Bag to take into the parks???

ChrisMouse

DIS Veteran
I know this probably sounds like a silly question, but this is our first trip with our kids (I cannot wait, it's killing me!) I am used to previous trips, where a small fanny pack was enough to carry into the park, and I wasn't "encumbered".

This time I'm just concerned...can we bring water bottles and snacks into the park, or do they not allow that sort of thing? I just can't remember (prob. wasn't a consideration on my previous trips). The special autograph books I made for DD and DS will fit into a fanny pack, but then I can't put much else in there. **I guess I could make smaller books with the regular blank index cards instead (the ones I made are 6x6).

I guess I'm wondering if I would be better off with a lightweight backpack...for snacks, sunscreen, autograph books, etc. But then will I be sorry and feel encumbered when I want to ride rides and I have a backpack?

Any guidance would be great...these boards are FANTASTIC. I'm home!

I always take a backpack, but I try to pack it as lightly as possible. It does help that I have a stroller though, so when we are walking, I can put it in the basket or hang it over the back.

You might want to consider renting a locker. It has been a while, but I think it is $5 (or $8 for a large one) for the whole day.

Last year at Target, I got one of those insulated lunch bags, but it looked more like a messenger bag and had a pocket for holding other stuff. I can fit a couple of sandwiches/snacks and a couple of water bottles and an ice pack in it, along with money/ID/car keys/camera and it is comfortable and not heavy at all. I don't know if they sell them anymore, but you might check for something like that.

I totally forgot about lockers :rotfl2: I think I'll bring a lightweight backpack for snacks & water, and then put it in the locker when we're headed out of Fantasyland & use my fanny pack at that point...

Thanks for the input. I can't believe how much I need to consider that is so different this trip. Planning for kids, husband...it's crazy!

I'm another who won't have a stroller. I'm wondering about the water areas at DCA. Do most carry extra clothes for the kiddos, set extreme limits, or have them walk around like drowned rats? :rotfl2: Carrying an extra wardrobe doesn't sound fun, yet I'm too cheap to always get a locker. (I think I read the cheapest is $7 now.) I suppose we could plan in when that is and spring for it one day....

the thing w/renting a locker is, that they're at one location, and if you put your stuff in it, and you need it, you'd have to walk all the way back to where the locker is located at. (usually in the front of the park, where you enter). and it's a long trek if you're tired!

w/that being said...i do bring a backpack, fill it w/water bottles. enough for each of us. everyone needs to drink their water, & when that's done, if they're thirsty, then they can get something...like slush or cold treat or whatever. and i also bring in a "foldable, insulated" lunch bag thing, fill it w/sandwiches, & snacks. and by the time lunch rolls around & we eat what's in there, i can fold it up & store it away in my backpack. and if they're hungry, they can get a treat. the fun in going to amusement park is eating...so if i do all that, bring in all my stuff, backpack & all, at least i'm saving $$ and they still get to "eat" amusement park things, like churros or ice cream or whatnot. :flower:

you can bring ANYTHING to be honest. I brought in soap(like 4 bars) once, i bet the CM was confused as hell :P

I did WDW w/5 year old child for the first time last year. We took a bag into the park everyday. Sometimes the big backpack w/snacks, water, tickets, more snacks, hand wipes, rain ponchoes, bandaids, more snackes, camera, video camera, autograph book, etc..... Some days we went light w/only the small camera & some days we went heavy w/everything. We had the umbrella stroller & when she rode - we hung it on the back, but most of the time she was so excited the backpack rode & she walked!

We are planning a trip to DL in December & she will be 7, so no stroller, but I will still take the backpack (both big & small). The snacks & water saved us alot of $ & would hold her off for meals if need be. And it saves us from having a fanny pack, camera bag & snack bag. My husband & I would also take turnes carrying it if need be too!

Good luck on deciding & most of all - have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana: :banana:

I would really like to have the backpack, but do they let you take it with you on rides, etc?

DD(4) is 39.5 inches, so we're going to find some thick soled shoes to hopefully do (some) of the 40" rides. (Skipping Matterhorn and Big Thunder as too wild for her, I think...)

Just wondering how "tied down" I will be by the backpack (but loving the idea of my own waterbottles instead of buying waters--if the Disney prices are the same as Six Flags, $3.50 apiece is going to kill my budget on WATER.)

Thanks for everyone's help!

you can bring ANYTHING to be honest. I brought in soap(like 4 bars) once, i bet the CM was confused as hell :P

Why soap? Is there something you as a CM know that me as a frequent visitor doesn't? ;)

Is it chemicals Disney puts in their soap that makes you want to come back again and again? Kind of like what McDonald's does with their fries. :woohoo:

Well, I can't speak for DL, as I haven't been there yet, but at WDW it wasn't a problem at all. I (or my husband) would wear it on the rides if the seats allowed, put it at our feet, or put a leg into one strap if the ride was a bit faster. Or in WDW (AK) on one of the water rides they had a center part that was waterproof. I Have read here that one of the water rides at DL has free lockers before you go onto the ride. Other wise if the kids aren't big enough, which ever parent doesn't ride, they hold it (of course).

It wasn't a problem at all for us on any rides at WDW & I don't see DL being much different!

It lessens the cost of the trip & saved melt downs alot IMO. I just pre-packed a bag for each day, instead of just food/snacks & grabbing in the morning. I packed a zip lock bag of chips, candy, pretzels, goldfish, etc. A variety whether she wanted candy or actually filling food, she had it. It made long days, enjoyable. She would go from 7am to 11pm w/no nap at age 5, w/little to no melt downs! It really saved us in long lines - she had something to do....eat!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It was nice!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

My DH carries a special backpack with all his camera equipment. I has to weigh over 20 pounds. It amazes me how he does it. He takes it on rides and straps it between his legs with no problem. I have tried everything quite honestly. I have settled on a Baggellini. It is smaller, lightweight and doesn't make my back sweat. It is messenger style. The only thing that I don't like about it is that my cell phone is too big for the compartment in the handle that is provided. Other than that it holds enough.

We always take a backpack. We have learned to load it each day for the day, i.e. water, sunscreen, camera, snacks, tylenol, . . . On most rides there is a net to put the backpack in. After taking a large backpack, we have opted for a smaller one that easily fits in the nets. Don't hesitate to take one. You will be happy you did. ;)

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago on a different thread, but from a man's perspective, I always wear cargo (type) khakki shorts. The extra two pockets (near the knees) comfortably / easily hold our camera & prescription sunglasses (& other things we CANT lose). My wife carries a backpacky purse to carry her stuff & "losable" stuff.

hound :cool2:

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your valuable info about my bag dilemma.

Those of you who have the Bagellini Messenger bag, I have a question for you.

The model in the photo on Ebags is wearing the bag slung across her body from shoulder to opposite hip. Is it comfortable like that? I usually don't like bags that sling over one shoulder because they slide down my arm all the time. This bag, however, if it is long enough to go around my neck so it's across my body might be good...just wondering if it is comfortable like that & if the strap is really long enough to do that? Is it adjustable? I really like the looks of that bag, but would be better off with a regular back pack if it doesn't go all the way over my head like that...I don't want to dish out the money for it and then be forced to use it as a sling bag.

Thanks again for the help.
(I know I'm nuts to already be thinking of packing/bags, etc. but I guess my anticipation is just killing me...):yay:

I just spent an hour reading online reviews (the DISboards are mentioned throughout!)

It is definitely and clearly the bag for me!

Thanks everyone!:banana:

Why soap? Is there something you as a CM know that me as a frequent visitor doesn't? ;)

Is it chemicals Disney puts in their soap that makes you want to come back again and again? Kind of like what McDonald's does with their fries. :woohoo:

lol, well, my mom's friend wanted to go into Disneyland so i had to meet them there. Since i havent gone home for like 3 weeks, i asked my mom to bring me some soap so i didnt have to go out and buy it. So my mom gave it to them. I took them in with the stuff, then hop back onto the shuttle to my car and went home. The quickest DLR trip EVER! 10 sec in the park! :D

I'm glad you said that, I was worried b/c I'll have a boomerang for my friends son, and we're going to be meeting them inside the park so I'll have to bring it with me. I was wondering whether they'd have a problem with it. I couldn't throw it to save my life anyway :rotfl:

I took my first trip to Disney after a long awaited 37 years! My daughter loves Mickey and Donald, and the whole gang! I wanted her trip to be extra special without having to carry so many things. I made her a bag to carry her own autograph book and pens. I even made a strap to hold all her Disney pins! It worked great! I got so many compliments on the invention that now I make and sell them on ebay! Check them out, these bags are a lifesaver!

I took my first trip to Disney after a long awaited 37 years! My daughter loves Mickey and Donald, and the whole gang! I wanted her trip to be extra special without having to carry so many things. I made her a bag to carry her own autograph book and pens. I even made a strap to hold all her Disney pins! It worked great! I got so many compliments on the invention that now I make and sell them on ebay! Check them out, these bags are a lifesaver!

Went to ebay and looked at your bags. Oh my they are so cute !:yay: I wish I had a DD to give one to but my children are grown and no little girls in my family. But what a great idea!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter