Bad back and Harry Potter rides

jpkkld

Mouseketeer
A few weeks ago, I asked about the ride experience for the HP rides, considering the challenges a person with a bad back might experience. Overwhelmingly, the concensus was that Gringotts was "milder".

My mother, DD, and I just got home from 3 awesome days, and I want to clarify that Forbidden Journey is FAR gentler than Gringotts, for back pain specifically.

It sounds like a lot of people are affected by motion sickness. This really has nothing to do with the physical events that impact the back - hard stops and starts, bouncing on the tailbone, sharp turns sideways. For motion sickness, Gringotts is certainly milder. However, there are 2 hard start/stop movements and a few sharp spins. I rode with my eyes closed to learn where to cue my mother to brace herself. It was a rather interesting experience! DD and I also noted that the 1st cart (rows 1-3) is more of a controlled movement (slightly smoother), while the 2nd cart (rows 4-6) gets pulled by the 1st cart (slightly jerkier).

FJ is entirely gentler. There are no hard stops or starts. The parts that allow you to slide upwards in your seat also include a gentle slide back down. There are a couple sharp sideways turns, but if you tuck your arms in along your sides, it helps minimize the twisting, wrenching motion of a side spin.

Definitely try the test seats to feel how secure you are in the ride vehicle. Gringotts does a good job holding the tailbone down (no bouncing). FJ does better at keeping your upper body stationary. The FJ outer seats are wider than the inner seats. The inner seats may be preferable to constrict movement.

We learned FJ also has a stationary loading area with no moving floor. This was key to riding, as mom could not have managed the logistics of the moving floor at all! There's a certain amount of twisting when stepping onto that conveyor belt. I will say, the mechanism they use to merge the stationary cart into the sequence is really cool.

My mom enjoys rides a lot, but full coasters are too much for her now. She was thrilled to find the HP simulator rides were well within her ability, and she kept up with DD and me for 3 park days, with no pain, no rough mornings, and the ability to walk many miles each day. She even upgraded to an annual pass!

I hope this helps someone with their ride decision making.

Thanks for taking the time to leave tips for others. Can you elaborate on the type of bad back you are referring to for your analysis?
I do like how the Gringotts seats bind your calves for support. That allowed me to clinch up and make my core and back ready for the big drops. That flexing helped keep my pinched nerve stable. The sliding around the seat of FJ was still OK for my back, just not as stable, imo.

Thank you for this info!! I will be taking DM for her 74th birthday next month. She has ridden both FJ and Gringotts and loved them both. I have not ridden FOH. What are your thought on that ride? She is a huge Harry Potter fan and might get a kick out of seeing Hagrid's Hut. She currently does not have a back problem, but has had issues in the past (a bulging disc that gave her pain about 10 years ago).

I find it interesting how the nuances can really make or break a ride experience!

More info: Mom was a HS art teacher and rarely sat down. She wore cheap shoes and has a compressed spine now. She has shrunk almost 3 inches. She's carrying extra weight and that impacts her stamina, but did not affect the fit of the restraints (green light right away).

I think she also has a bulging disc that occasionally twinges.

The FJ sliding is an interesting problem. Personally, I was able to "lock" myself in, just by tucking my arms right next to my body. It's not the natural position, but it can work if you're a larger person. Skinny folks - bring some robes to tuck around you. :goodvibes

Mama&one, Hippogryff is possibly my least favorite ride ever. I call it a cramped, teeth-rattling, whiplash-inducing, nauseating minute of torture. Kiddie coasters are just not big enough - the bench seats are hard to keep from squashing your seat partner, and the spirals are too tight. I love a good coaster, but this is not one of those.

YMMV, though - DD absolutely loves Hippogryff, even at 12.

Definitely walk the queue - you can get a nice picture of the castle. And do ride at least once, to test for your mom. Don't wait more than 10 minutes though!

Definitely walk the queue - you can get a nice picture of the castle. And do ride at least once, to test for your mom. Don't wait more than 10 minutes though!

Thank you so much for your response! I will take your advice.

My MIL has back issues and osteoporosis. She did all 3 attractions without an issue. She is 70.
I rode Gringotts and Hippogriff and both were quite smooth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter