Baby Monitor

Ummm when the batteries died and needed to be replaced in the remote unit. LOL!

I seriously intended to replace them, but then I couldn;t locate that tiny, tiny, tiny screwdriver that all children's toy battery compartments seem to have.

Later I found the screwdriver, but had gotten so used to using my ears. Plus her room is next to ours, and we always crack her door at night.

We use the 2 room idigital monitor from graco for our almost 3 yo and almost 5 yo. Our bedroom is on the first floor on one side of the house and their rooms are on the second floor on the other side. If our room was on the same floor as them, then we may have quit using it by now, but with the layout of our house we would never be able to hear them at night without it. I love this monitor it flips back and forth between rooms at set intervals so we can monitor both rooms at once with one parent receiver. We've had it for 3 years now and hopefully it will hang in there for a little while longer, because I'm not ready to give it up yet! LOL!

We stopped using ours at night when the babies starting sleeping through then night...with DS at 3 months and DD at 7 months. We are all on the same floor and if either one of them make the slightest noise, I wake up. If I hear them loudly and they are really crying, I will go to them. I think the biggest problem with a monitor is that if you hear them on the monitor, you want to go to them. A great part of the time, they will go back to sleep on their own if you give them the chance.

That's why I never used them at night - well, I did with dd13 for a little bit, but I'd end up getting a bottle, and by the time it was ready, she was back to sleep. I definitely think that baby monitors are the source of babies not sleeping through the night!

Syrreal, do have children? If you had any idea what it took to get him here you wouldn't be mocking...and at 14, if I feel the need, I WILL keep it on!

I don't think she was mocking you and calling you overprotective, I think she was making a point that teens might be doing things that need to be monitored (and as someone who really didn't use one, I'd love to have one for dd13, who is on the third floor by herself, equiped with a cellphone, laptop, and webcam!). :scared1:

Lucynme- as others have noted, I wasn't insinuating that you were being over protective. I meant that the teenage years are full of drama that would be easier to understand/help them with/etc if you could hear what was going on in their rooms.
And, yes, I do have a kid. If I really thought that I could, I would totally nannycam him in his teens. As it is, he has a glass door in his room instead of a window and I already see motion sensors and those bells that ring when doors are opened in our future. I know that had I had easy access to sneaking out of my house in my teens, I would have taken it.

DD is 6.5 and it's on each and every night, and her room is right across from our room.

After years of kids getting sick in middle of night or high fevers, it brings a sense of peace to our nights.

Tiger :)

Lucynme- as others have noted, I wasn't insinuating that you were being over protective. I meant that the teenage years are full of drama that would be easier to understand/help them with/etc if you could hear what was going on in their rooms.
And, yes, I do have a kid. If I really thought that I could, I would totally nannycam him in his teens. As it is, he has a glass door in his room instead of a window and I already see motion sensors and those bells that ring when doors are opened in our future. I know that had I had easy access to sneaking out of my house in my teens, I would have taken it.

My apologies to all I have upset for over reacting. I feel like an idiot.:guilty: I look to this forum as solace all too much. And sorry for sort of "hijacking" this thread. I am just SO used to, and sick of, being ridiculed for my outrageous actions when it comes to safety. Like I said it wasn't easy "making" him, and getting him here. And to you, Syrreal in specific. When I am finished this post, I look forward to reading your blog, and hope for some insight from someone who has "been there".:worship: And to "fess" up to more, I have decorative screen doors on the bedrooms to keep the animals out (because closing all doors was out of the question), and already have the chiming door sensors on his door. FYI- they work out quite well!!!;) :rotfl:

And to the creator of this thread, I think it is a personal decision only You can make. :thumbsup2

lucynme- No worries. :)
My kid is only 2 so I have very little insight on anything child related, in fact I might as well have none since every time I think I have him a little figured out, he does a 180 on me and I feel like I'm back at square one.

My DS is 4 and sleeps in a twin size bed and DD is 2 and sleeps in a toddler bed since she is so tiny. We still use a monitor in both of their rooms. The reason behind still using it in my son's room is becuase he has a history of febrile seizures and takes valium when he runs fevers to prevent them. I'm afraid he will start running fever in the middle of the night and have a seizure without us hearing him. I am hard of hearing and my husband is a firefighter so he's gone every third night, so I want to make sure I hear my kids if they need me. I was recently wondering when to stop using the monitor for my DS. His neurologist told us he will grow out of febrile seizures by the time he is in school, so I'll probably use his monitor for another 18 months or so.

My apologies to all I have upset for over reacting. I feel like an idiot.:guilty: I look to this forum as solace all too much. And sorry for sort of "hijacking" this thread. I am just SO used to, and sick of, being ridiculed for my outrageous actions when it comes to safety. Like I said it wasn't easy "making" him, and getting him here. And to you, Syrreal in specific. When I am finished this post, I look forward to reading your blog, and hope for some insight from someone who has "been there".:worship: And to "fess" up to more, I have decorative screen doors on the bedrooms to keep the animals out (because closing all doors was out of the question), and already have the chiming door sensors on his door. FYI- they work out quite well!!!;) :rotfl:

And to the creator of this thread, I think it is a personal decision only You can make. :thumbsup2

As another who took 10 years to get our son, after 4 failed IVF's, a failed adoption of two little girls, being told I couldn't get pregnant, etc. (he ended up being a miracle baby done naturally), I totally get how you feel. I am also over cautious and truly rely on our monitor. DH tries to get me to stop using it as almost 2 year old is right next store, but I can't stop myself. DH also feels it's time for DS to be out of the crib and in a bed; however, I'm fearful of him falling out of bed, getting out of the room, falling down the stairs (bedrooms on second floor), etc. I am working slowly towards the bed, getting a gate for the bedroom door to install, rails for the bed itself, etc., but it is truly hard. I am also very fearful of stairs as he fell down them once; and it's hard to teach him to use them because of MY fears. I force myself to do it daily, but boy does my heart stop. I can't even imagine what I'll be like when he learns to drive - dh will be doing that. Also, dh wants DS to start learning to ice skate for hockey when he's three, I said it's only okay if DH does everything - bringing him to all practices, etc., because I would be just a fearful hindrance and not a help. So know there are others like you out there; and if you ever want to chat, feel free to PM me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter