Background check protocol--UPDATE -- I GOT IT!

Most companies would not spend the money on a background check if they had no intention of considering you for the position at all.

When I was looking for a job, there was this one very large company that sent in requests for the information needed to start a background check. I'd received a lot of these requests too, although I wasn't sure of which request corresponded to which job listing. One time I was in contact with a recruiter whose job was to find candidates for any job, rather than being assigned jobs to recruit for. I think once he even made a request for the background check request without a particular job that I was interviewing for. He said that the process was kind of slow and sometimes they made requests well in advance.

I interviewed at this company a lot. I'd typically get a request for this same background check info and consent before each interview. They also had a note saying that if a previous form was submitted less than six months ago, it could be ignored since they already had what they needed. Once I got one request before an interview but I ignored it since I had interviewed with the company multiple times. After the interview I got a reminder even though the 3 day deadline had passed, so I figured I was in strong consideration. Still - I wonder if I should have just filled it in one more time anyways.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with me!! I appreciate you taking the time to tell me what your employers do. The consensus seems to be that I should not get my hopes up but I could still be in the running. if I don't get it, I can try again. The good takeaway is that I had two interviews and got one offer and am finalist for another so my interview game is tight, lol. At least that is what I'll tell myself to cheer myself up if I lose out on this one. I will update this thread if you are interested. :)

Well, when you're wondering what's up... Never hurts to try. Kinda strange that if their contact said anything that she'd have been allowed in the on the interview... no?
I would be surprised if the contact weren't in the interview. I've been involved with hiring and someone who brings in an applicant is always there for the interview in my experience.

The contact is on the team that needs this position so even though they knew I was referred by them I guess they got to be there too. I agree it was unorthodox but it helped to hav a familiar face in a gang interview! I'd love to ask but if the answer is that I'm not the one, it's not fair to put them on the spot.

In my line of work (and in my current location), they have to show they have interviewed 3 people, even if they are 100% sure they are hiring the boss's son. It is aggravating. I have already found out one of my recent interviews I was a "stand in" as they already knew who they wanted.

I decided to start viewing my interviews as "practice experiences" and every interview was one more practice towards the goal.

I was offered a new job last week, so I guess I was NOT the stand in for that interview!

Last edited:
In my line of work, they have to show they have interviewed 3 people, even if they are 100% sure they are hiring the boss's son. It is aggravating. I have already found out one of my recent interviews I was a "stand in" as they already knew who they wanted.

I decided to start viewing my interviews as "practice experiences" and every interview was one more practice towards the goal.

I was offered a new job last week, so I guess I was NOT the stand in for that interview!

I've been strung along before. Once I had a pretty good phone interview with the hiring manager, who said I should expect to be contacted by one of his subordinates for a longer phone interview. After a few weeks I was wondering what happened. I contacted him once and got no answer. I tried again in a week and he said that they had already hired someone. So I'm guessing they had someone already but were going through the motions in case he turned them down. He did say that my name would be considered if a similar position was posted, but nothing ever happened.

In my company they don't do a background check unless an offer is going to be made then the offer is contingent on passing a drug screen.

It's hard to say where you stand with job A. Internal candidates definitely have an edge, as they should. But, if they feel you would be a better fit, you could get the job. A friend was up for a job against an internal candidate and got the job. Once she was hired she found out through the grapevine that the internal candidate was not well liked and was perceived to have a "bad attitude" so they went with my friend.

Another thought is that they may offer you a different position that they feel you are qualified for.

It's all a big mystery. I bet if they call me to take a drug test I still won't know where I actually stand, so this may drag out a couple of weeks but maybe it will be like SC Minnie's company, where at that point they might make an offer to SOMEONE. :) On the one hand, I want to work at a company that hires from within! That is great. On the other, I want this job, lol. Can't have it both ways though. We'll see what happens!

DawnM, congrats on your new job! Way to represent former stand ins everywhere!

It's common practice to interview additional candidates, even though you already have someone in mind for the position internally. Sometimes the hiring process is a lot slower than you'd like and I wouldn't be surprised if a Company ran background checks on all applicants. It's also possible that they decided not to fill the position at this time, and put it on the back burner.

Not necessarily - every company has different policies and the OP has no way to second-guess them. Ours, for instance, absolutely requires that any opening be posted internally before the general competition opens. But here's the thing - if an internal candidate was available, qualified and interested, there wouldn't be any general competition.
Same here, but a job also has to be posted externally, and outside candidates have to be considered. Not sure if that is corporate policy, or the law. I always assumed it was the law.
All applications go to HR. HR does a background check, and only those candidates who pass that check get their application forwarded to the person doing the hiring.
Only other step, and this is a new one, is salary requirements/expectations are discussed in the first phone interview. Managers got burned on flying in candidates and finding out their salary requirements/expectations were more than we were paying.

When we have a candidate come in for an interview, if there is ANY chance that we will be offering a position, we issue the paperwork for drug testing and try to have them go that same day - we allow a max of 72 hours for it to be done. And we have them sign the paperwork for the background check & driver history.

As soon as we get the verification that they have gone to the drug testing facility, we submit the background check. (Our ads indicate that we perform testing, and we mention it in phone interviews, but I think some people don't really believe it until they get here -- and so they never go because they know they'll fail) The cost testing is actually quite low compared to the other costs of hiring that it is worth getting it done right away rather than having a hire be delayed later.

These responses are so interesting. I thought it was law that a conditional offer of employment had to be made before a drug test can be required. It's really just all over the place though.

When we have a candidate come in for an interview, if there is ANY chance that we will be offering a position, we issue the paperwork for drug testing and try to have them go that same day - we allow a max of 72 hours for it to be done. And we have them sign the paperwork for the background check & driver history.

As soon as we get the verification that they have gone to the drug testing facility, we submit the background check. (Our ads indicate that we perform testing, and we mention it in phone interviews, but I think some people don't really believe it until they get here -- and so they never go because they know they'll fail) The cost testing is actually quite low compared to the other costs of hiring that it is worth getting it done right away rather than having a hire be delayed later.

I wonder what percentage of employers do ( or don't) do drug testing. My sense is most do.

I wonder what percentage of employers do ( or don't) do drug testing. My sense is most do.

In my entire career I've only had one employment-related drug test. I had a job offer in hand pending a physical, which included the physician doing a urine test on the spot. Strangely enough I got a better offer and didn't take that job. I've been in groups that were bought out and the new employer did everything but request a drug test. I suppose the employee handbooks typically had some language that a drug test might be requested at any time, but I've had multiple employers and never actually did a drug test for a job where I actually worked.

In my entire career I've only had one employment-related drug test. I had a job offer in hand pending a physical, which included the physician doing a urine test on the spot. Strangely enough I got a better offer and didn't take that job. I've been in groups that were bought out and the new employer did everything but request a drug test. I suppose the employee handbooks typically had some language that a drug test might be requested at any time, but I've had multiple employers and never actually did a drug test for a job where I actually worked.
My current job I got in 2005 and I had to do a drug test. Funny thing is, they needed me to start the day they made the job offer, but I had to wait a week for the test to come back.
The previous job I got in 1989, no drug test.
The job before that I got in 1979, no drug test then either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter