Bad coffee at Poly??

CuteKatCar

DIS Veteran
Did I read somewhere on the boards that the Poly has lousy coffee? Was that from the snack bar? Can I get takeout coffee from Kona - and in my refillable mug?

I love my coffee - and I love it even better when it's good!! ;)

Thanks,

Anna

If you're talking about the coffee at Captain Cook's, I didn't think it was so bad - and I'm picky about coffee!

Isn't in room coffee provided daily w/ the coffeemaker?

Kona Cafe offers Kona coffee which is very good if you like strong, full flavored coffee. You can also buy it at the coffee stand next to Kona Cafe by the monorail. The rest of the coffee at the Polynesian is reportedly the same coffee served almost everywhere at WDW these days. I don't care for it but I drink mostly tea anyway. The Polynesian used to use that really common restaurant brand...Sexton I think. I liked that and miss it.

Other places besides Kona Cafe that serve real coffee that I know of include V&A and Boma.

PaulaJ coffeemakers aren't in the rooms at the Polynesian although you can request one from Mousekeeping.

The good coffee at the Poly is 100% Kona Coffee served at the Kona Cafe and its attached coffee stand. The Kona Coffee is served in a Press Pot and it is $7.00 - It is not free for a refillable mug - You have to go to Captain Cooks for that. The coffee at Captain Cooks is reasonable - better than instant - but not as good as the Kona!

Boma does indeed serve excellent coffee as well - but it's 100% Kenyan Coffee in a press pot - same price. Also not free for refillable mugs (you have to go to Mara for that at AKL)

The coffeemakers in room are mini sized (2-4 cup) and need to be requested from mousekeeping. On our first night at AKL we received brewable coffee. After that it was instant coffee and instant creamer (to get the real stuff you had to buy it at the Mara or the gift shop)

Is that $7...a cup? Wow. Can you at least get two cups out of one press pot in the Cafe?

I would say that a pot makes 3-4 cups of coffee. My DH & I usually share a pot for breakfast so the price is not as bad as it seems - plus it is well worth it!

The $7 pot does make 3-4 cups. Just understand that this is not grocery-store coffee. If your definition of good coffee is dark and very strong, then you will like it. I think some may say it's "bad coffee" because they like their coffee weak. Of course, I am a Kona fan, so we go to Kona Cafe and order a press pot for me before hitting the MK. Talk about a caffeine jolt! Oh, I hope I get to have some in Sept.

Thanks for all the info!! The pot sounds great. I usually drink 3 cups in the morning - but I'm not usually running off to theme parks ;) !. I may have to just grab one in my mug and go (do I sound commando??).

Anna

$7 for 3 to 4 cups of quality coffee is worth it. Would Kona blink an eye if you ordered just coffee and something to be shared? I'm not a big breakfast eater, but a big coffee drinker. Do you need PS's for breakfast ? Is there a long line at breakfast?

The Kona Cafe is a full service restaurant. They serve many light breakfast items (cereal/oatmeal, pastries, fresh fruit, & yogurt) and would not object if you wanted a light breakfast.
You may need a PS depending on what time you plan to eat & how busy a time of year it is. (Kona is also home to the Tonga Toast - a banana stuffed french toast that many on this board swoon over)

Another option is to get your coffee at the coffee bar right outside the dining room of the Kona Cafe - they also serve espresso, cappuccino and lattes as well as the famous Kona coffee.

I just have to add- I normally HATE coffee unless it has plenty of milk, sugar and sometimes chocolate init, but straight black kona coffee definately changed my mind- it was great- and VERY energizing. I plan to stop by the Cafe just for the coffee this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter