resort Time with Parks and Disney Springs

Hey folks,

Something my family has always struggled with is balancing time spent in the parks along with resort and Disney Springs time. Now that we stay at nicer resorts we need some tips on building balance into our trips. We are always tempted to spend all our time in the parks and then feel like we don't get the most out of our resort. What are some tips and tricks people use? We like a bit of commando style touring but want to add more relaxation to our trips now that we own DVC. Also, how do folks throw Disney Springs into the mix? I always feel like we have not made the most of the springs but we are not big shoppers on vacation.

Feel free to weigh in with a COVID perspective or a non COVID perspective.

After going x number of times, the parks are now secondary for us. Our last trip we stayed at POFQ and I intentionally booked dinner at disney springs on our last night so we'd go.

We usually do short stays though, so I feel compelled to get the parks in....this next trip is going to be about a week so we can be more leisurely....assuming the world isn't on fire. And I booked a nice resort, so that I'm reminded to SLOW DOWN.

I am more likely to go to disney springs if I'm staying at POR/POFQ....I like the boat ride.

The parks are our main interest. If we decide to leave a park early and go to Disney Springs, we do. There isn't a ton there that interests me anymore. We like do like The Void, but I really miss Disney Quest. If it was still open, I am sure we would schedule some time there.

For some of us, it is just how we vacation in general or our state of minds for WDW. I put the bare minimum into my WDW plans. I try to plan no more than 4-6 hours of my day at WDW. Sometimes those plans include specific FP+ or ADRs, but sometimes it is as simple as wanting to ride a specific attraction at night. I make very few ADRs because I tend to cancel or change them once I am at WDW. I make all my FP+, but I rarely keep them the same the day of. This means I am likely to cancel and do something else.

If you have to plan things, then plan a late morning or early evening at the resort or a mid-day break at your resort or DS. I like to have a day where I do not have any plans preset and go with what I feel like doing.

I would like to have more pool time at my resort on trips, but my family doesn't care much about swimming. In February I went with my 10 year old niece, so I got a couple of pool visits in with her. I have had the same thoughts as you OP, but I always end up spending most of my time in the parks or resting up to go back to the parks. I think I need to stop thinking I need to "enjoy" Disney Springs more. I really don't love shopping. I always end up wanting to eat a restaurants that are a long walk from wherever I entered. I do also like the boat ride from Port Orleans though.

Split your days? Have a swim at your resort (or hire a bike, or just wander around); then head to DS for lunch and then onto to a park for the afternoon/evening 'til close (assuming evening hours cooperate!). I like split days, but I would be trying not to have more travelling back and fore than needs be.

ETA: LOL Just realised this is a thread from last summer. :rotfl: Ah wellI - never mind chatting about visiting Disney!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!