Back to Royal Caribbean after a decade

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
So we've been away from cruising for about a decade. First we were putting our kids through college, then Covid hit us. Now we're retired and are looking to "make up for lost time". I just booked a cheap cruise for September -- I'm going to love being able to travel any time! But we've been away for some time, and our lives are somewhat different now. I have some very specific questions before we cruise. THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone who can help us.

- I understand we need to prove we are Covid vaxxed. No problem. But we ALSO need to have a test within two days of boarding? The lengthy document provided by RC contradicts itself at least twice. Is the easiest thing to go to Walgreen's and have a rapid test two days before? Then bring a negative print-out from Walgreen's?
- We'll be cruising out of Miami. I sort of remember that they have -- had? -- free handicapped parking at their terminal. This didn't apply to us years ago, but now my husband has some mobility problems, and we do have a handicapped tag on our car. Any information?
- My husband likes to drink beer, and the drink package would probably be a wise choice for him. Thing is, I'll drink 3-4 cocktails over the course of the 8-night cruise; I don't drink fancy coffees or juice. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, but is it possible to buy the package for him and let me pay "as I go"? Or do they still demand that everyone in the room has a package?
- Would they allow me to order the alcoholic-package for him and the soda package for me? If so, do they offer Diet Dr. Pepper on the ship now?
- RC allows two bottles of wine ... per person or per stateroom?
- Will I have any problem bringing soda cans from home?
- We like the lemonade and fruit punch that they used to serve in the Windjammer -- but we're now a diabetic family. Do they offer sugar-free?
- What are they charging for Spin Classes now?
- Do they still offer the wash-everything-in-this-bag for one price mid-way through the cruise?
- How do people tend to dress in the main dining room for dinner? I know the stated expectations -- I'm asking what's done.
- For a while Room Service was charging a delivery fee after X:00. Still true?
- Any advice on shore excursions on these islands? I've been poking around a bit online, and I don't see anything particularly exciting. Kralendijk, Bonaire ... Wilemstad, Curacao ... Oranjestad, Aruba
- What might I find surprising about RCCL having been away for a while?

Again, THANKS for any help y'all can give.

Last edited:
Hello Mrs. Pete,

I can answer 1.5 of your questions.

As of our last RCCL cruise in August 2021, they still did the wash-everything-in-the-bag special about halfway through the cruise.

For the main dining room, my husband and I wore business casual type clothing. The passengers next to us wore about the same, maybe a bit more formal.

Hello Mrs. Pete,

I can answer 1.5 of your questions.

As of our last RCCL cruise in August 2021, they still did the wash-everything-in-the-bag special about halfway through the cruise.

For the main dining room, my husband and I wore business casual type clothing. The passengers next to us wore about the same, maybe a bit more formal.
Thanks, Sehsun, for the 1.5 answers!

So we've been away from cruising for about a decade. First we were putting our kids through college, then Covid hit us. Now we're retired and are looking to "make up for lost time". I just booked a cheap cruise for September -- I'm going to love being able to travel any time! But we've been away for some time, and our lives are somewhat different now. I have some very specific questions before we cruise. THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone who can help us.

- I understand we need to prove we are Covid vaxxed. No problem. But we ALSO need to have a test within two days of boarding? The lengthy document provided by RC contradicts itself at least twice. Is the easiest thing to go to Walgreen's and have a rapid test two days before? Then bring a negative print-out from Walgreen's?
- We'll be cruising out of Miami. I sort of remember that they have -- had? -- free handicapped parking at their terminal. This didn't apply to us years ago, but now my husband has some mobility problems, and we do have a handicapped tag on our car. Any information?
- My husband likes to drink beer, and the drink package would probably be a wise choice for him. Thing is, I'll drink 3-4 cocktails over the course of the 8-night cruise; I don't drink fancy coffees or juice. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, but is it possible to buy the package for him and let me pay "as I go"? Or do they still demand that everyone in the room has a package?
- Would they allow me to order the alcoholic-package for him and the soda package for me? If so, do they offer Diet Dr. Pepper on the ship now?
- We like the lemonade and fruit punch that they used to serve in the Windjammer -- but we're now a diabetic family. Do they offer sugar-free?
- Do they still offer the wash-everything-in-this-bag for one price mid-way through the cruise?
- How do people tend to dress in the main dining room for dinner? I know the stated expectations -- I'm asking what's done.
- Any advice on shore excursions on these islands? I've been poking around a bit online, and I don't see anything particularly exciting. Kralendijk, Bonaire ... Wilemstad, Curacao ... Oranjestad, Aruba

The rapid test from Walgreens would be fine.
I believe you may be able to call and they will allow you to purchase 1 alcohol and 1 no package, but I haven't had to do that so it may vary by who you get on the phone. What ship are you sailing on? They probably have the Coke Freestyle machines, it's all coke products any way. Including many sugar free options in the machines.
I did not see any sugar free options in Windjammer (other than ice water), they had flavoured water, lemonade, iced tea (which I think is unsweetened?)
How people dress varies, we saw all types last week, from casual clothes to fancy ballgowns, I think whatever you are comfortable in will be fine.
Room service is only free for the continental breakfast, everything else has a fee of $7.95.

What do you enjoy doing on excursions? Curacao has some exciting stuff like turtle swims and cliff jumping, but if you'd prefer a beach or historical type of tour that may not suit. ABC islands are some that are very highly recommended though.

One thing that you may like is that the muster drill is much simplified, you watch two videos and then attend your station to sign in. No standing out on deck for ages while they show you how to put on the life jacket or anything like that. If you normally like to do my time dining you should know it starts at 6:45 now on most ships, and can have really long lines. Most people I see recommend against it.

We always fly to Florida so I can't help with your parking questions.

Lots of good info - thanks!
- We're decided against the beverage package -- just too expensive.
- We've also decided to stick to water and/or bring our own little individual powdered drink tubes so we'll know we're getting sugar free. I watched a couple You Tube videos of the Windjammer /paused as they passed the drinks (does this mean my life is totally boring or that I'm excited about the cruise?) and I couldn't see anything marked Sugar-Free.
- We're still wide open on shore excursions, but swimming with turtles sounds fun. I'll look into it.
- Yes, I read about the new, reduced muster drill. I am sure we'll love that.
- I have enjoyed My Time Dining in the past, but I don't like the news you're sharing -- we tend to eat late, so that part's okay, but I'm not into the long lines.

THANKS.

The wash all in bag option was $35 for our cruise last week - I know, as we had to use it after buying clothes the day of the cruise due to airline misplacing our luggage.
(just ask your room attendant for the bag - I don't think it's included by default in the room)

While some people did dress up for dinner, I felt it was more casual than our last prior cruise in 2018. Unfortunately, none of our nicer clothes made it to the ship due to the aforementioned luggage issues, but most others were casual as well.

When you do check in there will be place to insert a photo of yourself. this may or may not speed up your process once in the terminal. had it go both ways. In the APP on your phone (makes life much easier) you can take pictures of your Vacc. card to download to your check in. We have been on 6 cruises since cruising resumed last July and we always do the at home proctored testing that takes 15 minutes and you get results to your phone but we also print the results because sometimes internet is sketchy at the terminal and can be hard to pull up.

https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean-tests/

Haven't done this personally but have read where others have mentioned the free handicapped parking at the port.

You can get him a DX Pkg. and you beverage but you have to call and explain why. Can't be done online. Beers are around $7.50/ea. If also going to CoCo Cay or Labadee on your voyage any beverage Pkg. your purchase works on their Islands as well. Not sure when you are cruising but they frequently have sales on the Pkgs. Black Friday commonly known as the best sale.

If you find THE KEY on sale ( around $24/Day) this may interest you? gives you internet, free room service, reserved seating area for shows, etc. along with a couple extra perks.

We do not go all out formal on Captain's night personally. we find it too inconvenient to bring those extra clothes for such a small timeframe of usage. It is not called formal night anymore it is referred to as dress your best. I usually wear a Polo Shirt and Khakis.

After 10 years away there are some huge ships sailing now and find them awesome. some people prefer smaller but we love the huge ones personally.

Always try to find a Facebook group for your sailing if you are on Facebook. If not I recommend you join for just this reason. Mostly because that means there are that many more eyes on YOUR particular cruise watching for everything like Cruise planner sales, cabin price drops where you may get a reduced fare or Onboard credit if after PIF date, also events like sail away parties, slot pulls, bar crawls, meet and mingles, etc. Great way to meet new cruising friends. Have met MANY that we booked cruises with just to cruise in again in groups.

Enjoy retirement! WE ARE! 8-)

Also there is a new ship Icon of the Seas that will be sailing in Fall of 2023. Everyone is waiting for her itineraries to be released.

Hello fellow cruiser! We are sailing from FLL to Aruba, Curacao, and Labadee in two weeks! Hopefully I can remember to report back about anything noteworthy. I've been to Aruba and Labadee and looking forward to Curacao!

We used Walgreens to take the NAAT (????) rapid test for our Alaskan cruise. Easy peasy! I will make our appointment for our upcoming cruise next week. You just drive up, provide some information, do the swab, drive away, and in a couple hours - your results are in your email. Walgreens had some technical problems week or so ago. While I don't anticipate this being an issue again, I do know you can have Walgreens print out the results for you.

I also bring both digital and hard copies of everything. I actually just showed hard copies in Seattle. It was quick and easy.

When I started cruising years ago, luggage tags were given to us. Now, you print them out. You probably needed to do this 10 years ago - not sure. But I spend $7 for the plastic covers. I always have a fear of not getting my luggage (sorry for you IndyToThere).

Agreed, the new muster is fantastic - except for the idiots that fail to show up at their assigned spot. Announcements were made about the late people holding up sail away.

I am debating if I want to bring a couple of wine bottles aboard next time. 3 years ago, I brought some. One of the bottles broke when my NEW suitcase fell out of the car. At least it was white wine.

Not sure on what ship you are sailing, but you may need to make reservations for a show(s). On Ovation, we only had to make a reservation for one show. We reserved a ride on the North Star directly with a crew member in charge of it. On Allure, I am pretty sure we will need reservations for a few of the shows. At this time, you are only able to make a reservation on the app once you board. You don't need to buy the internet package to make them.

That is all I can think of at the moment. I love cruise/Disney talk. So feel free to ask me anything. I may not have an answer, but I will try.

Thanks for the info:
- I'm feeling good about the requirements for Covid. We're already vaxxed and boosted and have our cards "ready". We've written Covid test at Walgreens on the calendar.
- Yes to printing hard copies of everything -- we know from the past, it's just easier.
- No, I've never needed to print my own luggage tags, but not a big deal.
- We'll bring wine, but we'll double-ziplock it -- I had a bottle break in my suitcase many years ago (I was in college, and it was a road trip, not a cruise -- but, yes, I know the pain of a suitcase that smells like rum). We've found a few ziplocks are handy anyway.
- Muster 2.0 sounds great.

THANKS!

Update!!!
Walgreens now charges $130 for the test. This was an unexpected change for us cruisers. We only have a few days to go before our cruise. So I am trying an online proctored test. I hope we are able to board with the company I used.

So much stress!
Our airport is under construction. Will we make it to the airport check in counter without incident? Will our flight be canceled? Will my COVID test be accepted? I am regretting this trip. I should have added days to Disney and skipped the second cruise. Our Alaska sailing went very smoothly.

Update!!!
Walgreens now charges $130 for the test. This was an unexpected change for us cruisers. We only have a few days to go before our cruise. So I am trying an online proctored test. I hope we are able to board with the company I used.

So much stress!
Our airport is under construction. Will we make it to the airport check in counter without incident? Will our flight be canceled? Will my COVID test be accepted? I am regretting this trip. I should have added days to Disney and skipped the second cruise. Our Alaska sailing went very smoothly.
Optum.com is the one that RCL sent out last July when cruising resumed. We have always used the proctored tests and have cruised 5 times with number 6 later this week. However I am sure many tests are acceptable. Wishing you the best outcome on your trip.

Optum.com is the one that RCL sent out last July when cruising resumed. We have always used the proctored tests and have cruised 5 times with number 6 later this week. However I am sure many tests are acceptable. Wishing you the best outcome on your trip.
Thank you! I feel much better today. After doing more research, I realized the testing situation will be just fine. I should not have been so surprised yesterday as I knew changes are always happening. Regardless, MY BOAT WAS ROCKED!! :) Back into smoother waters, now.

Thank you! I feel much better today. After doing more research, I realized the testing situation will be just fine. I should not have been so surprised yesterday as I knew changes are always happening. Regardless, MY BOAT WAS ROCKED!! :) Back into smoother waters, now.
Awesome. Happy Cruising. We leave out Friday.

I'll answer the ones I can for you!

As of today the requirement is 2 days prior to departure. So if you depart Saturday you can test Thursday. The easiest option is the proctored at home test @disneynutz mentioned. You can probably get your insurance to pay for it by submitting for reimbursement.

- My husband likes to drink beer, and the drink package would probably be a wise choice for him. Thing is, I'll drink 3-4 cocktails over the course of the 8-night cruise; I don't drink fancy coffees or juice. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, but is it possible to buy the package for him and let me pay "as I go"? Or do they still demand that everyone in the room has a package? Would they allow me to order the alcoholic-package for him and the soda package for me? If so, do they offer Diet Dr. Pepper on the ship now?
Everyone is required to have the same package unless you can prove some medical limitations, then they may let you get the non-alcohol package. Beer is about $5-8, Cocktails run $12-13, Wine $8+. If you both have to get the package he'd need to drink a lot of beer to make it worth it. Depending on what ship you're on, if you get the soda package you have access to the Coke Freestyle machines which will have Diet Dr. Pepper. Unsure about the bars having it though. Not likely.

Two bottles per stateroom

I've seen 12 packs in peoples rooms. You may have to carry them on in a suitcase, but you may be able to check it with the porters too.

The complementary Mango, Lemon-lime, and Kiwi-Strawberry are all sugar free, but these aren't available everywhere all the time. The iced tea is unsweetened too and is more commonly available. The Fruit punch and lemon-aid are not sugar free.

Yes, last week it was $35 I believe.

Broad mix, but on an 8 night I'd expect less families and more "smart casual" dress vs. t-shirts.

Continental breakfast is free. All other room service has a flat $7.99 fee whether you order two cookies or 5 burgers.

You have to ask for paper cruise compasses and menus. They really push the app, especially on ships that have been refurbished or are newer.

You'll most likely do your pre-cruise check-in on the app as well and use your phone to board.

They also push pre-purchase for internet, drinks, etc.. It is cheaper to buy before you board. I haven't noticed as much sales pressure once onboard as I was 3-5 years ago.

Enjoy!

Everyone is required to have the same package unless you can prove some medical limitations, then they may let you get the non-alcohol package.
You do not need to "prove" anything. Simply call, tell them your traveling companion doesn't drink alcohol, but you'd like to get them a non-alcoholic package, and they'll book it. This can not be done online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter