Back on the Disney train! Low seasons?

Discussion in 'Welcome to the DIS' started by Hamm&Eggz, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hamm&Eggz

Hamm&Eggz Earning My Ears

Hi all,

A year ago I inherited DVC points and did my first trip to WDW as an adult in several decades. Epcot '82-88 were important parts of my formative years (the smell of oranges at Horizons!), and I had nearly forgotten how awesome the experience was. Of course, now we're planning on making these trips a semi-regular occurrence!

Question: Is there a true "low season" anymore?

I remember as an 80s kid there would be days when the parks were virtually empty and all line ups were non existent. I can't imagine that being the case nowadays unless you're there at the tail end of a hurricane (as we were last time).

Cheers,
    H&E

2. 73 Ranchero

73 Ranchero Earning My Ears

We found that the last two weeks in Jan and the 1st week in Feb and the 1st week in Dec are good times to go. We also have found (but not as good the last few years) the 1st week in May and the middle of Oct are ok tomes.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Hamm&Eggz

Thanks for that insight! We originally thought that Superbowl wkend would be quiet (as people would be in front of their TVs), but looking at some vlogs, the exact opposite appears to be true. And now with Galaxy's Edge opening.. who knows?!

5. VRguy

VRguy Earning My Ears

We've been the first week of May before and didnt find it too crowded. There were still crowds, but nothing like Spring Break.

6. Wild4Walt

Wild4Walt DIS Veteran

We've done 2nd week of May and crowds were low to moderate - very manageable. Last year we did the week after Labor Day and it was pretty slow. Longest wait times ( outside of FoP, Navi and SDD ) wait times were only around 10-15 minutes.

I, too, remember the days when you could go and there was almost no wait times. I think with SWGE, those days are gone for awhile.

7. Hamm&Eggz

Any experience with a low season in the winter, to take advantage of the less-hot weather? Would there be a window of opportunity after Halloween and before Xmas?

8. VRguy

VRguy Earning My Ears

I would like to know this as well. Hopefully someone can chime in with some good advice.

9. Angela Aulis

Angela Aulis Earning My Ears

Is September still considered a low season? I'm looking for some good advice as well.

10. Hamm&Eggz

I just went through the DVC points calendar, and the first 2 weeks of September and the first 2 weeks of December are considered "low season". Whether that translates as significantly less crowds at the parks remains to be seen. Note that the last time I was at WDW was in September 2017, literally 1-2 days after hurricane Irma and we whizzed through all the major rides in every park in about half a day. FoP was "only" a 2.5 hour line.

11. Crygon

Crygon Earning My Ears

We've found that the more people research the best time to go, the more busy the "low" seasons are. September used to be great but that stopped a few years ago. Then the first few weeks of December were good, now they're just okay. The end of January and beginning of February are starting to go away too. The week after the Pro Bowl still seems good, unless a marathon lines up with those weekends.

I'm hoping it's cyclical and we'll have people realizing that it wasn't worth taking the kids out of school to go to the busy "low" times.

12. Crygon

Crygon Earning My Ears

Oh... also, Welcome Home. DVC has been amazing for us. I'm jealous that you inherited the points.